Post-Game Talk: #48 | FLYERS (H) vs. Devils (A) | Sunday, Apr. 25, 2021 | Flyers win 4-3 (3-2 in SO)

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Look at their per game. Their per minute. Ofc players miss games...

Each team that has won has had like 7+ 40 point players and 9+ 30 point players... when you look at that across the league, where 40+ points makes you a top 6 fwd vs league scoring...

umber of fwds who paced for 40+:

2015: Chicago: 7x
2016: Pittsburgh: 7x
2017: Pittsburgh: 7x
2018: Washington: 7x
2019: St. Louis: 7x
2020: Tampa Bay: 7x

I mean... it is not *actually* a major problem for the Flyers tbh. The top ~7-8 fwds is the least of the teams problems this year.

I think in isolation... if you gave this teams top 6-7 fwds one of the top teams bottom six+D+G groups they could be a contender.

Even this year they have 7x fwds at that. Last year they had 8. But before that from 2012-2019 they just never really had the fwd scoring depth.
Also in '14 playoffs they had G and Jake play dump and chase style. And even then for some reason they would target McDonaugh instead of Girardi's side. Why can't Giroux just play an honest hard working north south game like he is coached to a win the championship then? We just need more grinders to muck it up in a corner and we are bound to win. Giroux @ 50% for Brandon Tanev.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
A couple months ago he called Vigneault a master at in-game adjustments.

What do you even say to that?

What's really annoying is that in the initial pre-COVID stretch, you could spot tweaks after intermission.

Then he apparently decided he didn't feel like dealing with that. I guess that's Braun and Laughton's job now.

Reactions: kudymen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm withholding judgement on every player and AV off this season, it was a total clusterf--k
Two years ago they were playing at an elite level when the season stopped,
The team was obviously not in the same shape in the bubble.
And things have gotten really weird since the COVID break, especially unusual scoring slumps.
Not to mention Hart losing his mojo.

But compared to 2018-19, where there was also a goalie collapse, this team is more talented going forward.
G (31) - Couts (26) - Voracek (29) - coming off their peak season
JVR (29) - Patrick (20) - TK (21)
Lindblom (22) - Laughton (24) - Hartman (24)
Raffl (30) - Lehtera (31) - Vorobyev (22) - Knight (28) - Varone (28)

Provorov (22) - Ghost (25) - Sanheim (22) - Gudas (28) - Hagg (23) - AMac (32) - Myers (22)

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
It is what it is but I don’t think there’s this magical quick fix out there that can elevate this team into cup contention. Giroux, Couturier, Voracek, JVR, etc. aren’t getting any younger. You could possibly even lose one of the latter two in the expansion draft which is what it is but they still have to be replaced on the ice. Frankly I also don’t think the young guys are good enough as we hoped. Couturier’s about to get really expensive with a deal that goes into his late 30’s which isn’t really team friendly. That have to essentially make hay on that early both individually & team wise to make it worth it.

They can make the playoffs & probably would have with average goaltending this year. But you’re in that same boat of maybe making the playoffs, maybe winning a playoff of being you’re more likely upside. That does nothing for me anymore with a decade essentially of that ceiling & floor of just missing completely picking in the early teens.

The magical fix is this team just needs to learn how to tank 2-3 seasons and get some quality game breakers into the organization.

This mediocrity and playing for pride is BS.

Another Scott Laughton in the mid round isn't going to help any.

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I'm withholding judgement on every player and AV off this season, it was a total clusterf--k
And things have gotten really weird since the COVID break, especially unusual scoring slumps.

But compared to 2018-19, where there was also a goalie collapse, this team is more talented going forward.

Provorov (22) - Ghost (25) - Sanheim (22) - Gudas (28) - Hagg (23) - AMac (32) - Myers (22)
I stated this elsewhere earlier, so I apologize for the repetition. This year was a litmus test on coaching, it amplified coaches' abilities or inabilities. Here is what I mean:
  • every coach has been facing just 7 opposing coaches for longer than usual match-ups instead of 30 for shorter match-ups. That maybe makes scouting easier, but puts much more emphasis on analyses, preparation, in game adjustments, personnel adjustments and decisions. It seems like every coach in the East has cracked AV's code, and he has not offered any counter measures.
  • Lack of practice puts a lot of strain on every team and requires coach yet again to troubleshoot personnel decision, take a detailed look into players' commitment, compatibility, and chemistry. I have not seen any evidence of that. On contrary, it seems that some players are rewarded for underachieving, and coaches do not seem to bear any accountability for failures.
  • CoVid delay was real, but Flyers are not the only team to go through it. It takes entire team including coaching staff to pull through more or less successfully. Again, the biggest burden lies on the coaches (the same like in any business, where management is responsible for the business survival) to get the objectives achieved.
In summary, this year amplified AV's weaknesses as a coach; organizational poor personnel decisions in the past (lack of chemistry and compatibility), and lack of continuity between the farm system and the club.
On the personal level, all of that lead me, an avid fan, to complete apathy toward the club.

Last edited:

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Their lust for coaching dynamic creative play out of prospects in favor of safety has done unknowable damage.
this concerns me. both Patrick and Oskar look completely out of whack. and seem to be playing to not make mistakes. Like fear of being benched. makes. me concerned. use to see the same with other players when hak was coach.

granted they need to learn. but you also have to get them to build confidence which can't be done if they are more worried about n0t making mistakes as opposed to just playing their game that got them here

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
this concerns me. both Patrick and Oskar look completely out of whack. and seem to be playing to not make mistakes. Like fear of being benched. makes. me concerned. use to see the same with other players when hak was coach.

granted they need to learn. but you also have to get them to build confidence which can't be done if they are more worried about n0t making mistakes as opposed to just playing their game that got them here

I think those two just need an offseason to get completely healthy and a real training camp to get ready to play.
They're putting up good metrics, it just isn't translating to on ice success.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

it was last spring. or march. when the season stopped not two years ago.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Spare us all the ridiculousness and lets see some pupper pics.
106012FA-E62D-4609-9BED-1863897C6E33.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->