Prospect Info: 4th Overall, Bowen Byram, Defence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Byram finished with 2 assists and 8 PIMs yesterday. For his first three WHL games through the weekend: 3 GP, 5 A, 0 G, -2, 10 PIMs.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If Byram was picked by the Sens, perhaps he would still be in the NHL. A rare situation of a top-5 pick going to a playoff team.

Reactions: 21

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've been griping about what another WHL season for Byram offensively, as he's good enough to pull things off at that level that he won't be doing in the NHL, so I have doubts that this season will do too much good for his NHL-offense...and may even develop some bad habits that he'll need to later break...but hopefully he can polish his defensive game further, down there.

But yeah, I'm right there with everyone wishing that Loveland or the NCAA had been an option for him, or that he had gone to europe / we had stretched out his 9-games-played until close to the WJC...letting him practice against NHLers everyday and watch the action up close, so that when he was eventually sent back down he had a much clearer understanding of what he needs to improve upon to be better prepared for the NHL next summer.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've been griping about what another WHL season for Byram offensively, as he's good enough to pull things off at that level that he won't be doing in the NHL, so I have doubts that this season will do too much good for his NHL-offense...and may even develop some bad habits that he'll need to later break...but hopefully he can polish his defensive game further, down there.

But yeah, I'm right there with everyone wishing that Loveland or the NCAA had been an option for him, or that he had gone to europe / we had stretched out his 9-games-played until close to the WJC...letting him practice against NHLers everyday and watch the action up close, so that when he was eventually sent back down he had a much clearer understanding of what he needs to improve upon to be better prepared for the NHL next summer.

The only benefit I see is physical development. Being a year stronger should help all around.

Reactions: klozge

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
They should just introduce an exemption that allows one junior aged player a season per organization to play in the AHL. Most teams wouldn't even need to use the exemption most seasons and the CHL would still have plenty of talent on their rosters.

Reactions: AvsWraith

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They should just introduce an exemption that allows one junior aged player a season per organization to play in the AHL. Most teams wouldn't even need to use the exemption most seasons and the CHL would still have plenty of talent on their rosters.

The CHL gets to grant 15 year olds exceptional status if they think they've outgrown minor midget. They should allow the same for those that have outgrown the CHL.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Just curious. Is this CHL issue something that comes up frequently? I can't remember many other examples of players like Byram that are so far ahead of the CHL but aren't quite NHL ready.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Just curious. Is this CHL issue something that comes up frequently? I can't remember many other examples of players like Byram that are so far ahead of the CHL but aren't quite NHL ready.
It really isn't an issue 99% of the time. The CHL is a perfectly fine development league for high end prospects, even if I'm sure Vegas would have liked to send Glass to the AHL for example if they could have. Most of the time there's room to grow there, Byram's just one of those unlucky few who are stuck in between.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
One puts butts in (CHL-)seats, the other loses them...

Yeah but CHL teams did benefit from putting extra butts in the seats with McDavid, Tavares, Ekblad, etc. Not just the teams that had them, but all the teams they played on the road as well.

Plenty of AHL teams would like to put a few more butts in the seats too.

I'm fine with Byram spending the year in junior but the CHL is pretty hypocritical on this issue. They just want all the rules to benefit them.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah but CHL teams did benefit from putting extra butts in the seats with McDavid, Tavares, Ekblad, etc. Not just the teams that had them, but all the teams they played on the road as well.

I'm fine with Byram spending the year in junior but the CHL is pretty hypocritical on this issue. They just want all the rules to benefit them.

Or you know the league that is producing talent and enables these kids to grow wants to also benefit from them. There is nothing hypocritical about trying to run a profitable business while providing an invaluable service to the NHL. If you go and take a look at the major junior teams, plenty struggle financially, so every little bit helps. Keeping draft +1 players in the league helps to keep the league afloat.

As for the whole "Byram is too good" narrative some are pushing here, just come off it already. He is not too good for the WHL. The first three games are proof enough. Yes he scored plenty of points and he pushes the play, but he let other teams get under his skin, took dumb penalties and in general looked shaky at times. He will be well served with another year there.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

My joke was more about the CHL not caring about anything but their own audience.

Bingo

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Or you know the league that is producing talent and enables these kids to grow wants to also benefit from them. There is nothing hypocritical about trying to run a profitable business while providing an invaluable service to the NHL. If you go and take a look at the major junior teams, plenty struggle financially, so every little bit helps. Keeping draft +1 players in the league helps to keep the league afloat.

As for the whole "Byram is too good" narrative some are pushing here, just come off it already. He is not too good for the WHL. The first three games are proof enough. Yes he scored plenty of points and he pushes the play, but he let other teams get under his skin, took dumb penalties and in general looked shaky at times. He will be well served with another year there.

How is it not hypocritical for the CHL to ask midget teams to make an exception to the age limit and take their best player, but refuse to make an exception for a player that's outgrown the CHL? I don't know why we're operating under the impression that they wouldn't still benefit a ton from these players if they had an exceptional player rule for the AHL.

They're not the only teams in the world struggling to turn a profit. They don't need all the tears directed towards them. Plenty of AHL teams have the same problem. Everything you say about running a business, providing an invaluable service to the NHL, and producing talent applies to them as well.

FTR, I don't think Byram is too good for the WHL. I think he would benefit more from playing in Switzerland or Sweden against men, but he can still learn how to balance good defense without sacrificing his offense in an easier league.

Last edited:
Reactions: 21

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
If Byram was picked by the Sens, perhaps he would still be in the NHL. A rare situation of a top-5 pick going to a playoff team.

They might have given him 9 games to see where he's at, but they don't care about winning this year and have enough NHL talent to not need him. Fact of the matter is he's not a super elite prospect, just was the best D by far in the draft. He really had to fall into the perfect spot to get a full year of NHL this season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Ehh...going to a foreign country with language barriers as an 18 year old might hinder development as well.

While this can certainly sometimes be true, that's not usually the case for teenage footballers...so Hockey players should be able to tough it out too. Especially considering how much more affluent the average NHLer's upbringing is than the average top-class footballer's.

Reactions: S E P H

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Sounds like he still has some things to learn.

Sounds like someone didn't play their best game. It's a tweet about one game. It's a hot take a best. Maybe Byram had an off night, maybe he wasn't feeling well, maybe he is frustrated about having to play in a league that he has outgrown and is craving higher competition, who knows. If you watched Makar on opening night you'd wonder what the hype is about, since he looked a bit nervous and made a few mistakes.

But let's please not start posting every random person's hot take take after every game Byram plays. Hell just last week, someone tweeted something to the extent that Byram was too good for that league.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Ehh...going to a foreign country with language barriers as an 18 year old might hinder development as well.
Or it would be a great place to learn and grow as a human being. Many people in Europe speak english fluently and with the medley of nationalities on a sports team I wouldnt be surprised if most coaches and teammates default to it as well. Doubt it is an issue.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
True Suisse might not be a haven for 19 year old boys, but I can't think of any other place I would want to spend a season of hockey developing against men. The country is small (less travel than in the Dub), beautiful (beats those prairie blizzard bus drives), and love their sports (ultras). Plus you get to experience an entirely new culture which he's also used to since he was born in a mountain town.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metallo

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Byram hasn't outgrown the CHL, but I don't think the Giants have a coaching staff that will be conducive to his development. Makar could've skated circles in the NCAA the moment he joined, but instead the coaching staff made him play a simple, defensively-sound game until he was polished enough to let him off his leash. Byram needs similar treatment, but that definitely won't happen with the Giants, as the way Byram currently plays is better for the teams and the fans.

Reactions: Kaizer

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Byram hasn't outgrown the CHL, but I don't think the Giants have a coaching staff that will be conducive to his development. Makar could've skated circles in the NCAA the moment he joined, but instead the coaching staff made him play a simple, defensively-sound game until he was polished enough to let him off his leash. Byram needs similar treatment, but that definitely won't happen with the Giants, as the way Byram currently plays is better for the teams and the fans.
I think this is a pretty good take. But I could use what you are saying to make the argument that that's the exact reason why he has outgrown the WHL. He needs to learn a man's game, running around being the best offensive threat for his junior team isn't teaching him anything in becoming a more rounded player.

Except that's what you get in basically all junior leagues when you are there most talented player in arguably the whole league. You get free reign to do what you want.

I'm not super thrilled with how this development path is starting. He is playing in league where he is going to learn nothing this year except for maybe some bad habits. Except what choice did the Avs have, can't go AHL, Europe maybe but that's a lot to ask of an 18 year old to pack up and leave. It's stupid that we have this BS rule about the AHL. That's where he needs to be developing defensive habits in our system. Not free lancing in a league where he is arguably a top 3 talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->