4K Televisions: Are they worth it?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Curved is a gimmick as well as QLED IMO. I have not checked any of the things you listed. I don't like sharp and be very careful with black Friday deals. If it's too cheap there may be a good reason.... for instance Samsung last year I believe bought Sharp panels and re-branded them for Black Friday. Check model numbers and reviews. AVS Forums is a good site.

Historically some of the best deals on TV's is when models change over.
Curved is a gimmick? Thats a new one. Its entirely preference. I perfer curved screes due to being able to see the TV more clearly from an angle and the deflection of reflections on the TV. Just like 3D. Some people like it, some people dont. I dont think gimmick is the right word for it though.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Surfing through various TV deals for the parents, the LG 49" J6300 is $330 at Best Buy. That looked to be one of the better budget values for name brand 4k TV's.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Congratulations to all future 900E owners, it's a really wonderful TV for this price. I bought it in the Spring at what became $2000 (after purchase protection through Discover) and don't regret it. Just as I mentioned I'm finding Android TV a huge pain on occasion. I'd be curious if any of you ever ran into that going forward.

I do want to note for anyone buying TVs this week, if you're on the fence and have the budget, that's a really solid deal on the B7 from LG and it outclasses anything else above the 900E. My choices would probably be LG B7 if I had >$1.5k budget, 900E if greater than $1.2k and then the 850E 55" or 65" if between $800-$1.2k.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I posted about my experience with android and a Sony 4K tv. I think you should have them check it out.
Missed that, my bad. Crazy work schedule.

I might call them up if it keeps happening, I'll just get the tech support troubleshooting loop of death though until it can be reproduced. Which isn't often to ever. Just seems to happen a few days, then an update, not again for a month, then an update, endless loop until power cycle... etc. No pattern besides usually around some update.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Going to Best Buy tomorrow after work to check on a 4K one as well.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-5...th-high-dynamic-range/5748209.p?skuId=5748209

My old roommate had one and I really didn't like the motion smoothing that 4K does but guess you can adjust it to have that removed? Would the quality go down much if you do that? Want to go look at one again and make sure I can enjoy it before just buying one.

Not all of them have that smoothing you're talking about. It is usually a setting that can be turned on or off.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Missed that, my bad. Crazy work schedule.

I might call them up if it keeps happening, I'll just get the tech support troubleshooting loop of death though until it can be reproduced. Which isn't often to ever. Just seems to happen a few days, then an update, not again for a month, then an update, endless loop until power cycle... etc. No pattern besides usually around some update.

It may be a hassle but I would push the issue before the warranty is out. They may replace with a newer model. I have the BB warranty for this reason. The only issue I have had with my Android Sony 4K is the Amazon ap which is a known issue on all the forums. Sounds like a bug or something with your display.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
It may be a hassle but I would push the issue before the warranty is out. They may replace with a newer model. I have the BB warranty for this reason. The only issue I have had with my Android Sony 4K is the Amazon ap which is a known issue on all the forums. Sounds like a bug or something with your display.

I got the extended warranty for almost free. YMMV but I got best buy to discount the overall TV 5% via the warranty, so I could still price match the purchase price. I still might... but I need more ammo than 'it's happening occasionally, sort of around updates and I can't figure out why'.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I see the 50 inch LG OLED tv is on sale for 1499...i've been trying to find something between 400-600 but may have to convince my fiance to let met get the oled

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I see the 50 inch LG OLED tv is on sale for 1499...i've been trying to find something between 400-600 but may have to convince my fiance to let met get the oled

55" 800E is $800 right now, solid price for a good TV if your price range is lower.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
55" 800E is $800 right now, solid price for a good TV if your price range is lower.
I've been thinking about getting a TCL or Vizio. I recently purchased Vizio M Series tv's for conference rooms at work, but havent been overly impressed with the picture quality

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the LG ÓLED55C7 at Amazon for $1700. I have their Prime CC, so I got another 5% back on top of the regular 5% back for 10% total in Amazon Cash, so basically paid the tax on it. That's about $150 more than the B7 at Costco for the Atmos sound and black bezel. I really don't like the silver bezel on the B7.

Should be here Dec 4th and I am so stoked. Been waiting out OLED $$$ coming down to what I would consider a reasonable price range and here it is. I wasn't going to pay more than 2K for a 55"again. I Paid 4k for my Panasonic Plasma about 9 years ago and it's served me well, but it does have some noticeable burn in on some white backgrounds and when a lot of the screen is white I get this light-bluish snow (not great for hockey lol), which I haven't been able to find info on and is on both the Living room and my room Panasonic Plasma's (Different Models).

Did I say how stoked I am :bb:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
im extremely close to buying the lg b7, seems like a great deal. I just dont know if its worth the difference between another regular 4k model vs the oled.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
im extremely close to buying the lg b7, seems like a great deal. I just dont know if its worth the difference between another regular 4k model vs the oled.

Depends on you. Once you go Plasma it's hard to go to LED. It always seems to me there is a digital effect to LCD's if only slight on the latest models. Only OLED looks Analog to me. If you can go to a store and look at a nice Samsung LED side by side to an LG OLED and not see the difference then why not get more in an LED than you can get in an OLED for the same or lesser price. To most people the OLED will be substantially better and why I waited so long to buy.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Well, I just pulled the trigger on the LG ÓLED55C7 at Amazon for $1700. I have their Prime CC, so I got another 5% back on top of the regular 5% back for 10% total in Amazon Cash, so basically paid the tax on it. That's about $150 more than the B7 at Costco for the Atmos sound and black bezel. I really don't like the silver bezel on the B7.

Should be here Dec 4th and I am so stoked. Been waiting out OLED $$$ coming down to what I would consider a reasonable price range and here it is. I wasn't going to pay more than 2K for a 55"again. I Paid 4k for my Panasonic Plasma about 9 years ago and it's served me well, but it does have some noticeable burn in on some white backgrounds and when a lot of the screen is white I get this light-bluish snow (not great for hockey lol), which I haven't been able to find info on and is on both the Living room and my room Panasonic Plasma's (Different Models).

Did I say how stoked I am :bb:

Let us know what you think. I will be waiting a year or so on OLED. I love my Pioneer Plasma but not for gaming, movies look the best on it still.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I just purchased the TCL 55p607 for $649 from amazon, but only realized after i bought it that its out of stock and wont ship until after christmas.

I see the TCL 55C507 which apparently looks better asthetically, and has a built in speaker, but lacks full array dimming which the p series has. It's available to ship today and is $699.

Im fine with waiting but am wondering if the C Series is better then the P Series? As someone coing from a 1080i RCA 50 inch tv, not sure what hte difference is with full array dimming and if i should just wait for the p series which has it, or go to the c series which doesnt but is 50 bucks more?

Edit: now im reading that you cant turn off the motion effect htat makes the tv look like a soap opera and that sports arent great on this tv. think im gonna cancel but not sure of an affordable alternative. I may have to just get the lg oled

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Cancelled the tcl. Any recommendations on a 4K 55 inch led with a 240 refresh rate? Budget between 600 and 1200

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
I still have a 2008 HDTV, 1080 p, 60 hz lol

I still can't justify buying a newer model, even with a good deal

There is just no need afaic

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Cancelled the tcl. Any recommendations on a 4K 55 inch led with a 240 refresh rate? Budget between 600 and 1200

Just about every quality LED panel these days has a 120Hz native refresh. (lower end panels will be 60Hz) Pretty much anytime you see the description "240Hz" it's the manufacturers taking liberties with the term. Typically "240Hz" means the TV has some form of motion smoothing image processor. You might care about the quality of motion processing from the different brands/models, but "240Hz" is not a one-size-fits-all technical spec.

If you're one of the rare people connecting your PC to the TV to play games, then you might care about the TV's supported input Hz rates. Most TV's only support 60Hz input, but there are some that will take a native 120Hz input signal. High end PC rigs can generate over 60fps, so having 120Hz is a nice option for them. Gamers with Xboxes or Playstations won't benefit though--those top out at 60Hz output. Note: there are other reasons to care about gaming/consoles on a TV I won't go into detail on, primarily revolving around how much processing delay your TV generates.

As we've been talking about the Sony 900e a good bit here, the 55" 900e is selling at $1000 USD right now (wasn't sure if you were talking USD or CAD in your budget).

Reactions: Danko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->