Prospect Info: 50th Overall - Nikita Chibrikov

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
All the NHL was wrong about Kaprizov. All the NHL was wrong about Panarin. All the NHL was wrong in every single draft numerous times when it comes to Russians.

And yes, I was right most of those times. Just because it seems I have more knowledge about russian hochey than NHL scouts. It should be emberassing to them. And you should be happy the Jets were this time on the winning side of this beaten to death topic of bad NHL scouting in Russia and got the best Russian available in this draft that late. Other teams will be stuck with their annual weird picks.

I have no problem with Russian development, I think the main concern is the lure of the KHL and the difficulty in bringing these guys over. The big stars are going to make more in the NHL than the KHL, but guys who might need development to play at the NHL level may just decide not to come over to play in the minors and instead make better money at home where they are more comfortable.

I don't get that vibe from Chibrikov necessarily but I think it might be 2 or 3 years before he makes it over to North America.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I hope he stays in Russia for a few years to develop before making the move over. I think he's in a great spot to keep developing right now in his home country.

Kaprizov spent 5 or so years playing in Russia but the wild were patient and did it ever pay off for them.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We're gonna love this kid if we can get him to come over. Its nice we actually drafted a Russian for once as we have been ignoring a pretty large player base for some time now.

Reactions: GNP and kellhunter
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
All the NHL was wrong about Kaprizov. All the NHL was wrong about Panarin. All the NHL was wrong in every single draft numerous times when it comes to Russians.

And yes, I was right most of those times. Just because it seems I have more knowledge about russian hochey than NHL scouts. It should be emberassing to them. And you should be happy the Jets were this time on the winning side of this beaten to death topic of bad NHL scouting in Russia and got the best Russian available in this draft that late. Other teams will be stuck with their annual weird picks.

The Russian Avgaard has spoken. And his English grammar is far better!!

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

All the NHL was wrong about Kaprizov how? That he had a contract with the KHL? They though he would be difficult to get out of Russia? That he might be difficult to deal with because of that? I don't recall talent being the issue. He was ranked 29th by NHL Central Scouting. Finnally he comes over 6 years later to play a few games and he is already threatening to go back home. Sounds like exactly what they were worried about.

If you want to act like Panarin was Panarin in his draft year, you are just rewriting history. If you pull a quote about being mad he wasn't drafted high in the first round in his draft year I'm going to be out of my mind impressed.

I don't believe you about being better than NHL scout because of your genius when it comes to your Russian scouting. You sound ridiculous. I don't think you are aware of the actual number of Russians in the NHL. You would be betting on no more than 3 maybe 4 per draft and nailing each one while ignoring the rest of the class and have the entire NHL whiff.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Definitely adding to the Jets hot factor.

Stay tuned for more cutting edge commentary on how attractive the Jets organization is.

Also, his name is actually НИКИТА ЧИБРИКОВ, so make sure yo u use it going forward

View attachment 455827

Good thing I know how to read and write in Cyrillic :laugh:

Reactions: macmaroon

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I have no problem with Russian development, I think the main concern is the lure of the KHL and the difficulty in bringing these guys over. The big stars are going to make more in the NHL than the KHL, but guys who might need development to play at the NHL level may just decide not to come over to play in the minors and instead make better money at home where they are more comfortable.

I don't get that vibe from Chibrikov necessarily but I think it might be 2 or 3 years before he makes it over to North America.
You'll never be able to explain what exactly the difficulty would be of "bringing them over" as so far not a single prospect decided to stay in Russia forever and never tried to make the NHL. It is clearly a narrative based on irrational fears and fake feels. It is a Mandela effect thing by now. It never happened, but people keep talking about it like it did.

And then what is the actual problem with them developing in the KHL? The KHL is miles better at developing Russians than the AHL.

And to round that up the only ones you should care about playing in the NHL right after the draft or in their D+1 year are the very few Top5 picks maybe. For everybody else 2-3 years outside the NHL after the draft are the norm. Chibrikov is the best Russian in this draft, but certainly no Top5 talent.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
You'll never be able to explain what exactly the difficulty would be of "bringing them over" as so far not a single prospect decided to stay in Russia forever and never tried to make the NHL. It is clearly a narrative based on irrational fears and fake feels. It is a Mandela effect thing by now. It never happened, but people keep talking about it like it did.

And then what is the actual problem with them developing in the KHL? The KHL is miles better at developing Russians than the AHL.

And to round that up the only ones you should care about playing in the NHL right after the draft or in their D+1 year are the very few Top5 picks maybe. For everybody else 2-3 years outside the NHL after the draft are the norm. Chibrikov is the best Russian in this draft, but certainly no Top5 talent.

Like I said I have no issues with developing them in Russia, but a lot of teams want to develop their guys in their own system where they have some influence on their development path. I doubt SKA is really going to care about what the Jets want when it comes to the player.

The Russian factor is often made a bigger deal than it is but it's there. The Jets just picked a player in the 5th round who didn't get picked last year because of concerns he didn't want to come to North America. It's becoming less of a thing now that more and more Russians are coming to play junior hockey in North America, but it still happens and that lack of input in a player's development does scare off teams.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Then I can tell them добар дан (and they probably will understand me) :laugh:

I think that should be...

upload_2021-7-24_21-9-6.png

:nod:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Who cares where a player is from? As long as they are good players and a good person that's all i care about and i totally trust our scouts.

I don't care where a player is from - but Russian players have *sometimes* been hard to bring over and then hard to keep, especially in less desirable cities. It is an issue.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Yes, he shortened his name from the original Troubakov
And I heard a rumor Laine's family migrated west from Russia: they were originally Lainekovs
And don't forget Evander Kanikov....

:sarcasm:

You forgot Mark Dmitri Stulikov :laugh:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Like I said I have no issues with developing them in Russia, but a lot of teams want to develop their guys in their own system where they have some influence on their development path. I doubt SKA is really going to care about what the Jets want when it comes to the player.

I see this as a control obsession. Of course SKA won't care about what the Jets want nor should they, but they will teach the kid hockey, like they do with others. And they will do it better than the Jets because north american coaches have no grasp of how hockey is taught in Russia. The problem with those kids is they should finish the russian development program first, then learn the NHL system. Otherwise they leave too early stuck with a lot of unfinished business in Russia and start over in NA and often fail. With Podkolzin gone there is roster spot open for exactly Chibrikov.

The Russian factor is often made a bigger deal than it is but it's there. The Jets just picked a player in the 5th round who didn't get picked last year because of concerns he didn't want to come to North America. It's becoming less of a thing now that more and more Russians are coming to play junior hockey in North America, but it still happens and that lack of input in a player's development does scare off teams.
This IS the problem, not the solution. They tend to fail if they do that.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I see this as a control obsession. Of course SKA won't care about what the Jets want nor should they, but they will teach the kid hockey, like they do with others. And they will do it better than the Jets because north american coaches have no grasp of how hockey is taught in Russia. The problem with those kids is they should finish the russian development program first, then learn the NHL system. Otherwise they leave too early stuck with a lot of unfinished business in Russia and start over in NA and often fail. With Podkolzin gone there is roster spot open for exactly Chibrikov.

This IS the problem, not the solution. They tend to fail if they do that.

Definitely it's a control thing, but that's why teams don't like it. I'm not saying it's a positive but teams love control so they tend to weigh that against talent.

I can think of one pretty high profile failure of a Russian prospect who came to play junior in NA but I think its a bit too new a trend to judge it just yet. I think a few of them came over to improve their chances of making the NHL and the reality was they probably just weren't good enough.

Reactions: TS Quint

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Definitely it's a control thing, but that's why teams don't like it. I'm not saying it's a positive but teams love control so they tend to weigh that against talent.

I can think of one pretty high profile failure of a Russian prospect who came to play junior in NA but I think its a bit too new a trend to judge it just yet. I think a few of them came over to improve their chances of making the NHL and the reality was they probably just weren't good enough.

I think maturity plays a factor too. Coming over when your an adult and not a teenager has its advantages. What really scares away some teams is when guys come over at 22+ they often times don't want to do the AHL thing as the money isnt worth it so for them its make the NHL or go home or don't come over at all if its likely they start in the AHL. Which becomes a wasted asset at the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad