Prospect Info: #46 Givani Smith, LW, Guelph (OHL)

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
That's not the question. Question is that will you protect both Smith and Svechnikov before Namestnikov.

Depends who you are asking. I think Namestnikov will be protected. The one good thing about being this bad, is I really don't care who we lose in the expansion draft. I kinda have a feeling it'll be Lindstrom to be honest. I don't think Seattle will see anything in Svech.

I still think Svech to Carolina makes sense. Let him play with Andrei, and maybe Evgeny figures it out and becomes a contributing 3rd liner or something.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You don't protect 4th line forwards. If he's selected good on him.
Makes more sense to protect a 4th line forward than protecting waiver fodder. Svech has already cleared once.

Wings don't have anyone else to protect, lol. Go look at the roster before you start throwing out smart ass comments.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Wings lost Doug Brown in the 98 Expansion Draft, Norm Maracle in 99, Stacy Roest and Daryl Laplante in 2000. (I'm really just typing this out and posting it so that I'll remember it better).

And then off the top of my head I remember the Wings lost Nosek in 2017.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Wings lost Doug Brown in the 98 Expansion Draft, Norm Maracle in 99, Stacy Roest and Daryl Laplante in 2000. (I'm really just typing this out and posting it so that I'll remember it better).

And then off the top of my head I remember the Wings lost Nosek in 2017.
They've been tweaking the expansion draft rules to make it easier for the expansion teams to compete. Seattle is fortunate that they kept the same rules despite LVGK going to the Finals. I'm pretty sure they'll be more competitive than the Wings next season, especially if Kuch comes back, then TBL has to give away players.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
In 1997 the protected list ahead of McCarty would have almost been a HoF ballot list. A 24 yr old McCarty is definitely on the 2021 Wings protected list.

And frankly, exposing D-mac in 1997 might have led to a riot. The guy beat up Turtle boy and scored the cup winning goal, and had just had what would be the best season of his career. Exposing him a fortnight after might not have gone down well ;-)

Particularly as there were probably only 4 forwards clearly better than him in terms of current play and potential. Feds, Yzrman, Shanny, Kozlov. We may in hindsight rate Larionov, Maltby & Draper higher, but at that time McCarty was one of the best of the rest for the wings

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
And frankly, exposing D-mac in 1997 might have led to a riot. The guy beat up Turtle boy and scored the cup winning goal, and had just had what would be the best season of his career. Exposing him a fortnight after might not have gone down well ;-)

Particularly as there were probably only 4 forwards clearly better than him in terms of current play and potential. Feds, Yzrman, Shanny, Kozlov. We may in hindsight rate Larionov, Maltby & Draper higher, but at that time McCarty was one of the best of the rest for the wings

Exactly this.

Darren McCarty had good hands and a solid work ethic. He probably would have had multiple 20+ goal seasons if not for the hard partying lifestyle that ended up as his undoing.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Exactly this.

Darren McCarty had good hands and a solid work ethic. He probably would have had multiple 20+ goal seasons if not for the hard partying lifestyle that ended up as his undoing.

To be fair, his game also dropped off a bit after he had that hernia/groin surgery that caused him to miss most of 99-00. IIRC, it was the same type of thing that ended up hampering Kocur and Gilchrist.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
To be fair, his game also dropped off a bit after he had that hernia/groin surgery that caused him to miss most of 99-00. IIRC, it was the same type of thing that ended up hampering Kocur and Gilchrist.

Double whammy. The guy was hitting the sauce pretty hard and not training as much as he did before the 1997 cup. He's been on a few podcasts and in some pretty interesting interviews. He always credits himself and his lifestyle for why he didn't have a better and longer career.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think Darren McCarty's offensive capability is a bit underrated. The wings didn't have an enforcer during a time when other team's still had enforcers so McCarty filled that gap. So I think he played kind of a pseudo enforcer while being a grinder bottom 6 role. I think he could have been in a lot of team's top 6 lineups as a power forward and put up 20 goal seasons.

As for expansion a lot of people burned a protection slot on Dekeyser. I couldn't understand why but at least that ship has sailed now and maybe we can protect Lidstrom too? I don't know like others said it probably doesn't matter who we lose. I doubt it will be anyone notable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad