50 in 50 Tracker

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
No it wouldn't. Matthews has 50 goals in his last 79 regular season games. Anything less than 50 this year would be a letdown...
That is misleading since the 7 goals this past 4 games (which puts him at that 50 goals in 79 games pace) have come at the start of the season where players normally put up big numbers and defences and goaltenders are sieves. These goalscoring rates change drastically as the year goes on and scoring drops substantially league wide, look at Ovi’s start last year as an example; he didn’t even crack 50 at seasons end, no player did.

Matthews is one of the absolute best goal-scorers in the NHL right now and in this day and age the best goalscorer in the league maybe puts up 50 in a season.

For reference, no one scored 50 goals last year or the year before. The last 50 goal scorer was Ovechkin who scored exactly 50 in 2015-16. Indeed, no one not named Ovechkin has scored 50+ goals since 2011-12. Only one man has scored 50+ goals in a season in the last six years, and no one has done it in the past two years.

50 goals in a season is a rarity in today’s NHL. If Matthews can accomplish that feat he is in rare company.

Last edited:

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Lol jeez don’t set unrealistic expectations or anything.

30 in the nhl now gets you a top end contract. You guys better hope he doesn’t hit 50.

Leafs will be having fans play defence nights as it is just to stay cap compliant soon
Well my Leafs have shown that signing Nylander is completely obsolete now, so they can use that Money on Matthews too. And Matthews better get more than Tavares since he's our best player. Would love to see Matthews get more than McDavid as well, so we could have the bragging rights when it comes to who has the biggest contract. :)

Reactions: Steerpike

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Well my Leafs have shown that signing Nylander is completely obsolete now, so they can use that Money on Matthews too. And Matthews better get more than Tavares since he's our best player. Would love to see Matthews get more than McDavid as well, so we could have the bragging rights when it comes to who has the biggest contract. :)
Lol I question some of your dreams. But I like your spirit

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
50 in 50..... Yikes

I mean anything is possible, but I would be happy with 50 over a full season, and about 45-50 assists.

If he put up 50 in 50, I would be thoroughly impressed.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Me too. All non-Leaf fans look forward to the days in the near future when they have to let players go to stay under the cap.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Me too. All non-Leaf fans look forward to the days in the near future when they have to let players go to stay under the cap.
My Leafs won't have to let anybody go, Unless you count Nylander, but most of us Leafs fans have already moved on from Nylander since it's clear we don't need him. We'll sign Matthews and Marner to big Money deals. And we'll fill out the rest of the roster with the picks and prospects we'll get when we move Nylander.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
There is about a great as chance as Taylor Swift walking into my bedroom tonight than we have an NHL player netting 50 goals in 50 games.

How about something more realistic like, a 50 goals in 82 games tracker (seeing that didn't happen last season)?

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Nobody's going to end up with 50 in 50 but Mackinnon has 3 goals in 3 games shooting at 15.8%.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
There is about a great as chance as Taylor Swift walking into my bedroom tonight than we have an NHL player netting 50 goals in 50 games.

How about something more realistic like, a 50 goals in 82 games tracker (seeing that didn't happen last season)?

The thing is no one tracks 50 goal seasons as a milestone but 50 in 50 has been one for many many years.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
They have been making these threads for many years now even though it hasn't happened it 20+ years.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
matthews is DEFINITELY scoring 50 in 50. maybe tavares too. and dont sleep on marner. i also think when nylander returns, he is a candidate.

This smells like an intentional jinx post, when, typed with said intention produces an opposite result.

:nod:

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
the closest anyone has gotten since the last time it happened was OV from the back half of 12/13 to the first half of 13/14: 49 goals in 52 games

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Gotta do tables man!

I enjoy reading these things even though they usually tend to die around game 20 or so ;p

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
This smells like an intentional jinx post, when, typed with said intention produces an opposite result.

:nod:

yeah dude! he's definitely going to score 50 in 50

Gotta do tables man!

I enjoy reading these things even though they usually tend to die around game 20 or so ;p

when in reality, these things should even start til at least 20 games or so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad