GDT: 5/26/16 - 8:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #2 Pittsburgh [ECF GAME 7]

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
You know those games Bishop stole for us? We needed one of those in this series. Vasy played well but not great.

I thought he had that type of game in games 2 and 7. Badly outplayed in both but still one goal games and one went to OT. It's hard to ask him to do much more than he did in this series, he's the biggest reason the series went as long as it did IMO.

Sucks to end the way it did but still proud of the team for this season. They overcame a lot of injuries throughout the year and the finalist hangover to get this far but just lost to a better team in the end. Interesting offseason ahead that's going to shape this team going forward.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
I thought he had that type of game in games 2 and 7. Badly outplayed in both but still one goal games and one went to OT. It's hard to ask him to do much more than he did in this series, he's the biggest reason the series went as long as it did IMO.

Sucks to end the way it did but still proud of the team for this season. They overcame a lot of injuries throughout the year and the finalist hangover to get this far but just lost to a better team in the end. Interesting offseason ahead that's going to shape this team going forward.

Vasilevskiy keeps his team in games. Bishop steals his team games. Vasi didn't lose the series for the Lightning. Bishop would have won the series for the Lightning.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
We thought we could stretch pass and play 20 min of hockey every game into the Stanley Cup. Eventually, the team that skates and puts shots on net for a full 60 is the one that prevails.

I'd be bummed if I thought we deserved this series or wouldn't get buried by SJ, but that's not the case.

Some afterthoughts going to the offseason:

Cooper - Yzerman needs to look long and hard at the mentality he's bringing to this team. This could easily be a back-to-back Stanley Cup winning team if he managed his rosters/players better, didn't promote such a finesse, perfectionist style of play, and got his guys motivated/prepared for postseason games. I honestly think when you can admit you have the talent to win a Cup and it might be the coach holding you back, it's time to start considering other options. In a vacuum that might sound ludicrous given SCF and ECF appearances in consecutive seasons, but I remain extremely underwhelmed with Cooper's coaching.

Spot on for Cooper. I don't think you fire him without someone else already in mind and with some sort of commitment. Cooper is a good coach but not necessarily the best coach for our style and age of team.

Stralman - I give him a pass based on the injury. His minutes should have been limited as soon as his immense struggles became a trend. This one's on coaching (see above).

I also think Hedman's play immediately dropped when Stralman came back. Not sure why. He was a stud all year but was clearly not up to 100% when he came back. He got passed by at the blue line a few too many times in the Pens series for my liking but he will be fine next year (when healthy).

Hedman - Dude is both Jekyl and Hyde. He'll win you games and make rookie mistakes the next. I suppose I'm his biggest critic cause I've been saying he's defensively overrated for years. I think he's always going to leave a meh taste in my mouth.
I though Heddy was a monster up until the Pens series. Then his play dropped off. Thought he really carried play for long stretches in the first 2 series.

Drouin - His potential far outweighs the few mental lapses he makes here and there. Hopefully, he has wants to stay in Tampa. But I wouldn't blame him, given how Cooper has treated him, if he wants to bail. He is a must re-sign. The kid is a star.

Could not agree more, kid proved what a stud he really is. What will really shape our team next year is does he want to stay??? If he stays we are in good shape regardless of Stamkos. If he wants to leave he should get quite the ransom but I see that more in picks or younger prospects as opposed to a direct replacement caliber player. That makes our future team better but we are worse in the short term.

Filppula - I don't think you can re-sign a guy just to win faceoffs. Unless you can Manchurian Candidate him to start shooting, I think you gotta try and trade him. He's not even close to being worth 5 mil a year.
I own a Flip jersey and he had an incredible 1st year with us, but sorry to say I think he has to go. He is versatile but paid a lot for mostly winning faceoffs. I think there are much cheaper options out there or use Names more in that role.

Palat - What happened to him!? Maybe the biggest decline of anyone on the team? I'm baffled as to what to do with him.
I think Palat was actually really bad in the Pens series. Even defensively he was terrible. Can't explain it, maybe sophomore slump? But he was a disappointment this year in the POs.

TJ - Someone teach this kid to play defense. Please.
TJ was also a little disappointing offensively. Maybe he just way over achieved last year? Thought he could have been better, although he did take a beating again.
Stammer - It's been a fun ride, but for the love of god don't pay him 10+ mil. Let him rot in Toronto if he wants to get paid.

Hate to see him go, but he can only stay for the right price.

Paquette - Dump
Paqman has played hurt most of the year from what I heard from local sports radio. Does not make a lot, decent enough bottom 6 guy.
Koekkoek - Needs to be a permanent fixture on the D.
probably would have seen more time during the year this year if we had a different coach etc. I think he will be a regular next year with the Bolts! Looking forward to DeAngelo eventually joining him up with the big boys!
Sustr - Can't believe the turnaround this guy has had. Major props for stepping up, especially on the biggest stage.
I disagree here, I thought he was decent enough until the Pens series. He seems to lose his confidence during that series and played scared. I thought he was excellent the first year he was here, played smart defense. Last year he was not very good, and this year he has progressed over last year, but I still don't think he is good as he was his first year. I think the additional minutes he has been asked to play have exposed more of his weaknesses this year.
Carle - DUMP. No explanation needed.

Callahan & Boyle - Love you guys. Get 4 more just like them.
Agreed although Cally does make a lot of money. I think we will need to buy him out or trade him before his contract is up, I am happy to have him back next year. Adds a lot of items to the team, even if its not always on the scoresheet.

All the above is mostly nitpicking the team. Pretty happy overall with how well they played despite all the injuries etc. Really there is only 1 team's fan base each year who is actually happy with the year's results. Given that we did not get the cup pretty happy with how the team battled.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
This is ludicrous. We're the only team in 2016 to have make the Pens lose two consecutive games, and we didn't have Bishop, Stamkos and Stralman was a liability. That's what happens when you play a better team though, they make you look bad, disinterested and lazy. Last but not least, this playoffs campaign showed our team is not as deep as we all first thought. Last year wasn't a coincidence.

Anyone thinking Cooper should be fired is having unrealistic expectations. You maybe don't like him but his effectiveness is above criticism.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Fair is firing a coach that has blown several consecutive 3-1 leads. Cooper hasn't done anything near as bad as that.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I wasn't suggesting that Cooper be fired in the offseason. I just meant that it wouldn't surprise me Yzerman started weighing his options if he has doubts about Cooper (like some of us do).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I really hate to say it, but it would be 100% fair to fire Cooper. The team technically did surpass expectations, especially given their injury history this year, however whenever a team shows basically NO get up and go games 6 & 7 of the third-f*ing-round, the coach should be probably be fired.

They also didn't seem to give a half-damn in games 2 and 3 either, plus there was a nearly epic meltdown in game 4. The problem with that theory is that there's no better replacement out there, right now at least.

I'm really pissed at these guys, though. To look so disinterested in such important games, well it's actually morally repugnant to me.

It's so easy to accuse a team of being "disinterested."

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
Third season in a row. Bishop gets injured. Lightning immediately crater.

I'm an outsider so my opinion may have little to no value, but I didn't see a team crater at all. I saw a very evenly matched series that came down to a one goal game which was, for you, on the road.

Nobody in Pittsburgh took the Lightning lightly and, believe me, after game 5 there was more talk about how many changes would need made in the offseason and if MAF had played his last game here than there was about us winning two in a row against Vasi.

Good on him. Always thought very highly of Stamkos and that has to be tough after flying home at 3:00 AM just getting knocked out of the playoffs to stop and sign autographs and take pictures.

Awesome series that I am ultimately glad the Pens won, but anyone thinking this couldn't have went either way is fooling themselves.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
most of this is sour milk hope all of you feel differently now a week is gone

We got tired only certain guys still had jump we played hedman more than he could handle it caught up to him

drouin took half the season off had a jump:)

go figure this is not rocket science people

if we hadnt done job first two rounds this probably would have been a lot worse

pittsburgh is legit again plain and simple

they just did same thing to san jose did to us in first period than penalties till than they dominated was 2-0 now 2-1 it should have been 4-1 at least

san jose had 4 shots to net in first we have seen that ourselves huh?

cooper did everything he could saying tyjo didnt show up kucherov etc.. i feel sorry for those that feel that way.

they are still humans try going to play that fast for one shift yourself see how tired you are than go for 10 mins like hedman see if you can talk to reporters

hockey players are the most amazing athletes in the world but they are human:)

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Nope Sharks suck too! Blow up that team, fire their coach after game 1, they will never win! Don't give Pens any credit! :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad