Post-Game Talk: 5-4 NYR: Another great performance in net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
What is hilarious about this year is we have the same problems from last year: bad bottom six, missing a top 4 dman. Now goaltending is added on to both of those.

Thing is they aren't even making an attempt to fix any of those issues...what are they banking on? We'll just go on a magical winning streak and make the playoffs?

Agreed.

I’d rather just tank than squeeze into the last playoff spot only to get slaughtered in 4 games.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
What is hilarious about this year is we have the same problems from last year: bad bottom six, missing a top 4 dman. Now goaltending is added on to both of those.

Thing is they aren't even making an attempt to fix any of those issues...what are they banking on? We'll just go on a magical winning streak and make the playoffs?
Disagree because our forward group is way better this year. Last year they needed top 6 forward help which they got. Defense is also improved because Kis is way better than Petro. No win streak is coming because the goalies just suck but at the same time the team is way too good to tank and going to draft like 11th.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Might be some moves tomorrow. Tbirds just played 3 in 3. We don’t play til Tuesday so hopefully there’s a minor shakeup. Would like Greco and hawryluk up here and Malgin and Haley can sit. Lammikko hawryluk and hunt could provide something on the 4th line. Send Malgin down. He has done nothing to stay

catEye

The Barkov Era
Dec 27, 2008
Miami, FL.
A trade would not fix this mess because you would have to give up something that already works here and need. This is the ongoing saga of the Panthers poor drafting over years after years. No D decent depth and no decent goalie replacement in site. Now they'll focus all in D/Goalie drafting and forget the offense . No balancet. Scouting team is pathetic, not at fault, no money has been invested there. You get what you paid for.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
A trade would not fix this mess because you would have to give up something that already works here and need. This is the ongoing saga of the Panthers poor drafting over years after years. No D decent depth and no decent goalie replacement in site. Now they'll focus all in D/Goalie drafting and forget the offense . No balancet. Scouting team is pathetic, not at fault, no money has been invested there. You get what you paid for.
Honestly the goalie thing might be on Tallon now (28 games in and no moves) but who saw this coming?

Luongo as predicted would be hurt a lot, but when he has played, he's looked much worse than last year
Reimer is somehow having the worst year of his career for no particular reason. He's not hurt, not old, and not a young goalie.
Hutchinson was extremely bad (I and most others liked that signing).

I don't think anyone saw all that happening, particularly Reimer. He's a half goal and 20 points off his career save percentage, and he legitimately looks like he can't find the puck when he's in net. Maybe Tallas should go? idk...

Reactions: I am not exposed

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Your still doing it. If player x doesn’t make a mistake the scoring chance doesn’t happen. Ya we get it. The goalie still has to do what every other average goalie in the league does and make some saves. Period. Cut and dry. Other goalies around the league are doing it. Ours aren’t. That’s all there is to it

Your ignorance on this topic, and any others who share you view, will end when you realize NOTHING about this game is cut and dry. ESPECIALLY goaltending.

The fact that you pin every goal on the goalie is nauseating when those that argue aren't even pinning every goal on the defense as you imply. Nor are we saying the goaltending has even been good.

The stats are never cut and dry. Beezer on the Islanders and then Beezer on the Devils. Beezer sucks and is too old for the islanders, then plays for the devils and then what?

Last edited:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
I think a lot of the debate here is trying to frame things in context of the new NHL. More goals are being scored, more comebacks are occuring, some older players that were successful just aren't adjusting well.

So our offense looks great to some, because compared to prior years we're scoring more, but it's actually just a league average offense.

Our D looks bad sometimes, but a lot of D looks bad because more mistakes are being made by everyone and there is more emphasis on offense. Our D is probably ok, also about average.

Our goalies look terrible, but there are reasons. Reimer obviously is worse, and I think the equipment change impacted him more than others as he has complained about himself. His sv% is down 20 points from last year, league is down about 10 points. Lu got hurt in game 1 and hasn't recovered since. He was probably good for about 40 games.

All of this is to say that we are basically average in most categories and bad in goal. So why doesn't our GM do something? I think this is where most of the blame should be at this point given no moves at all except some injury call ups.

This year the NHL has had the most in season trades in a long time. Execs are saying that others are more willing to be trade partners because teams are identifying what is wrong early in the season and trying to address the problem.

It's pretty clear this team is on track to miss the playoffs, whether you think it's just the goalies or whatever. Why are we doing nothing? Is Tallon even still working? I really don't understand. Is there something keeping monty and borg in the AHL we don't know about? This makes no sense. Feels like the expansion draft all over again. Like they are trying to properly lose or something.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Reactions: CHGoalie27

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
All of this is to say that we are basically average in most categories and bad in goal. So why doesn't our GM do something? I think this is where most of the blame should be at this point given no moves at all except some injury call ups.

This year the NHL has had the most in season trades in a long time. Execs are saying that others are more willing to be trade partners because teams are identifying what is wrong early in the season and trying to address the problem.

It's pretty clear this team is on track to miss the playoffs, whether you think it's just the goalies or whatever. Why are we doing nothing? Is Tallon even still working? I really don't understand. Is there something keeping monty and borg in the AHL we don't know about? This makes no sense. Feels like the expansion draft all over again. Like they are trying to properly lose or something.
What goalies are available? Phillie, Blues, NJD, CHI, etc are having goalie problems as well. Who have they traded for? Yeah, maybe there has been more in season trades this year than many other years, but how many of these trades have been goalies?
Montembeault has a worse SV% in the AHL than Hutchinson, so I don't see why he's seen as an answer or some sort of savior at this point in time.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
Disagree because our forward group is way better this year. Last year they needed top 6 forward help which they got. Defense is also improved because Kis is way better than Petro. No win streak is coming because the goalies just suck but at the same time the team is way too good to tank and going to draft like 11th.
lou has had it.i take reimer over lou!!!!! we should have won that game in regulation and then lou can't stop 1 player during the shoot out and what's even more unbelievable is that every ranger made the same exact move and lou couldn't stop any of them. his movement side to side seems very flawed, especially to his stick side. another game where lou was severely outplayed in net by an opposing goalie. i'm afraid he just doesn't have it anymore. he's been great and i respect him, he'll probably play some good games in the future, but i fear his bad games will far outnumber his good games. could be time to call it a career.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
lou has had it.i take reimer over lou!!!!! we should have won that game in regulation and then lou can't stop 1 player during the shoot out and what's even more unbelievable is that every ranger made the same exact move and lou couldn't stop any of them. his movement side to side seems very flawed, especially to his stick side. another game where lou was severely outplayed in net by an opposing goalie. i'm afraid he just doesn't have it anymore. he's been great and i respect him, he'll probably play some good games in the future, but i fear his bad games will far outnumber his good games. could be time to call it a career.
I don't give simple answers often, but here it is- 'No.'

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
You do realize that as bad as Luo has been, Reimer has been the equivalent of even worse dog shit? Reimer hasn’t made a stop all year lmao. You want to talk about side to side movement? Reimer sucks ass. Maybe you missed all the games...

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
What goalies are available? Phillie, Blues, NJD, CHI, etc are having goalie problems as well. Who have they traded for? Yeah, maybe there has been more in season trades this year than many other years, but how many of these trades have been goalies?
Montembeault has a worse SV% in the AHL than Hutchinson, so I don't see why he's seen as an answer or some sort of savior at this point in time.
Bobrovsky has a worse sv% than Markstrom and Kinkaid

Tell me how you'd rather have them than Bob please.

@vendetta ^ your cut and dry numbers say Markstrom, and a whole bunch of others, are better than Bobrovsky :)

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

@vendetta ^ your cut and dry numbers say Markstrom, and a whole bunch of others, are better than Bobrovsky :)
Tell me how comparing two goalies on the same team is even remotely analogous to comparing goalies on different teams? :help:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

Again I don't advocate trading for a goalie right now. We'll get fleeced. But why not some sort of shake up? Trade petro who wants out anyways? I dunno, do something to light their ass. This isn't me playing couch GM, other execs do this and it works. Players will say a trade wakes them up.

I know, then you'll say we can't win with our goalies. But I've already pointed out how our offense and defense is about average, maybe if they played better then it could cover for our crappy goalies. I don't know, but what we are doing now isn't working.

Why not bring up Monty? He may not be the savior we need, but do we know that for sure? Why are we not even trying?

The management is literally sitting still while the season is being wasted away. I'm not taking about fire sale here, but clearly something needs to change if they want to save this season. Maybe they think it's already a lost cause, that's there only explanation I can come up with other than they are stupid enough to keep trying the same thing that isn't working. I'm not sure which explanation is worst.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

My cut and dry numbers say our goalies are playing like shit. My eyes tell me the same thing when I watch the games and the goalie at the other end is consistently making tough saves and our goalies simply don’t. So yes it’s cut and dry

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
My cut and dry numbers say our goalies are playing like ****. My eyes tell me the same thing when I watch the games and the goalie at the other end is consistently making tough saves and our goalies simply don’t. So yes it’s cut and dry
..soo Bobrovsky < Markstrom or Kinkaid it is for you after all??

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
OK~ Halak > Rask?
That's more like it. Halak is having a better season but Rask is having a better December. So I'd give more start to Rask unless Halak goes back to form and outplay Rask.

You play the guy that gives you the best chance to win, you don't play a goalie simply because he was better last season, that's just stupid. Goalies have been affected by a significant equipment change and some of them are having a better time adjusting to it than others.

If you are asking who I'd rather have, then that depends on what the trade is for since non-thrash goalies will come with a hefty price tag.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
WE gotta be prepared for Tuesday! It could be ugly in St.Louis. They just came off a bad loss against the Canucks and now they started to fight in practice LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad