Post-Game Talk: #48 | FLYERS (H) vs. Devils (A) | Sunday, Apr. 25, 2021 | Flyers win 4-3 (3-2 in SO)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This guy is past the tide pods and onto the chocolate fountains...

uvASNC2.jpg

User motor oil is significantly more delicious than milk chocolate.

Anyways, Elliott did the thing where he made some big saves but he also did a lot of stuff that we are lucky didn't go in. This system is a manure fire. Everyone is confused and it's dreadful to watch. Blah blah, same as always

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah I don’t think the Flyers necessarily drafted poorly during the Hextall rebuild. They more so got out of it what they put into it imo. They’ve yielded a decent amount of middle of the lineup pieces but the higher end talent just isn’t really there.

Development & recognizing strengths/weaknesses of these players probably haven’t been the best on top of some of the unfortunate injuries.

Their lust for coaching dynamic creative play out of prospects in favor of safety has done unknowable damage.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Their lust for coaching dynamic creative play out of prospects in favor of safety has done unknowable damage.

Really think this is the problem.

The Flyers are a finesse oriented lineup, asked to play dump and chase old-school hockey. The vets can adapt due to their experience, passion and urgency to win, and favorable icetime & opportunity due to "trust" - the kids, not so much. Maybe because they're not worried about getting benched, and free rides (i.e., Hayes)

Even Farabee, who we thought could - was simply on a hot streak. Hasn't been the same in a while. None of the kids have.

I don't know, or don't care, if AV is a good coach. But he isn't the right coach. The Flyers' problem has always been the same: they try to find players to fit a mold - rather than find the mold that fits the players.

The latter is much easier than the former. It's really tough to cherry pick specific types of players, but much easier to create a system that suits the players you have.

Last edited:

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Sometimes watching Elliot in shoot-outs I feel like I'm watching an EA NHL Hockey goalie on a mid 90s Sega Genesis game.

Andre Racicot was the best at that (I think 1993 or 94). He would come out to the right circle to cut down the angle, but when the play would move to the slot, he would just square up in the right circle, and then dive to try try to make the save at the last minute, always falling short.

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
If the second period was extended by a half-second, the Flyers beat the Devils in six games in 2000 and the hit and loss of Game 7 never happen.

That was quite a series. Oof. But I prefer to remember this one right now. Markov from Zhamnov and Malahkov is not a typical connection you hear out of Philly over the years. My favourite team, apart from Lindros, LeClair and Renberg era. Zhamnov and Markov were quietly great adds.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Morin was bad.
Myers did have a nice move on the first goal, wound up like he was going to take a wild slap shot, then fired a wrist shot Couts could deflect.

Allison had another good game.

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Tell me how Giroux is supposed to win the Flyers games when he's not on the ice for 40/60 of the minutes?

Why do people think one player, a captain usually, is supposed to carry TEAMS to championships?

no, just series wins.....again, how many SERIES has his teams won during his captaincy ?

well, I'm waiting :soap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad