Line Combos: 4th line

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
When I watch Neil absolutely does his job very well. He is skating like he did 5 years ago. He had a shift with Stone and Brassard in the 3rd last game and it was likely the teams best shift of the 3rd period.

Honestly now I resign Neil for another year for about $1 million and replace Kelly and AHL call ups.

People here trash the 4th line a lot. To me... Neil has played excellent mostly the last two years. He would be better with better players. I hate to say this. Really hate to say it. But Lazar is not as good as Neil. He has worse hands, worse offensive instincts. And I like Lazar a lot. I am not a negative fan. And I want Lazar to have something.

Next year... or hopefully this year... I would remake the 4th line. Want Pageau pushed by White to 4th line. Or White is the 4th line centre as soon as late this year.

To me... the 4th line is not great... occaisionally good shifts though. To me Neil is still Neil. Neil should still be the 4th line RW and improve the centre and LWer. Neil still has hands, speed, hockey sense and physicality.

So many games I see Neil making multiple really great plays and see him trashed. He is still the solution and not the problem.

I wish Lazar was as smart or physical or even had Neil's hands.... seriously.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
When Mac comes back, Lazar or Neil will be gone/scratched
MacArthur - Kelly - Neil/Lazar

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I think we will also acquire a forward of some sort and I hope it's soon. White coming too but he'll be a while yet. We need help asap.

MacArthur's return will be a breathe of fresh air in that 4th line.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
When I watch Neil absolutely does his job very well. He is skating like he did 5 years ago. He had a shift with Stone and Brassard in the 3rd last game and it was likely the teams best shift of the 3rd period.

Honestly now I resign Neil for another year for about $1 million and replace Kelly and AHL call ups.

People here trash the 4th line a lot. To me... Neil has played excellent mostly the last two years. He would be better with better players. I hate to say this. Really hate to say it. But Lazar is not as good as Neil. He has worse hands, worse offensive instincts. And I like Lazar a lot. I am not a negative fan. And I want Lazar to have something.

Next year... or hopefully this year... I would remake the 4th line. Want Pageau pushed by White to 4th line. Or White is the 4th line centre as soon as late this year.

To me... the 4th line is not great... occaisionally good shifts though. To me Neil is still Neil. Neil should still be the 4th line RW and improve the centre and LWer. Neil still has hands, speed, hockey sense and physicality.

So many games I see Neil making multiple really great plays and see him trashed. He is still the solution and not the problem.

I hear what you are saying. I think we / many are quick to give Lazar a pass. I think any of the 3 would be better with improved line mates. Collectively they are not good enough.

Neiler can still contribute, and so can Kelly. Lazar has more speed to get in on the forecheck and is positionally ok, but if it involves the puck he is the least effective of the 3 IMO. In the offensive zone I think Neil is likely the better of the 3. In our end , likely Kelly and Kelly PKs better than the other 2.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think we will also acquire a forward of some sort and I hope it's soon. White coming too but he'll be a while yet. We need help asap.

MacArthur's return will be a breathe of fresh air in that 4th line.

Mac's return would inject more of what we are missing for sure. I am hoping for some good news on that front, but as time moves on, I am less positive about him actually coming back. I think they need to make decisions based on him not coming back and if he does its just a bonus.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Also, McCormick would be better option on that 4th line over Lazar.

I actually really liked Lazar's game tonight until the 3rd period.

McCormick is real good energy player for 4th line. Dont know why he isnt up.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I hear what you are saying. I think we / many are quick to give Lazar a pass. I think any of the 3 would be better with improved line mates. Collectively they are not good enough.

Neiler can still contribute, and so can Kelly. Lazar has more speed to get in on the forecheck and is positionally ok, but if it involves the puck he is the least effective of the 3 IMO. In the offensive zone I think Neil is likely the better of the 3. In our end , likely Kelly and Kelly PKs better than the other 2.

Agreed. I think Neil is vastly underrated in the offensive zone. Still a real good 4th liner there. Guy has hands, presence and underrated IQ amd passing offensively. Neil was never a great defensive player, but decent once he or his team got the puck. Not a good stick checker on the PK. Never much of a PKer

I guess the point of my thread is Neil is still Neil. He is still capable of doing Neil things on a strong 4th line and shoot and create chances and have great offensive IQ with or without the puck.

The weakness of our 4th line is the other two... not Neil. Somehow... Neil is still Neil and if only Kelly was still Kelly our 4th line could thrive.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
In what bizarro world is Neil a valuable piece in our lineup? He does nothing on the ice. Nothing whatsoever. Good hockey sense? Speed? Whaaaaa?

I haven't seen such an over-evaluation in a while on here.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
The Mark Stone effect. You give Neil one shift with him and suddenly he is a valuable part of the lineup again.

Chris Neil played 4:48 last night. 6 shifts. This was a night that a bunch of players were sick, yet the coach still barely used Neil. Lazar had 11 shifts and Kelly 14.

Chris Neil is not a good NHL forward anymore. I do not agree with this thread.

Don't sign him again... he is almost 38. He is slow. The enforcer role is dead. His advanced stats are terrible. Hell, his standard stats are garbage. Let him go.

Last edited:

Rooverick*

Jan 5, 2008

Vehemently DISAGREE.

Thanks for everything you've done for the team Chris, on and off the ice. Always been a big fan.

Hope he's played his last game. Time to move on.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Love to see a 4th line of young, high energy types. If Lazar is here he gets a chance with White and Dzingel types.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Smith - Brassard - Stone
Hoff - Turris - Ryan <- Hoff finishes what Ryan dishes
Dzingel - Pageau - Vrbata <- or some other rental
McCormick - Lazar - Pyatt <- now that's a 4th line I can live with

Neil and Kelly glued to the Ring of Honor.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
What in the name of Christ are you on about OP? Neil a valuable part of the team? Our fourth line would literally be better if we didn't have a fourth line. This team would succeed more if they just had 3 forward lines.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
What is the point of dressing Neil if he is playing 5 minutes a game? Give him an office job next season and get some kids trying to prove themselves or a legitimate bottom 6 player on the team.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

:handclap: Couldn't agree more with most of this including the possibility that they re-sign Neil for one more yr. However, on White I think it's much more likely that he starts the yr in Bellville rather than getting limited minutes from this coach who doesn't seem to like to play young players/prospects very much. I do think that Paul will most likely replace Kelly on the roster for next season since he can play LW or centre. I would really like to see Paul develop into our 4th line centre for the future, he potentially could develop into a good faceoff guy, good defensively & on the PK & put up some pts on our 4th line. I don't see much else changing on this roster with potentially some minor moves.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
What in the name of Christ are you on about OP? Neil a valuable part of the team? Our fourth line would literally be better if we didn't have a fourth line. This team would succeed more if they just had 3 forward lines.

Not really because then those nine guys would be pretty tired.

We need a better fourth line. I think we ride it out for the rest of the year though.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Varone hadid a 4 point night in the AHL tonight.

Same number of professional points in 1 game as Lazar in his entire season.

Somehow Varone not liked by Mr. Boucher.

Yup.
2 goals shorthanded and an assist(takeaway) on the EN goal.
Can easily replace Kelly in the lineup and can contribute not just on the PK.
AFAIR he made the team out of camp after good preseason but was sent back shortly after. So it's not like Boucher has some beef with him.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Varone hadid a 4 point night in the AHL tonight.

Same number of professional points in 1 game as Lazar in his entire season.

Somehow Varone not liked by Mr. Boucher.

IMO Varone is just another small AHL player who cannot translate his success at the AHL level into success at the NHL level just like SDC who so many on here liked & the honey badger Connacher. Ottawa has 7 top six forwards now & don't need another IMO but could use a scoring RWer for the 3rd line. Bailey makes more sense than Varone there. It's interesting & says a lot that Dorion is looking outside the organization rather than internally for a goal scoring forward to add.

I would much prefer Paul to come up who has NHL size, is very good defensively & can chip in offensively from time to time. While he hasn't been as good as expected at the AHL level he showed he has enough good skill to play at the NHL level & with some players it just works better that way. I see Paul as a future 4th line centre for this team since he can be very good at faceoffs as he was in junior & he is very good defensively. With better players around him I think he can be much better too especially in the NHL & I think he is ready to do what he did last yr here near the end of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad