Post-Game Talk: 5-4 NYR: Another great performance in net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Bobrovsky just gave up 10 so his numbers are skewed. And how goalies are doing elsewhere is not a concern. Our team's being bad is.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Bobrovsky just gave up 10 so his numbers are skewed. And how goalies are doing elsewhere is not a concern. Our team's being bad is.
That's what I pointed out about Monty and his numbers last year.

Stats not being cut and dry was my point, or even necessarily indicative of the goalies play whatsoever. Obviously not that I actually think @vendetta or @klabob would take Kinkaid or Markstrom over Bobrovsky because of a bad quarter of a regular season. I know they know that.
What does this have to do with our goaltending? Markstrom was playing
Lights out at the beginning of the year. Irrelevant post
Markstrom and Kinkaid are not better than Bobrovsky. Yet they have better numbers. Nor do I think either of those two would be better than Reimer. But there they are and here our goalie is. So now I ask- what might be the problem with goalies with bad stats? According to everything you guys have been saying- it's because they suck. Boom. Done. Cut and Dry. Is that the case?

I wanna know what bNb deleted lol. @I am not exposed

Last edited:

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
I don't think anyone here is relying solely on the numbers, they're watching the games. It'd be one thing if Reimer's and Luongo's numbers were bad despite playing well, but they've both been bad this year, there's no other way around it.

Luongo is at the end of his career, there's nothing wrong with that. Athletes get old and they can't keep up, that is what is happening to Luongo, his body just can't take it anymore. Reimer? He's always been an average at best goalie that can get hot at times with limited action. He never should have been considered a solution in net, the contract was questionable even at the time.

These guys are in the show to make the difficult saves, not just the routine ones, and even then our goalies have been struggling this year.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I don't think anyone here is relying solely on the numbers, they're watching the games. It'd be one thing if Reimer's and Luongo's numbers were bad despite playing well, but they've both been bad this year, there's no other way around it.

Luongo is at the end of his career, there's nothing wrong with that. Athletes get old and they can't keep up, that is what is happening to Luongo, his body just can't take it anymore. Reimer? He's always been an average at best goalie that can get hot at times with limited action. He never should have been considered a solution in net, the contract was questionable even at the time.

These guys are in the show to make the difficult saves, not just the routine ones, and even then our goalies have been struggling this year.
Luongo hasn't exactly been bad this year either, he's been hurt, and he's been incredible thru his wins and he's looked great thru the losses except some of the plays that resulted in goals. His aged body not holding up is causing injury, not poor play. I think he would've been the difference in half the games Reimer lost (and it's that half why I don't defend Reimer as much as I have in the past).

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Luongo hasn't exactly been bad this year either, he's been hurt, and he's been incredible thru his wins and he's looked great thru the losses except some of the plays that resulted in goals. His aged body not holding up is causing injury, not poor play. I think he would've been the difference in half the games Reimer lost (and it's that half why I don't defend Reimer as much as I have in the past).

Being hurt doesnt excuse you from being bad.

If he is bad because he is hurt, then he is still bad. Further, if he is hurt, then he shouldnt play. Either play and be good or be hurt. We dont have the luxury of providing "excuses." He has had good games, he has had bad games. By hand, he has been good in 7 of the games he has played. Really good. Otherwise, he has been just ok.

Unfortunately, ok is better than Jame Reimer.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Being hurt doesnt excuse you from being bad.

If he is bad because he is hurt, then he is still bad. Further, if he is hurt, then he shouldnt play. Either play and be good or be hurt. We dont have the luxury of providing "excuses." He has had good games, he has had bad games. By hand, he has been good in 7 of the games he has played. Really good. Otherwise, he has been just ok.

Unfortunately, ok is better than Jame Reimer.
f***, I didn't mean it like that, like how I meant it for Bjugstad. I meant he's been absent, missed games.

I don't think he has been the cause of any losses where I felt a different goalie would've made the difference because some of the saves he made in those losses likely wouldn't be had by a goalie of a lower status (he's still in the top tier, all his wins prove it) giving the same end result. Again, as much as I defend Reimer, even I can't say the same with him.

Last edited:

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I understand not giving up too much futures for now, but there won't be a future in sunrise if this team continues to be subpar team that always misses the playoffs.

It's hard to convince myself to watch entire games on Fox sports. One thing for the team to suck in 2010-12, it's another thing for them to be bad in 2018.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
As much as I've been shitting on Luongo lately, it's easily forgotten by myself and others that he's had just five bad games.

We're acting like it's a whole season of bad play.

And we forget that he's had 5 wins, where he's been stellar in each.

I still think his health is #1 right now. Yea, losing blows, but it's softened a bit if he comes out healthy as it at least allows for the possibility for an improved performance the next time out....as opposed to there being no next time out.

Reactions: I am not exposed

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Bet it's fun being a Lightning fan. Those guys are killing it.

-ghoste
Lol, I've thought that for a while. Now that team has DEPTH..... They seem to just insert a young great player every year on top of the core they already have. First class organization in every way.
Meanwhile, we still can't figure out a second line.... or third.

Reactions: Ghoste

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Bet it's fun being a Lightning fan. Those guys are killing it.

-ghoste
It absolutely starts at the TOP. The owners, followed by the GM they hire.

They don’t have any major controversies even when they don’t quite achieve what they set out to do. The players can focus on playing.

And then there’s the scouting and drafting. And the coaching, all on the same page for the most part.

We on the other hand.... maybe it IS the curse.

Reactions: Ghoste

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Again I don't advocate trading for a goalie right now. We'll get fleeced. But why not some sort of shake up? Trade petro who wants out anyways? I dunno, do something to light their ass. This isn't me playing couch GM, other execs do this and it works. Players will say a trade wakes them up.

I know, then you'll say we can't win with our goalies. But I've already pointed out how our offense and defense is about average, maybe if they played better then it could cover for our crappy goalies. I don't know, but what we are doing now isn't working.

Why not bring up Monty? He may not be the savior we need, but do we know that for sure? Why are we not even trying?

The management is literally sitting still while the season is being wasted away. I'm not taking about fire sale here, but clearly something needs to change if they want to save this season. Maybe they think it's already a lost cause, that's there only explanation I can come up with other than they are stupid enough to keep trying the same thing that isn't working. I'm not sure which explanation is worst.
Well, they did do something in the offseason. And the offseason before that, and the offseason before that.
I mean, they may not have any actual movement right now, but they have been one of the more active managements in the league over that last few years. And who knows what they might be trying to do.
I think the Panthers' management might think that they have done a good amount of things to try to get this roster in the right position.
But still, they might be trying to do something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad