Prospect Info: 4th Overall, Bowen Byram, Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
If he's not still with the Avs on opening night I'll be pretty surprised. This front office wants him here and I think they'll take that into the season. No idea what happens from there.
Not surprised hes going to Vancouver. Its not even a knock on Bo its just now we have some depth at D. Guys like Rosen and Timmins have been better. Im looking forward to seeing him at the World Juniors.

Reactions: Avs_19

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yup, the general consensus here was that he could use a step up from the WHL but the NHL may be too big a step for him. He's close to NHL speed and readiness, just needs another year and he should be ready to go.

He is actually pretty close. I think those first couple games where he made some defensive mistakes got in his head. After that, he played overly safe, and looked a little afraid to be aggressive offensively. That's a sign he's not quite ready though.

Byram can still benefit from junior though IMO, he hasn't outgrown it that much. He can still benefit from working on his defensive play, without sacrificing offense. He's going to play a two way role in the NHL, and it's much easier to work on this in junior, than it is in the NHL at his age.

Playing in the pressure packed WJC and another year in the WHL playoffs/MemCup will be a good learning experience for him as well. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing if he can dominate in the WJC. Realistically though, he'll still be pretty young for that too at 18 still.

Depending on when his season ends, we might even see him get the Makar treatment and sign for the playoffs. Though I think that may be doubtful because I don't think the Avs want to burn a year of his ELC. He's unlikely to contribute as much at 18 as Makar did at 20.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Awesome move. World juniors are going to be exiting to watch with him and Newhook.

Reactions: MarkT

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Expecting the same offensive impact is expecting a lot. 70 points in a full season is probably realistic, but 24 goals is going to be tough to duplicate. It isn't all that uncommon for a draft eligible player to have a huge offensive year in juniors and take a slight step back the year following. I give you Jake Bean:

D-1 5g 34a 39p in 51 games
Draft Year 24g 40a 64p in 68 games
D+1 8g 37a 45p in 43 games
D+2 12g 36a 48p in 57 games

If you're expecting 25g and 60a from Byram, you're very likely to be disappointed.

I prefer to look at a guy like Ivan Provorov than Jake freakin Bean.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Really?

HFAvs Prospect Polls #9
GDT: - 2018 NHL Entry Draft l June 22nd & 23rd l "Don't screw this up, Avs!" Edition

Ranta has supreme physical skills and when you're near the top of an age group, that can really allow a player to shine. He's just kind of a dummy and that will limit him if he doesn't grow out of it.
Okay, yeah, that top quote in particular makes my take look bad.

For some reason I had in my mind that you were a little more pessimistic about him. I just keep seeing his stock go up and up. Exciting stuff.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He is actually pretty close. I think those first couple games where he made some defensive mistakes got in his head. After that, he played overly safe, and looked a little afraid to be aggressive offensively. That's a sign he's not quite ready though.

Byram can still benefit from junior though IMO, he hasn't outgrown it that much. He can still benefit from working on his defensive play, without sacrificing offense. He's going to play a two way role in the NHL, and it's much easier to work on this in junior, than it is in the NHL at his age.

Playing in the pressure packed WJC and another year in the WHL playoffs/MemCup will be a good learning experience for him as well. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing if he can dominate in the WJC. Realistically though, he'll still be pretty young for that too at 18 still.

Depending on when his season ends, we might even see him get the Makar treatment and sign for the playoffs. Though I think that may be doubtful because I don't think the Avs want to burn a year of his ELC. He's unlikely to contribute as much at 18 as Makar did at 20.

With all the drama on the Rants contract, burning an ELC a year early might not be a bad option. I was previously against such a deal, but reconsidering for special players, burning an ELC could be an excellent option to lockup players long term a year sooner.

Consider Rants went from 34, 84, & 87 (7 fewer games). If he signed last season, he contract would likely be $7.5M-$8.5M range. He's looking at a raise of $1M-$2M more per season. The additional season is a huge risk should the player breakout.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Not surprised hes going to Vancouver. Its not even a knock on Bo its just now we have some depth at D. Guys like Rosen and Timmins have been better. Im looking forward to seeing him at the World Juniors.

I agree it was the right move but even after a full day of processing I'm still hella surprised the front office was able to resist the temptation. Maybe Makar forced them to learn something?

Reactions: The Kingslayer

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
On the bright side, we can officially put to rest this idea that the Avs "rush" their prospects.

Byram was the perfect test subject for this. If they were gonna rush anybody, it would have been him.

Hopefully that's what happened and they weren't just distracted by Timmins' shininess...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Okay, yeah, that top quote in particular makes my take look bad.

For some reason I had in my mind that you were a little more pessimistic about him. I just keep seeing his stock go up and up. Exciting stuff.

Maybe you're mixing Henchy up with me on this? Cause I'm not convinced that Ranta can be trusted to tie his own skates without supervision.

Reactions: missionAvs

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
With all the drama on the Rants contract, burning an ELC a year early might not be a bad option. I was previously against such a deal, but reconsidering for special players, burning an ELC could be an excellent option to lockup players long term a year sooner.

Consider Rants went from 34, 84, & 87 (7 fewer games). If he signed last season, he contract would likely be $7.5M-$8.5M range. He's looking at a raise of $1M-$2M more per season. The additional season is a huge risk should the player breakout.
Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad