4K Televisions: Are they worth it?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Just about every quality LED panel these days has a 120Hz native refresh. (lower end panels will be 60Hz) Pretty much anytime you see the description "240Hz" it's the manufacturers taking liberties with the term. Typically "240Hz" means the TV has some form of motion smoothing image processor. You might care about the quality of motion processing from the different brands/models, but "240Hz" is not a one-size-fits-all technical spec.

If you're one of the rare people connecting your PC to the TV to play games, then you might care about the TV's supported input Hz rates. Most TV's only support 60Hz input, but there are some that will take a native 120Hz input signal. High end PC rigs can generate over 60fps, so having 120Hz is a nice option for them. Gamers with Xboxes or Playstations won't benefit though--those top out at 60Hz output. Note: there are other reasons to care about gaming/consoles on a TV I won't go into detail on, primarily revolving around how much processing delay your TV generates.

As we've been talking about the Sony 900e a good bit here, the 55" 900e is selling at $1000 USD right now (wasn't sure if you were talking USD or CAD in your budget).

Thanks for the insight. What I’m trying to avoid is the soap opera effect. What I read about the tcl after the fact was that you could not turn off the motion processing which causes the effect.

I primarily watch hockey and Comcast cable on my current rca tv. I want to have a solid tv for those two items. While I have a ps4 slim, I barely game.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
You guys sold me, went with the 900e from Sony. Any calibration recommendations?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
the 55" 900e is fantastic. I can't imagine going bigger then that in my living room.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Got a question for those that have been on the 4k thing for a while. How does dvd quality content look on the panel, does it look worse than on a 1080p display or about the same?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a t.v. mount. I currently have a 55" television and am looking to upgrade to a larger screen in the future, 75" maximum, so are there any that would work for the current television and not look completely stupid?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
the 55" 900e is fantastic. I can't imagine going bigger then that in my living room.

That's funny. I went to Fry's today for a hard drive for work and had to look at the LG OLED's again before getting mine next Monday and the 55" looked so small in the store I got sad face I couldn't get the 65" for my bedroom :(

I also upgraded my Denon to the X2300W. I am so excited to get this all up and running!

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Got a question for those that have been on the 4k thing for a while. How does dvd quality content look on the panel, does it look worse than on a 1080p display or about the same?

I have not watched too many DVD's but the display should upscale it and there was a big difference overall in PQ from my last LCD. It's hard to say how much it is from the newer display and how much is 4K scaling.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'll be able to answer this tomorrow afternoon. :hyper:

I'm not expecting much to be honest. The main reason for my upgrade is OLED. Reading some articles it seems I'm not alone in thinking OLED and HDR is a much larger upgrade to the end user experience.

Now, if I had a 65" or larger screen right now and was getting a 65" or larger TV tomorrow I would be expecting a little more out of 4K, but with a 55" and my viewing distance and the age of my eyes I'm just not expecting much. Then again, how would I know the difference since I'm not upgrading OLED 1080p to OLED 4k.

Still, I feel like it's Christmas Eve.

Last edited:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I'll be able to answer this tomorrow afternoon. :hyper:

I'm not expecting much to be honest. The main reason for my upgrade is OLED. Reading some articles it seems I'm not alone in thinking OLED and HDR is a much larger upgrade to the end user experience.

Now, if I had a 65" or larger screen right now and was getting a 65" or larger TV tomorrow I would be expecting a little more out of 4K, but with a 55" and my viewing distance and the age of my eyes I'm just not expecting much. Then again, how would I know the difference since I'm not upgrading OLED 1080p to OLED 4k.

Still, I feel like it's Christmas Eve.

I don't disagree with you, at the smaller sizes. The problem with 4k/HDR, is that the available content and price is not great...when I can get an HD Bluray for $10 or less vs the UHD version that is $25, HD Bluray it is.

The sets are getting cheap enough, and the rest of the underlying technology is big enough upgrade for some, that buying a 4k set isn't a bad idea though. The local dimming and LED backlight on my Vizio are leaps ahead of the Sony that I bought in 2009.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I don't disagree with you, at the smaller sizes. The problem with 4k/HDR, is that the available content and price is not great...when I can get an HD Bluray for $10 or less vs the UHD version that is $25, HD Bluray it is.

The sets are getting cheap enough, and the rest of the underlying technology is big enough upgrade for some, that buying a 4k set isn't a bad idea though. The local dimming and LED backlight on my Vizio are leaps ahead of the Sony that I bought in 2009.

Yeah, like I said I upgraded for the other tech vs 4k, but now that I'm getting one I browsed around looking at content availability etc.. and first, there's not much and second, yes the price is up there still. Hopefully this comes down as well over time. But, being able to click and watch is much nicer than having to find Blu-ray, put in player and watch. I'm much more likely to re-watch if all I have to do is click click click. I know, lazy first world problems, but that's the truth. Is it worth the convenience? Not yet.

But, HDR Content is available via Netflix and maybe other streaming services?, so...

There aren't many movies, but I believe most of their original content has it. They are 4k.

EDIT: Delete

Last edited:

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I've been using my LG OLED65C6P that I got for super cheap during Fry's crazy July 4th inventory clearance sale this year (ended up being like $1700 after price match and codes) and I still love it.
Been streaming 4k on Netflix, but I've been eyeing Xbox sales just to use it as a 4k player. :laugh:

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a t.v. mount. I currently have a 55" television and am looking to upgrade to a larger screen in the future, 75" maximum, so are there any that would work for the current television and not look completely stupid?

Mantelmounts are a little pricey, but they are solid and I'm a fan of mine, especially if you're thinking about mounting it over a fireplace (I have a pull-down mount since my fireplace is a little tall). The one I have supports up to 90" TVs.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Good point about UHD DVD's. Not a good selection yet and the price they are charging is way too high. The cost to make can't be more at all but I guess they are not selling in quantity yet. I'm kinda pissed Netflix UHD is going up to $13.99, I don't even need the other screens.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Got a deal too good to pass up on a LG OLED. Should be delivered in a couple of weeks. Will need to return P-Series first. Thankful for the 90-day returns at Costco for electronics.

Reactions: Danko

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I had to be talked out of the LG Oled b7a from my fiance. Im still happy with the Sony 900e however

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Got a deal too good to pass up on a LG OLED. Should be delivered in a couple of weeks. Will need to return P-Series first. Thankful for the 90-day returns at Costco for electronics.

Yeah, sure... You just couldn't handle me having a better TV than you :sarcasm:

In other news: I'm loving it. I've still got to fine tune some picture modes using some settings I've found on AVS etc..., but to be honest it's fine as is with so many Picture Modes. I updated to the latest Firmware last night and it added Technicolor Expert Mode and I've got to say it's the best yet for every day TV viewing for me.

I like my TV really dark late at night when going to bed and I can't believe how dark I can make it and still have a picture that is watchable compared to my Plasma. I figure this will help on the wear and tear of the panel.

Hopefully today I can get ARC working and check out some 4K Netflix stuff.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Yeah, sure... You just couldn't handle me having a better TV than you :sarcasm:

In other news: I'm loving it. I've still got to fine tune some picture modes using some settings I've found on AVS etc..., but to be honest it's fine as is with so many Picture Modes. I updated to the latest Firmware last night and it added Technicolor Expert Mode and I've got to say it's the best yet for every day TV viewing for me.

I like my TV really dark late at night when going to bed and I can't believe how dark I can make it and still have a picture that is watchable compared to my Plasma. I figure this will help on the wear and tear of the panel.

Hopefully today I can get ARC working and check out some 4K Netflix stuff.

I didn't even see you got it. Nice, man.

Yeah, with this one, I can get a refund on my Vizio and take the new hit just on my paycheck. With a big coupon, it ended up being cheaper than the Black Friday sales as well as getting $860 back on my CC!

Delivered Monday between 9 and 1. Taking a sick day since I am sick, too.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I didn't even see you got it. Nice, man.

Yeah, with this one, I can get a refund on my Vizio and take the new hit just on my paycheck. With a big coupon, it ended up being cheaper than the Black Friday sales as well as getting $860 back on my CC!

Delivered Monday between 9 and 1. Taking a sick day since I am sick, too.

Mine said no Firmware Update Available, but I was missing a Picture Mode. So if you want the latest, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction to manually update.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Wait, what is the update for?

There are many, but the latest will include the previous. There will be more to follow as this is how they add features and fix bugs. The second to last update added the feature I knew should be there, but wasn't, which was Picture Mode: Technicolor Expert. Right now I like that Picture mode the best for every day TV watching. But I haven't played with the adjustments on other Picture Modes other than Use Standard to obscenely dim the TV for going to sleep mode.

Go here for the 55" model LG OLED55C7P Support: Manuals, Warranty & More | LG U.S.A

The software is the same for all the OLED Models. If it doesn't apply it won't install, but you can search around for your exact model if your concerned.

Scroll down to Software, Firmware, & Drivers - click reference for what each update did.

You can download the firmware and install instructions there as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad