GDT: 5/26/16 - 8:00PM EDT - #2 Tampa Bay @ #2 Pittsburgh [ECF GAME 7]

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
With Bishop in there's no doubt we win this series. The team plays WAY better in front of him.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Just woke up and still feel sick. Where was the effort!!!

At least you got to sleep it off somewhat. I just got home from work. Needless to say today wasn't my most productive day ever. :laugh:

I feel a lot less angry than I thought I would feel. I'm just disappointed and heartbroken. Empty feeling would be correct word I guess. It sucks that we'll have to wait until fall to see Lightning hockey again. It should be a pretty busy summer at least compared to last so we'll have something to talk about.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
In the end we only lost by one goal in a Game 7 of the ECF. Which is insane given all the adversity.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In the end we only lost by one goal in a Game 7 of the ECF. Which is insane given all the adversity.

Yeah, I agree, but we also lost a low scoring game that highlighted all the flaws we've been pointing out all year. Mainly, a lack of depth scoring. Or actually, what seems to be the lack of even the intention to have depth scoring.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Bish had a freak injury. You can't help but wonder what would have been if he played. He was at the top of his game. Vasi played great too though. It wasn't goaltending that did us in. Lack of scoring depth was the biggest issue when I watched the games.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Yeah, I agree, but we also lost a low scoring game that highlighted all the flaws we've been pointing out all year. Mainly, a lack of depth scoring. Or actually, what seems to be the lack of even the intention to have depth scoring.

This last game was certainly a highlight of all of our concerns in the regular season.

1) Though we only got like 1 PP, it wasn't remotely dangerous.

2) Team seemed too willing to rope-a-dope their way through a game and hope their skill could turn it on in the last 5 minutes and win.

3) Overall timidity across the team to carry the puck and drive the net. We're too keen on cycling the puck endlessly in the name of puck possession without actually trying to focus the cycle toward the net. If you're going to have a cycle game then you need to get it down low and funnel the puck toward the front, or cycle it to the point with cutters going across the net for tips and rebounds. We had none of that. Everything was around the perimeter with no emphasis on actually scoring.

Injured for or in the playoffs three years in a row is concerning.

It certainly is a concern. Next year, which is his last year on his current contract, will be a test for him. He needs to stay healthy.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
This last game was certainly a highlight of all of our concerns in the regular season.

2) Team seemed too willing to rope-a-dope their way through a game and hope their skill could turn it on in the last 5 minutes and win.

3) Overall timidity across the team to carry the puck and drive the net. We're too keen on cycling the puck endlessly in the name of puck possession without actually trying to focus the cycle toward the net. If you're going to have a cycle game then you need to get it down low and funnel the puck toward the front, or cycle it to the point with cutters going across the net for tips and rebounds. We had none of that. Everything was around the perimeter with no emphasis on actually scoring.

It certainly is a concern. Next year, which is his last year on his current contract, will be a test for him. He needs to stay healthy.

This is so spot on with what I took away from it, right down to the phrase "rope-a-dope." It actually feels like a 3rd period push is part of the game plan.

But the endless cycling, with no clear plan to get the puck to the net, is probably the most troubling thing from the entire offense. We'd rather put the puck in the corner than into scoring areas, if there's the least chance of a turnover. And it gets worse and worse, the lower the line.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
With Bishop in there's no doubt we win this series. The team plays WAY better in front of him.

I've never really understood this. First, people say he's the MVP of the team (and he's definitely been that this year). They always reference the number of times Bishop's single-handily bailed this team out and how many games he's stolen on his own.

If the team is playing so great in front of him, why is he always having to do this? :)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I've never really understood this. First, people say he's the MVP of the team (and he's definitely been that this year). They always reference the number of times Bishop's single-handily bailed this team out and how many games he's stolen on his own.

If the team is playing so great in front of him, why is he always having to do this? :)

The team doesn't play that well in front of him a lot. But when he's in there, and the team's not playing well, we give up 30ish shots and he steals it. When he's not there, we give up 40 and look like a disaster.

Bishop does more than just stop pucks.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You know those games Bishop stole for us? We needed one of those in this series. Vasy played well but not great.

ArmaHedman

Nov 30, 2006
Sarasota, FL
Disappointed this morning but not mad. We got outplayed through most of this series. We stole a game or 2 there and even with all of that still made it to game 7 and lost by 1 (possibly 2) soft goals.

This team exceeded my expectations. I really expected to lose to Washington or Florida in the second round before the playoffs started. Was nervous when we ended up with the Islanders because of our poor outings in NY.

While I think we were outplayed, I wonder if we were also out coached? I think the plan going into Game 6 & 7 was to play a very conservative, mistake free type of game. And when we got behind the coach let out the reigns in the 3rd periods of both games. That is more my opinion that anything. So if anyone has any concrete info post it here.

Jaques Martin coached teams seem to always play the way they played in games 6 & 7 against. I remember when he was in Ottawa and Florida it always looked like they had 10 players on the ice, outnumbering us everywhere. We saw this in game 6 especially and seemed not to have any adjustments for it into Game 7. Forwards were way too far forward looking for the stretch pass and left the D with no options back there. I put a lot of this on Cooper.

Stammer; So many thoughts about why he played! Because he knows he is leaving? Or because he wanted to play once more? Because he thought he gave them more of a chance to go for the cup? He saw the chance to go for the cup? We will find out in a month.

I predict the off season will be feast or famine for this team. Either we do some small things or we lose Stammer and Drouin and the make up of the team changes quite a bit. Time will tell.

Lemieux66

May 19, 2016
Well that was a tough battle, I'm glad my Pens rose to the occasion but believe me there were plenty of heart palpitations to go along with it all. Ive watched 30 some years of hockey and that was one intense series.

As for hurt players, I understand but it's what it is. Just like Steelers getting beat by Denver without Brown and Bell, two of the best in the league... It sucked but that's just how it goes, hopefully tampa makes another run next year and hopefully we DONT meet again lol because I don't think my ticker can take another series like that so quick hah.

Once again, good battle!

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If you haven't already, go watch stamkos' interview when they got back in Tampa this morning and him signing autographs. That and the "the captain is back" photo along with his broken nose, broken leg, being announced captain, 50 goal season, long hair stammer, undressing Carkner (LOL), his hit on Hayes last year, etc will all be memories I'll miss from him. What a genuine guy. That's gonna sting if he doesn't come back. I will shed a tear, guaranteed.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013

The rope-a-dope **** is probably the most disappointing aspect of this whole season. Lacklustre effort in the regular season, finally show they give a **** in rounds 1 and 2, and then proceed to go back to this ugly hockey again in the third round. :shakehead

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
If you haven't already, go watch stamkos' interview when they got back in Tampa this morning and him signing autographs. That and the "the captain is back" photo along with his broken nose, broken leg, being announced captain, 50 goal season, long hair stammer, undressing Carkner (LOL), his hit on Hayes last year, etc will all be memories I'll miss from him. What a genuine guy. That's gonna sting if he doesn't come back. I will shed a tear, guaranteed.

Where? I don't see it.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Beard shaved off this morning. Haircut later today. On to next season.

Head of hair is pretty much gone and all that's left hair-wise is the mustache that I have never shaved off since it started growing in when I was in high school several years ago. I'm a short-hair person to the fullest but I really wanted to have to wait a couple more weeks still before the time came to get rid of it all.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
Vasilevskiy keeps his team in games sometimes. Bishop steals his team games sometimes. Big big difference. It's not Vasi's fault we lost, he is what is he is. A really good back up.

Vasi didn't lose the series for us. Bishop would have won the series for us.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
The rope-a-dope **** is probably the most disappointing aspect of this whole season. Lacklustre effort in the regular season, finally show they give a **** in rounds 1 and 2, and then proceed to go back to this ugly hockey again in the third round. :shakehead

It's like the coaching staff knew we were better than Detroit and NYI, so they gave the green light and we went for it. Played our forechecking, aggressive, speed game. Then when the Pens came around the coaching staff wasn't so sure. One thing that can be said about Cooper is that when he is backed into a corner, it's all about defense. Defend, defend, defend.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Third season in a row. Bishop gets injured. Lightning immediately crater.

So you're telling me each time Bish wasn't playing or played injured we lost that series ?

Team MVP AINEC. We must find a way to play him less in the RS though.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011

We thought we could stretch pass and play 20 min of hockey every game into the Stanley Cup. Eventually, the team that skates and puts shots on net for a full 60 is the one that prevails.

I'd be bummed if I thought we deserved this series or wouldn't get buried by SJ, but that's not the case.

Some afterthoughts going to the offseason:

Cooper - Yzerman needs to look long and hard at the mentality he's bringing to this team. This could easily be a back-to-back Stanley Cup winning team if he managed his rosters/players better, didn't promote such a finesse, perfectionist style of play, and got his guys motivated/prepared for postseason games. I honestly think when you can admit you have the talent to win a Cup and it might be the coach holding you back, it's time to start considering other options. In a vacuum that might sound ludicrous given SCF and ECF appearances in consecutive seasons, but I remain extremely underwhelmed with Cooper's coaching.

Stralman - I give him a pass based on the injury. His minutes should have been limited as soon as his immense struggles became a trend. This one's on coaching (see above).

Hedman - Dude is both Jekyl and Hyde. He'll win you games and make rookie mistakes the next. I suppose I'm his biggest critic cause I've been saying he's defensively overrated for years. I think he's always going to leave a meh taste in my mouth.

Drouin - His potential far outweighs the few mental lapses he makes here and there. Hopefully, he has wants to stay in Tampa. But I wouldn't blame him, given how Cooper has treated him, if he wants to bail. He is a must re-sign. The kid is a star.

Filppula - I don't think you can re-sign a guy just to win faceoffs. Unless you can Manchurian Candidate him to start shooting, I think you gotta try and trade him. He's not even close to being worth 5 mil a year.

Palat - What happened to him!? Maybe the biggest decline of anyone on the team? I'm baffled as to what to do with him.

TJ - Someone teach this kid to play defense. Please.

Stammer - It's been a fun ride, but for the love of god don't pay him 10+ mil. Let him rot in Toronto if he wants to get paid.

Paquette - Dump

Koekkoek - Needs to be a permanent fixture on the D.

Sustr - Can't believe the turnaround this guy has had. Major props for stepping up, especially on the biggest stage.

Carle - DUMP. No explanation needed.

Callahan & Boyle - Love you guys. Get 4 more just like them.

Everyone else seems pretty self explanatory or I'm on the fence about.

Anyway, it was a fun season nevertheless. Sad we fizzled in the end, but there's always next year. Go Bucs/Gators/Rays in the meantime!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad