OT: 48th Obsequious Banter Thread - Wawa vs Sheetz, Devastate vs Mustard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I was working retail then, so I did the early shifts on weekdays when I didn't have classes and whatever shifts I could get on the weekends.

Yea that's pretty much the key to how difficult it is. If you're working a normal in college job, like at Target or at a restaurant or something, it's easier because of flexible schedules and weekend shifts. If you have an 8-5 with an hour commute, it's not nearly as easy.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Does anyone know the best way to get to 30th Street Station from Jersey? Driving and parking seems like it would be the most expensive, but taking the Patco and subway isn't really cheap either. That also seems to be about an hour and a half commute one way, whereas driving would be about 40-60 mins depending on traffic.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Does anyone know the best way to get to 30th Street Station from Jersey? Driving and parking seems like it would be the most expensive, but taking the Patco and subway isn't really cheap either. That also seems to be about an hour and a half commute one way, whereas driving would be about 40-60 mins depending on traffic.

The Atlantic City Line, stops in Cherry Hill, Pennsauken, Atco, Lindenwold..etc and will take you right to 30th Street. I did it when I didn't have my car at school. Was a nice change of pace. Parking in the city will cost you more than the round trip train tickets.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
The Atlantic City Line, stops in Cherry Hill, Pennsauken, Atco, Lindenwold..etc and will take you right to 30th Street. I did it when I didn't have my car at school. Was a nice change of pace. Parking in the city will cost you more than the round trip train tickets.

Yea, I'm thinking it's going to be either that or driving to Ferry Ave to take the speedline in, and then transferring at 8th and Market. The AC line would be the easy way to go, but the train runs like every two hours. There's about a 12 minute time frame to get from the train to where I need to be, and then the same for when I'm leaving to get back to the train.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I worked full-time for most of my university degree.

The key that I found is to stack your classes into same day blocks (MWF or TuTh)... works really well if you can get all of your classes on Tuesday/Thursday (5 classes made 7.5 hours of class time those days, though). I was working retail then, so I did the early shifts on weekdays when I didn't have classes and whatever shifts I could get on the weekends. It surprisingly didn't limit my social life like I expected it to and I still had time to play the intramural sports I wanted to.

The only annoyance was if I needed a lab session, which would not usually be scheduled on the same day as the class itself. Otherwise, full time school and full time work wasn't the worst thing ever.

As others have mentioned, though, it depends on what you're taking. I did an Econ degree, with many secondary math, philosophy and history classes. Only math, and sometimes Econ, required extensive out of class work.

This is exactly what I did for the fall actually, all of my classes are Tuesday Thursday and I have Wednesday's off as well. I work 4 10s. My job was nice enough to work my schedule out as I needed to.

Yea that's pretty much the key to how difficult it is. If you're working a normal in college job, like at Target or at a restaurant or something, it's easier because of flexible schedules and weekend shifts. If you have an 8-5 with an hour commute, it's not nearly as easy.

Yea no normal in college job, but I talked to them and they worked with me, for THIS semester anyway. I've been with the company for over 6 years, they were willing to throw me a bone. But yea, I have an hour commute and its 2-12 or 3-1. As long as we don't get a **** ton of snow this year or any hurricanes or other catastrophic weather events, including random 70 or 80 degree days in the winter... I should have a few slow hours at work to get some schoolwork done if needed.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yea, I'm thinking it's going to be either that or driving to Ferry Ave to take the speedline in, and then transferring at 8th and Market. The AC line would be the easy way to go, but the train runs like every two hours. There's about a 12 minute time frame to get from the train to where I need to be, and then the same for when I'm leaving to get back to the train.

Between tolls and gas and metered parking or garages, driving is going to be way more expensive and honestly as long as you know the trains schedule its likely faster then driving anyway. I would suggest Ferry Ave to 8th and market transfer to 30th. Take it with a grain of salt though, I've never worked in the city; my sister has though and I can safely say that your best bet is definitely PATCO & Transfer.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
So I had to buy a case of twisted teas for the first time in my life, and they were more expensive than my imported beer. Made me hate them even more. :rant:

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Damn... One of (if not the) my favorite comedians... Seemed to have picked up quite a bit of new energy in the last few years :(

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Today I was fishing up in New Hampshire. On a lake named, "Lake Kanasatka"

And I caught a Pickerel. Me being the novice fisher I am. I just shoved my hand into its mouth to remove the hook and of course a pickerel has a lot of sharp teeth I tore my hand up. And to make matters worse was I was on a Kayak. I pulled my had out of its mouth with the lure and then tipped the Kayak. Luckily, I was only 30ft from shore.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Damn... One of (if not the) my favorite comedians... Seemed to have picked up quite a bit of new energy in the last few years :(

Comedic genius ......one of my favorites as well. Loved how he would ad lib

Sucks......I heard Mrs Doubtfire 2 was in the works?

Good Will Hunting is still one of my faves....

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I saw Robin Williams window shopping in Vancouver several years ago. An older couple stopped him and asked him for a picture and he politely obliged, but he looked really sad.

I had hoped that I wouldn't hear the news that I heard today but, since that day (plus all of the drug/alcohol/depression stories he couldn't avoid), I kind of expected it.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
I started remembering all the other movies he was in that I loved. While I only saw Jumanji and Hook once each as a kid, they were great. Mrs. Doubtfire a classic. Death to Smoochy underrated.

Ultimately, Dead Poet's Society, The Birdcage, and Good Will Hunting stand out to me as some of my favorite movies of all time. RIP :(

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Today I was fishing up in New Hampshire. On a lake named, "Lake Kanasatka"

And I caught a Pickerel. Me being the novice fisher I am. I just shoved my hand into its mouth to remove the hook and of course a pickerel has a lot of sharp teeth I tore my hand up. And to make matters worse was I was on a Kayak. I pulled my had out of its mouth with the lure and then tipped the Kayak. Luckily, I was only 30ft from shore.

fished there as a child with my grandfather when I was a kid. Didn't catch a damn thing. Sucks about your bad day on the lake. Hope you cleaned out that wound from the pickerel teeth.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
My grandfather would always tell me when I was younger, "do you know what Kanasatka means in Indian?" ..."Lake with no fish".

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
I started remembering all the other movies he was in that I loved. While I only saw Jumanji and Hook once each as a kid, they were great. Mrs. Doubtfire a classic. Death to Smoochy underrated.

Ultimately, Dead Poet's Society, The Birdcage, and Good Will Hunting stand out to me as some of my favorite movies of all time. RIP :(

I couldn't believe it at first... Kind of sad when a man who made people laugh for a living couldn't keep himself happy enough.

I always loved What Dreams May Come

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Bovada decided to stop taking deposits from NJ residents right before football season...

vader.jpg

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Today I learned Hal Gill's full name.

Harold Priestley Gill, III.

The thiiiiird. Ser Gill of Concord!

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
My grandfather would always tell me when I was younger, "do you know what Kanasatka means in Indian?" ..."Lake with no fish".

Interesting. My grandfather would always tell me when I was younger "If a woman will put a cigarette in her mouth, she'll put anything in her mouth."

Hell of a thing to say to a 6 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad