Prospect Info: #46 Givani Smith, LW, Guelph (OHL)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Because the broke-down version is more recent in our minds it's easy to forget that Cleary was drafted 13th overall, put up 74 points in 58 games in the AHL, and had 35 points in his first full NHL season.

He was 23 when he made his NHL debut and got 35 points. He got over 2 mins a game on the PP that year as well. The wings powerplay is bad this year but playing 13 mins a game with 2 on the powerplay I could see Smith score 10-15 goals and not be that surprised. Cleary was almost washed out of the league a couple years later because of his lack of effort, something Smith doesnt have.

The broke down version of Cleary had three times the work ethic of 13th overall Cleary so its hard to compare them as players

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I agree with all your points. Unfortunately, I think Smith being in GR has something to do with the expansion draft. I believe they are trying to limit the number of games he plays in order for him to be exempt from the expansion draft.

I could be wrong, but to me that's one plausible reason for him being in GR. Otherwise, he should 100% be on the roster. He'll be up full time after the deadline. I think Yzerman knows exactly what he's doing here.

You are wrong. Limiting games are not a factor in expansion draft. North American Pro Years are, THE FACTOR. Smith has to be either protected or leave non-protected no matter what where he is. This is his 3rd pro year and 1st-2nd year pros are exempt only.

Protected for sure:
1. Larkin
2. Mantha
3. Bertuzzi
4. Fabbri
5. Rasmussen
----------------- Can protect 2 of these 3
6. Namestnikov
7. Svechnikov
8. Givani Smith

-------------------left exposed:
Nielsen, Erne, Hirose + 1 from above

Rest are UFAs, like Ryan, Helm, Glendening, Filppula, Gagner.

Zadina, Brome, Seider, Veleno etc. are exempt.

It's a decision between those three who we are gonna left exposed.

I hope both Svechnikov and Givani will do so good, that Namestnikov is the one to left exposed.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedWingzz
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
You are wrong. Limiting games are not a factor in expansion draft. North American Pro Years are, THE FACTOR. Smith has to be either protected or leave non-protected no matter what where he is. This is his 3rd pro year and 1st-2nd year pros are exempt only.

Protected for sure:
1. Larkin
2. Mantha
3. Bertuzzi
4. Fabbri
5. Rasmussen
6. Namestnikov
7. Svechnikov
8. Givani Smith

I hope both Svechnikov and Givani will do so good, that Namestnikov is the one to left exposed.

Ah ok. For some reason I thought games played had a factor, but I guess not. To me, protecting Smith over Svech is a no brainer at this point. The Svech ship has sailed...although I do believe he should get one final chance to play.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Ah ok. For some reason I thought games played had a factor, but I guess not. To me, protecting Smith over Svech is a no brainer at this point. The Svech ship has sailed...although I do believe he should get one final chance to play.

There is a games played factor in that each team has to have two forwards and one defenceman exposed who are signed beyond this summer and have played either 40 games this season or 70 in the past two seasons combined. Right now, Hronek and Stecher are the only Wings D who have met those qualifications, though Djoos and Dekeyser are closing in. Djoos is technically only signed through the year but he's an RFA, so I think he still qualifies.

Reactions: BSHH

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
There is a games played factor in that each team has to have two forwards and one defenceman exposed who are signed beyond this summer and have played either 40 games this season or 70 in the past two seasons combined. Right now, Hronek and Stecher are the only Wings D who have met those qualifications, though Djoos and Dekeyser are closing in. Djoos is technically only signed through the year but he's an RFA, so I think he still qualifies.
They reduced the requirement to 27/54 due to the shortened seasons.

Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft Set For July 21

Reactions: Winger98

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

That's not the question. Question is that will you protect both Smith and Svechnikov before Namestnikov.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The problem he's gonna have as a bottom sixer is, can he PK?
Unless he becomes a true heavy weight, does he keep an NHL job in the bottom six with the PK element?

Couldn't you play him with Larkin-Mantha and watch him score 10-15 goals and provide some toughness?
He's not a PKer.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
You don't protect 4th line forwards. If he's selected good on him.

I don't know about that Shaman. I love this guys game and it's something the Wings are sorely lacking. I think this kid could be a 1993-1999 Darrin McCarty for the Wings and you wouldn't leave him exposed at that point. The guys a grinder, agitator, has more scoring than people give him credit for, but most of all it's his on ice presence that helps the Wings. I think he could develop into a 25-30 point guy given the ice time and on a line with two talented players. He meshes well with guys like Fabri and Names. I vote we cover him in the expansion draft.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's not the question. Question is that will you protect both Smith and Svechnikov before Namestnikov.

I protect both of the young guys. Namestnikov is another guy who is nice but I don't see him bringing anything special. I like at least the potential for big bodies in Smith and Svech, while Zadina and Raymond will (hopefully) erase spots for Namestnikov in the top6. Along with Veleno and Rasmussen coming in and taking top9 spots.

Reactions: MBH and Henkka

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I protect both of the young guys. Namestnikov is another guy who is nice but I don't see him bringing anything special. I like at least the potential for big bodies in Smith and Svech, while Zadina and Raymond will (hopefully) erase spots for Namestnikov in the top6. Along with Veleno and Rasmussen coming in and taking top9 spots.

I like Namestnikov and think he's performed admirably for us this season, but I also wouldn't cry if he were traded or lost in the expansion. He's a good 3rd liner who may fill in on the 2nd line during injuries and his contract is cheap.

Right now he's our 3rd line center. I'm hoping that Veleno can come in and the two of them can rotate who is C and who is W in Veleno's first season. But if we lose him before that happens then I won't be mad about it.

Reactions: MBH and Winger98

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't know about that Shaman. I love this guys game and it's something the Wings are sorely lacking. I think this kid could be a 1993-1999 Darrin McCarty for the Wings and you wouldn't leave him exposed at that point. The guys a grinder, agitator, has more scoring than people give him credit for, but most of all it's his on ice presence that helps the Wings. I think he could develop into a 25-30 point guy given the ice time and on a line with two talented players. He meshes well with guys like Fabri and Names. I vote we cover him in the expansion draft.
A guy who peaks at 30 points isn’t someone you give a ton of minutes to. Especially given his skating. And if there was an expansion draft in 1997 Dmac would have been exposed.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Smith is a hell of a lot closer to Mitch Callahan than Darrin McCarty

but sure protect him why not, god knows the Wings don't have much else worth protecting

Reactions: Rzombo4 prez

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
A guy who peaks at 30 points isn’t someone you give a ton of minutes to. Especially given his skating. And if there was an expansion draft in 1997 Dmac would have been exposed.

In 1997 the protected list ahead of McCarty would have almost been a HoF ballot list. A 24 yr old McCarty is definitely on the 2021 Wings protected list.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Protected for sure:
1. Larkin
2. Mantha
3. Bertuzzi
4. Fabbri
5. Rasmussen
6. Namestnikov
7. Svechnikov
8. Givani Smith

Why does Smith need to be protected but Zadina is exempt? They are both 3rd year pros. Both started playing for the Griffs in 18/19.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
In 1997 the protected list ahead of McCarty would have almost been a HoF ballot list. A 24 yr old McCarty is definitely on the 2021 Wings protected list.
I should have been more clear; if they followed the current rules where only 10 skaters could be protected. In the 98 expansion draft they could protect 10 forwards, 5 D, and 1 goalie. That means you're protecting everyone but your two worst everyday forwards.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Why does Smith need to be protected but Zadina is exempt? They are both 3rd year pros. Both started playing for the Griffs in 18/19.

"In order for a player to be eligible for Seattle to select them, they must have played more than 2 professional seasons by the end of the 2020-21 season. To use a Detroit example, Filip Zadina is exempt and Detroit does not have to use a protection slot on him, regardless of how many games he plays this season. In his case, this season will count as his second professional season because he only played 9 games in the NHL two seasons ago.

The short version is that for the purposes of the expansion draft, a professional season is defined as 10 or more NHL games for players who are 18 or 19 years old or 10 or more NHL games, AHL, or European professional league games for a player who turns 20 before December 31 the year the season begins."

Seattle Expansion Draft Series - Article 1: The Rules

Long story short, Zadina being as young as he is allowed him to play in Grand Rapids without it counting as a professional season, and he was held below the 10 NHL game threshold. Smith being drafted two years prior is the undoing for his status. His first AHL season started the clock, as I understand it.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
"In order for a player to be eligible for Seattle to select them, they must have played more than 2 professional seasons by the end of the 2020-21 season. To use a Detroit example, Filip Zadina is exempt and Detroit does not have to use a protection slot on him, regardless of how many games he plays this season. In his case, this season will count as his second professional season because he only played 9 games in the NHL two seasons ago.

The short version is that for the purposes of the expansion draft, a professional season is defined as 10 or more NHL games for players who are 18 or 19 years old or 10 or more NHL games, AHL, or European professional league games for a player who turns 20 before December 31 the year the season begins."

Seattle Expansion Draft Series - Article 1: The Rules

Long story short, Zadina being as young as he is allowed him to play in Grand Rapids without it counting as a professional season, and he was held below the 10 game threshold. Smith being drafted two years prior is the undoing for his status. His first AHL started the clock, as I understand it.

So it is an age thing. Thanks for the link.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So it is an age thing. Thanks for the link.

It's an age thing; disguised as a accrued professional season thing. Zadina has more professional experience than Smith does, but because his experience started as a teenager and not a 20 year old, he gets a pass.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Too early for me to say GS should be protected.
Some depends on how he does back in GR. A lot depends how he consistently looks if he returns to Detroit.

F
Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, Rasmusen
-- Those are my easy 5.
Svechnikov, Erne, Smith, Hirose and maybe Glendening, maybe Namestnkov are in the mix for the other two.
I depends a lot on how these players do from here on in. I'm predisposed to locking up Svech and Smith, but if Svech doesn't do anything and if Smith goes to GR and scores at a 12-goal pace, maybe you consider something else. If Erne can find a bit of goal scoring to go with the way he's playing, I think I look at protecting him. Namest would need to take his game up a level for me. I don't think I protect Glendening, but honestly, if he's not traded, this team could.

Reactions: SirloinUB

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Too early for me to say GS should be protected.
Some depends on how he does back in GR. A lot depends how he consistently looks if he returns to Detroit.

F
Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, Rasmusen
-- Those are my easy 5.
Svechnikov, Erne, Smith, Hirose and maybe Glendening, maybe Namestnkov are in the mix for the other two.
I depends a lot on how these players do from here on in. I'm predisposed to locking up Svech and Smith, but if Svech doesn't do anything and if Smith goes to GR and scores at a 12-goal pace, maybe you consider something else. If Erne can find a bit of goal scoring to go with the way he's playing, I think I look at protecting him. Namest would need to take his game up a level for me. I don't think I protect Glendening, but honestly, if he's not traded, this team could.

Smith is like a year and a half younger than any of those other guys which I think is worth taking into account

kinda enough to make me lean towards protecting him by itself

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Smith is like a year and a half younger than any of those other guys which I think is worth taking into account

kinda enough to make me lean towards protecting him by itself

My hope for smith was that he'd go to the AHL, play 40 games and go 15-15-30, and get called up to Detroit for the rest of the year.
COVID made that impossible.
But I still want to see that improvement. He went from .2 to .5 points per game last year in GR.
I'd like to go to .75 or so.
Come back to Detroit and show well.
If he does, yep, protect him.
If he regresses in GR and then doesn't look so hot in another callup... well, then what happens if Svech looks good and Erne continues to be a 4th line beast?
Or what happens if Hirose comes up and gets 15 points in 22 games or something.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

To be fair, they could protect more players back then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad