4K Televisions: Are they worth it?

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I'm still mulling between the 65" Sony 900E and 930E myself. Will probably pull the trigger on Black Friday.
I went through this same debate when I was looking for a TV and ended up with the 900E. In the end I didn't feel the difference between the panels was great enough to justify the difference in price. I don't regret the choice I made at all, the 900E has performed really well.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I went through this same debate when I was looking for a TV and ended up with the 900E. In the end I didn't feel the difference between the panels was great enough to justify the difference in price. I don't regret the choice I made at all, the 900E has performed really well.

That's the direction I'm leaning as well. Still want to read some more reviews/comparisons before finalizing though.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Have to wait at least a year on a OLED for me, probably two. When I did the comparison last year LCD vs OLED it was not night and day for the OLED. Things like input lag were a concern, brightness.... vertical banding and obviously price where the LCD was better. I think they are much better this year for OLED's. I want all those issues to be at least as good as LCD, obviously overall picture quality was still the best and will be for OLED.

It's tough to make the decision now cause you have to spend quite a bit to get a OLED 55 inch and above. Maybe go cheaper on the LCD knowing you will replace it in a few years. I would not go top end LCD right now unless you're okay with it. I've had bad experiences with Vizio as did my parents. Some love the brand though and it's supposed to be great for gaming, very low input lag.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
One thing ive definitely noticed about OLED that doesn't get brought up a lot is that OLED is more susceptible to glare than LED. The displays are very glossy so you probably have to be careful about the lighting in the room.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Looking to spend around $1,500 CDN for a 4k, would the Sony 900E be a good option or were there any others that people would recommend around that price range?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ended up with the 55" Vizio P-Series.

Fantastic TV. Costco had a nice sale on them the other day, so I nabbed one. Had to pick up a tuner since they don't come with one built-in, but the Channel Master tuner I got seems to be really nice (and is fully compatible with my Harmony remote).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Black Friday sales have started. Historically the lowest prices you'll find on the good TV's short of an end of model closeout.

Still eying a 65" Sony 900e. Down to $1500 USD, plus the local Fry's Electronics cover the sales tax.

Wish they'd discounted the 930e further, but looks like it's still $2500 everywhere. The 930e is nicer, but not $1k nicer.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I was looking to upgrade my television this year, but the prices are just too much for me to stomach at the moment. Anyone else think the OLED or QLED prices will drop dramatically between this year and next?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I don't see OLED going much lower and QLED is a scam at this point. The current B7 prices are actually really good.

If that's too high, grab a high end Sony LED, I've really enjoyed everything about my 900E and it'll hold me over for OLED another couple years or longer. The only downside is Android TV is awful. I never thought a TV could be hindered by an OS, but mine sometimes reboots mid-watching. I even hit reboot loops until I power cycle it.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I don't see OLED going much lower and QLED is a scam at this point. The current B7 prices are actually really good.

If that's too high, grab a high end Sony LED, I've really enjoyed everything about my 900E and it'll hold me over for OLED another couple years or longer. The only downside is Android TV is awful. I never thought a TV could be hindered by an OS, but mine sometimes reboots mid-watching. I even hit reboot loops until I power cycle it.

Really I have the X850C, same OS and I don't have this issue at all. If it's under warranty or just before the warranty is out I would call it in. The only problem I have had is the Amazon ap has a stuttering problem which is a known problem on all the issue since the Spring OS update.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
First question - is it better to buy these TVs on Black Friday or Boxing Day? Which day has better discounts in Canada?

I'm looking for a budget 5o-55" TV, ideally 4K TV but 1080p is good as well. My budget is anywhere from $500-1,000, based on how good the deal/quality is. I generally would use it for gaming, watching hockey, and movies/tv. Don't care too much for the smart TV functions as I have an XBox that can do most of it. Most important feature is probably just the picture quality for me. Audio isn't an issue since I plan on buying a sound bar or something.

I've heard the TCL P605 is a great budget 4K TV and has a great picture quality for the money. It seems to be fairly difficult to find in Canada, though. This is the model I was eying:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...dynamic-range-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

Best Buy also has a few on sale for Black Friday.
Samsung 55" 4K Ultra HD HDR LED Tizen Smart is on sale for $699.99 and the 50" is on sale for $599.99, both seems like pretty good deals.

There's also the Sony 60" 4K UHD HDR LED Smart TV for $799.99, and the Samsung 55" 4K UHD HDR Curved LCD Tizen Smart TV for $749.99...but I don't get the appeal of curved TVs, and the Toshiba 50" 4K UHD HDR LED Chromecast Built-in Smart TV for $469.99.

Walmart has a Sharp 55" Aquos 4K Ultra HD Smart TV for $538, but I've heard they have a lot of issues.

I also heard the Roku TVs are pretty good value as well?

Any recommendations on what the best option is for me?

Last edited:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If you're getting a LED @50 Sheas of Grey then I'd recommend grabbing the best priced Sony in the 800-900 series on Black Friday. Generally the sales are equal or best on that day/week. Assuming you want superior viewing, which to me seems to be the number one thing.

To me there's really two choices for anyone looking. LG OLED (B7 is fantastic) or Sony LED (850-900 preferred). If your budget doesn't allow those choices (during Black Friday it should) then Samsung could be considered. But just make sure you get whatever 240 motion thing they have is, which is really 120hz.

I didn't think I'd like a LED as much as I am currently. Coming from a Plasma, the current LED tech is close enough to deep blacks that I'm not worried. I notice an improvement with OLED, don't get me wrong. But if you haven't had OLED before, Sony's current LED generation will be better than anything else you have.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Ended up with the 55" Vizio P-Series.

Fantastic TV. Costco had a nice sale on them the other day, so I nabbed one. Had to pick up a tuner since they don't come with one built-in, but the Channel Master tuner I got seems to be really nice (and is fully compatible with my Harmony remote).

Vizio might have the best deals out there. Beautiful TV's and at a fraction of the cost of the high-end makers.

Reactions: TRG

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
LED, OLED, QLED, XLED, Vertical megahertz sync, polygonal aspect bitrate, tri-hexa ratio... blah blah blah blah blah.

4K with HDR is stunning and absolutely worth it in my opinion. On a smaller screen it makes little sense to me but on anything over 50" it's noticeable how amazing everything looks.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The deals on LG's C7 and B7 are ridiculous. In terms of quality and bang for your buck, it's not even close between these two models and anything else currently out there. God tier TV's am confirmed.

Picked myself up a 65" C7 and a Samsung MS650 soundbar. Couldn't be more thrilled... just waiting for them to arrive.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I just don’t think I can. I have it in my cart at Best Buy, but I need to buy an engagement ring early next year and pay off some debt. This was a quick thought and I can’t justify it.

Plus with saving for a house, it doesn’t make sense right now. Oh well. Vizio is amazing and should easily last me five years.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
First question - is it better to buy these TVs on Black Friday or Boxing Day? Which day has better discounts in Canada?

I'm looking for a budget 5o-55" TV, ideally 4K TV but 1080p is good as well. My budget is anywhere from $500-1,000, based on how good the deal/quality is. I generally would use it for gaming, watching hockey, and movies/tv. Don't care too much for the smart TV functions as I have an XBox that can do most of it. Most important feature is probably just the picture quality for me. Audio isn't an issue since I plan on buying a sound bar or something.

I've heard the TCL P605 is a great budget 4K TV and has a great picture quality for the money. It seems to be fairly difficult to find in Canada, though. This is the model I was eying:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55...dynamic-range-roku-tv/5878705.p?skuId=5878705

Best Buy also has a few on sale for Black Friday.
Samsung 55" 4K Ultra HD HDR LED Tizen Smart is on sale for $699.99 and the 50" is on sale for $599.99, both seems like pretty good deals.

There's also the Sony 60" 4K UHD HDR LED Smart TV for $799.99, and the Samsung 55" 4K UHD HDR Curved LCD Tizen Smart TV for $749.99...but I don't get the appeal of curved TVs, and the Toshiba 50" 4K UHD HDR LED Chromecast Built-in Smart TV for $469.99.

Walmart has a Sharp 55" Aquos 4K Ultra HD Smart TV for $538, but I've heard they have a lot of issues.

I also heard the Roku TVs are pretty good value as well?

Any recommendations on what the best option is for me?

Curved is a gimmick as well as QLED IMO. I have not checked any of the things you listed. I don't like sharp and be very careful with black Friday deals. If it's too cheap there may be a good reason.... for instance Samsung last year I believe bought Sharp panels and re-branded them for Black Friday. Check model numbers and reviews. AVS Forums is a good site.

Historically some of the best deals on TV's is when models change over.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
LED, OLED, QLED, XLED, Vertical megahertz sync, polygonal aspect bitrate, tri-hexa ratio... blah blah blah blah blah.

4K with HDR is stunning and absolutely worth it in my opinion. On a smaller screen it makes little sense to me but on anything over 50" it's noticeable how amazing everything looks.

HDR is worth it, just too bad the selection of content and pricing still stinks. I don't see much benefit with 4K, but I sit about 8 feet away from my 50" Vizio, and most of it's benefits are due to the improvements in TV tech vs my Sony LCD from 2009.

Re-watched Wonder Woman, and it still stunk, but it looked a little better from its UHD Bluray (I bought the Sony model whatever UHD Bluray player from Best Buy a couple weeks ago for $150). That's a good player, super weighty, a nearly ridiculous 8 pounds, and glad I skipped over the LG that is $100, read complaints about vibrations.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00