Prospect Info: 50th Overall - Nikita Chibrikov

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
EXCEPTIONAL pick at #50! He was the #4 skater in Central Scouting (EU) and a concensus 1st round selection in almost all the mock drafts! A+ to the Winnipeg Jets on this one!

Rankings
Ranked #20 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #39 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #21 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #16 by NEUTRAL ZONE
Ranked #24 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #26 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #26 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #4 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #21 by SPORTSNET
Ranked #11 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #13 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #17 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #23 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #26 by SMAHT SCOUTING
Ranked #25 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY
Highlights

If you give him space, a runway through the neutral zone, or a pocket in the offensive end, he will cut around the opposition with a combination of rapid handling and crossovers moves. He locates teammates early in possession sequences and finds ways to reach them by going to his backhand, by saucing the puck above sticks, banking it on the boards, or the goalie’s pads. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide

Chibrikov combines speed and skill to be an unpredictable and elusive winger, EPRinkside.com 2021

He excels at getting the puck up the ice and facilitating high-danger, high-octane offence, EPRinkside.com 2021

..notable puck control. Chibrikov is a smooth puck carrier that can maintain possession in tight spaces (aug), Draftin Europe 2019

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't know why some GM's and also posters are negative on Russian players, but if I was a GM, I'd be all over them. Look at the great Russian players of the past and present that were on Cup winning teams, like Ovechkin, Federov. Kutcherov, Panarin, just to name a few.

In Russia they emphasize skating a lot, and I like the way these guys play, and there's often great deals from that pool of players.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
EXCEPTIONAL pick at #50! He was the #4 skater in Central Scouting (EU) and a concensus 1st round selection in almost all the mock drafts! A+ to the Winnipeg Jets on this one!

Rankings
Ranked #20 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #39 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #21 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #16 by NEUTRAL ZONE
Ranked #24 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #26 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #26 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #4 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #21 by SPORTSNET
Ranked #11 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #13 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #17 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #23 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #26 by SMAHT SCOUTING
Ranked #25 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY
Highlights

If you give him space, a runway through the neutral zone, or a pocket in the offensive end, he will cut around the opposition with a combination of rapid handling and crossovers moves. He locates teammates early in possession sequences and finds ways to reach them by going to his backhand, by saucing the puck above sticks, banking it on the boards, or the goalie’s pads. -EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide

Chibrikov combines speed and skill to be an unpredictable and elusive winger, EPRinkside.com 2021

He excels at getting the puck up the ice and facilitating high-danger, high-octane offence, EPRinkside.com 2021

..notable puck control. Chibrikov is a smooth puck carrier that can maintain possession in tight spaces (aug), Draftin Europe 2019
Which one of above rankings is traditionally the most accurate/best? Say over last 10 years.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yes he is in it. I just read the report and they say he is fantastic in the nz and a gifted playmaker who plays a fearless game. They don't think he'll be much of a goal scorer but he's solid off the puck as well.

So to me he looks like a quick and feisty play driving winger that can likely play in your middle 6. This is the type of player I was looking for in round 1 so I am pretty happy about getting him here.

They seem to really like him. Very physical two separate scouts both said he plays like Blake Coleman. I can’t like that enough.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
What attitude problems

I hope people were joking about that.

What is your take on our newest draft choice? Have to admit I haven’t watched him play much but I love what I am hearing.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of the pick - Russians are always projects or pain in the ass...

Iorio has much greater potential to be a player the Jets can use - we left a 6'3 RHD with offensive upside on the board.

I wonder how hard it was to scout this year, with Covid, and if the Jets aren't relying more on their European scouts, who saw a lot more hockey, and expecting a Russian fallout. Might arrive here at the same time as the Swedes drafted last year.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't know why some GM's and also posters are negative on Russian players, but if I was a GM, I'd be all over them. Look at the great Russian players of the past and present that were on Cup winning teams, like Ovechkin, Federov. Kutcherov, Panarin, just to name a few.

In Russia they emphasize skating a lot, and I like the way these guys play, and there's often great deals from that pool of players.
Russians earn their rep. Kuznetsov is just a recent example of the many. The reality is there just haven't been a great number of Russians making it to the NHL for the last decade and a half at least? They don't give a crap about developing players. Young Russians get shafted with little ice time in leagues they don't belong consistently. If you are talented enough that you can keep up with men and get the time it's fine. If you are that tier lower you get shorted ice time when you need it most. I think thats why you see them produce quality and not a quantity of players.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Yes he is in it. I just read the report and they say he is fantastic in the nz and a gifted playmaker who plays a fearless game. They don't think he'll be much of a goal scorer but he's solid off the puck as well.

So to me he looks like a quick and feisty play driving winger that can likely play in your middle 6. This is the type of player I was looking for in round 1 so I am pretty happy about getting him here.

Is it you, Burmi?

Reactions: libertarian

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Russians earn their rep. Kuznetsov is just a recent example of the many. The reality is there just haven't been a great number of Russians making it to the NHL for the last decade and a half at least? They don't give a crap about developing players. Young Russians get shafted with little ice time in leagues they don't belong consistently. If you are talented enough that you can keep up with men and get the time it's fine. If you are that tier lower you get shorted ice time when you need it most. I think thats why you see them produce quality and not a quantity of players.
You don't understand how russian development works. Not in the slightest. It is extra hilarious in the Chibrikov thread who's got the perfect treatment for his development last season.

Reactions: hn777

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
Can someone here answer why we didn't pick Aatu Raty when he was available to us? Why was he overpassed by so many teams when he is third among European skaters?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Can someone here answer why we didn't pick Aatu Raty when he was available to us? Why was he overpassed by so many teams when he is third among European skaters?

He cratered this year in terms of his production to the degree that there are worries about him in the NHL.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
You don't understand how russian development works. Not in the slightest. It is extra hilarious in the Chibrikov thread who's got the perfect treatment for his development last season.
You're right me and all the NHL The are wrong.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You're right me and all the NHL The are wrong.
All the NHL was wrong about Kaprizov. All the NHL was wrong about Panarin. All the NHL was wrong in every single draft numerous times when it comes to Russians.

And yes, I was right most of those times. Just because it seems I have more knowledge about russian hochey than NHL scouts. It should be embarassing to them. And you should be happy the Jets were this time on the winning side of this beaten to death topic of bad NHL scouting in Russia and got the best Russian available in this draft that late. Other teams will be stuck with their annual weird picks.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
All the NHL was wrong about Kaprizov. All the NHL was wrong about Panarin. All the NHL was wrong in every single draft numerous times when it comes to Russians.

And yes, I was right most of those times. Just because it seems I have more knowledge about russian hochey than NHL scouts. It should be emberassing to them. And you should be happy the Jets were this time on the winning side of this beaten to death topic of bad NHL scouting in Russia and got the best Russian available in this draft that late. Other teams will be stuck with their annual weird picks.
Actually, McKenzie accurately measured the opinions of NHL scouts in his annual list, and Chibrikov was rated #24. But team lists can lead to unpredictable draft results, with a player like Chibrikov falling despite high general ratings.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Actually, McKenzie accurately measured the opinions of NHL scouts in his annual list, and Chibrikov was rated #24. But team lists can lead to unpredictable draft results, with a player like Chibrikov falling despite high general ratings.
ALL NHL scouts rated Chibrikov below Svechkov and mostly too low. Every Russian would rate Chibrikov as the best Russian available in this draft class though. And NHL experts and pros drafted THREE russian forwards ahead of him. At this point I don't give a damn about what NA GMs, scouts and analysts think about russian prospects. They just don't do their homework. With Svechkov being a center and a bit younger you could go on and have a discussion about why one would rate Svechkov higher(but definitely not 31 picks higher). The other two picks just had me break out in laughter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad