OT: 48th Obsequious Banter Thread - Wawa vs Sheetz, Devastate vs Mustard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
On pets and small children left in hot cars, there was a letter in the Montreal Gazette today where the letter writer pointed out that she received a $102 ticket for an illegal right-hand turn. However, it was reported here that a woman who left her 7-month-old baby alone in a locked car while she went shopping, however, was fined $60.

Priorities?

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
On pets and small children left in hot cars, there was a letter in the Montreal Gazette today where the letter writer pointed out that she received a $102 ticket for an illegal right-hand turn. However, it was reported here that a woman who left her 7-month-old baby alone in a locked car while she went shopping, however, was fined $60.

Priorities?

I think the fact that that is a ticketable offense is a joke. You should be in line for some jail time or losing custody of your kid IMO, but I'm a bit on the extreme end.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

Priorities?

nothing shocks me anymore.
ridiculous.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
If anyone plays guitar and is looking for some gear let me know, I have some things I'm looking to sell. Mesa, Jackson, LTD, Wampler, Orange... Also, if anyone has a Mark V they're looking to move let me know.

PM me if you're interested.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Ay, why has HF changed the settings to 25 posts per page maximum? IT SUCKS!!!!! I love it when I could have 50 or 100 without clicking NEXT PAGE NEXT PAGE NEXT PAGE like a maniac. :(

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ay, why has HF changed the settings to 25 posts per page maximum? IT SUCKS!!!!! I love it when I could have 50 or 100 without clicking NEXT PAGE NEXT PAGE NEXT PAGE like a maniac. :(

Best reason for shorter pages is probably because it gives them more ad revenue...

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Got an A+ on my college test

Congrats! On the topic of college... Anyone here work full time and attend school full time? I work full time for AAA, and have recently decided to start going back to school. Going part time taking 2-3 classes at a time. I've been out of school for almost 7 years now and am wondering if anyone is in q similar situation, how do you handle the workload and homework and such. I wouldn't say I struggled through the 2 semesters I've done already but the 2nd one I did definitely have a bit of a scare about halfway through the course when I started failing tests here and there. I don't want to take on too much and end up flunking courses as I'd have to pay out of pocket on anything I take and don't get a c or above in. Any suggestions tips or help is much appreciated.

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
Congrats! On the topic of college... Anyone here work full time and attend school full time? I work full time for AAA, and have recently decided to start going back to school. Going part time taking 2-3 classes at a time. I've been out of school for almost 7 years now and am wondering if anyone is in q similar situation, how do you handle the workload and homework and such. I wouldn't say I struggled through the 2 semesters I've done already but the 2nd one I did definitely have a bit of a scare about halfway through the course when I started failing tests here and there. I don't want to take on too much and end up flunking courses as I'd have to pay out of pocket on anything I take and don't get a c or above in. Any suggestions tips or help is much appreciated.

Part time is definitely the way to go, 1 or 2 classes a semester to start. Depending on what you are doing and where you are going, you might also look into online classes.

I find online classes distasteful, but they are marketed to working professionals. I'm a professional student, finishing up my last year of doctoral studies (knock on wood), and I've seen a lot change since I started college 9 years ago. Best of luck.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

I had to go back to school to get some extra college credits for a professional certification. I took all online classes while I did it, taking two a semester. The best thing was being able to bang out 4 classes in 2 months in the summer. My wife went to school full time while working full time for 1 or 2 semesters when we were younger, but I helped her out with stuff.

I worked about 25 - 30 hours a week all through college, but that isn't exactly 40 - 50 hours. Going full time and working full time is difficult to do for any extended period. If you have a family I'd advise against it.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012

I'd probably start off with 1-2 classes. No sense in overworking yourself, especially if it'll screw up your GPA and cost you more money. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

As far as online classes go, they're not for everyone. It's definitely worth a try. They make working full time and going to school much more convenient.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
To add to what others have said, it obviously also depends on what you intend to study.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
I managed college + part time work just fine and I studied civil/env eng which had quite a heavy course load. How do you manage? You just just have to have the motivation dude. Some of the smartest guys I know have flunked out because their heart wasnt in it. Throughout college it was clear that the older (back from work life) students managed their time a lot better, and generally succeeded more than the rest of us. Youll be just fine man

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Part time is definitely the way to go, 1 or 2 classes a semester to start. Depending on what you are doing and where you are going, you might also look into online classes.

I find online classes distasteful, but they are marketed to working professionals. I'm a professional student, finishing up my last year of doctoral studies (knock on wood), and I've seen a lot change since I started college 9 years ago. Best of luck.

Yea, I took 2 classes in the spring and another 2 in the summer. I signed up for 12 credits in the Fall so I'll just see how that goes. I just don't want to be in school til I'm in my mid 30s. I'm 25 now and figured out I regretted not going way too late. I agree about the online stuff. I'm a verbal learner I need to be in class to focus and able to ask questions, one of the classes I took over the summer was online, and I have a feeling the reason I struggled in it so much was that. I may just have to suck it up and figure it out as it seems that those are the classes that are going to be easier to make work with my schedule.

I had to go back to school to get some extra college credits for a professional certification. I took all online classes while I did it, taking two a semester. The best thing was being able to bang out 4 classes in 2 months in the summer. My wife went to school full time while working full time for 1 or 2 semesters when we were younger, but I helped her out with stuff.

I worked about 25 - 30 hours a week all through college, but that isn't exactly 40 - 50 hours. Going full time and working full time is difficult to do for any extended period. If you have a family I'd advise against it.

Yea no family yet fortunately or unfortunately however you see it haha. But yea, typically I work about 40-48 hours a week depending on if they need me for OT or not, plus an hour commute each way, thinking about it I really don't think I would be able to do 16-18 credits in a semester. I'll probably just stick with what I'm doing and keep taking summer and winter courses when I can to make up for not taking a full courseload in the Fall and Spring.

I'd probably start off with 1-2 classes. No sense in overworking yourself, especially if it'll screw up your GPA and cost you more money. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

As far as online classes go, they're not for everyone. It's definitely worth a try. They make working full time and going to school much more convenient.

Thanks for the advice. That's pretty much where I'm at now, and I'll just have to make it work. I'll keep pushing to see where I finally can't keep up, and work it out from there.

To add to what others have said, it obviously also depends on what you intend to study.

Declared for Psychology although I'm far from totally committed to that. I think at some point I'd like to get into some kind of training and development or Human Resources.

I managed college + part time work just fine and I studied civil/env eng which had quite a heavy course load. How do you manage? You just just have to have the motivation dude. Some of the smartest guys I know have flunked out because their heart wasnt in it. Throughout college it was clear that the older (back from work life) students managed their time a lot better, and generally succeeded more than the rest of us. Youll be just fine man

I can't afford to work part time, well I retract that, I could, but theres not a chance I give up my current job to go work for wawa or something like that and dramatically change the way I live now so I can be a poor broke college student again.

Thanks for the input all; it's much appreciated.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

I worked full-time for most of my university degree.

The key that I found is to stack your classes into same day blocks (MWF or TuTh)... works really well if you can get all of your classes on Tuesday/Thursday (5 classes made 7.5 hours of class time those days, though). I was working retail then, so I did the early shifts on weekdays when I didn't have classes and whatever shifts I could get on the weekends. It surprisingly didn't limit my social life like I expected it to and I still had time to play the intramural sports I wanted to.

The only annoyance was if I needed a lab session, which would not usually be scheduled on the same day as the class itself. Otherwise, full time school and full time work wasn't the worst thing ever.

As others have mentioned, though, it depends on what you're taking. I did an Econ degree, with many secondary math, philosophy and history classes. Only math, and sometimes Econ, required extensive out of class work.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I worked full-time for most of my university degree.

The key that I found is to stack your classes into same day blocks (MWF or TuTh)... works really well if you can get all of your classes on Tuesday/Thursday (5 classes made 7.5 hours of class time those days, though). I was working retail then, so I did the early shifts on weekdays when I didn't have classes and whatever shifts I could get on the weekends. It surprisingly didn't limit my social life like I expected it to and I still had time to play the intramural sports I wanted to.

The only annoyance was if I needed a lab session, which would not usually be scheduled on the same day as the class itself. Otherwise, full time school and full time work wasn't the worst thing ever.

As others have mentioned, though, it depends on what you're taking. I did an Econ degree, with many secondary math, philosophy and history classes. Only math, and sometimes Econ, required extensive out of class work.

Same here. I worked 35-40 hours a week for my last two years of undergrad. I never had much of a problem scheduling all MWF classes. My social life wasn't the greatest (still had my fair share of fun in place of sleep), but it was worth it to me to live somewhere that wasn't some run down hell hole like the housing around campus.

It's not that difficult to do, but like others have said, you have to stay organized and focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad