Prospect Info: #46 Givani Smith, LW, Guelph (OHL)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pronman on Smith

85. Givani Smith, LW, Guelph (OHL)
DOB: 2/28/98 | Ht: 6-2 | Wt: 204
GP: 65 | G: 23 | A: 19

Smith's counting numbers might not jump off the screen to anyone who does a quick Google search, but keep in mind, he was a top player on one of the worst OHL teams. Smith is one of the most physical players in the draft. He wins most of the one-on-one battles he engages in and can fight back pucks from opponent's possession as well as nearly any junior player. He shows a solid pair of mitts too, being able to generate some space for himself with the puck. Neither his speed nor his puck skills are amazing, but he'll be able to carry himself in those areas with pros. His discipline is a major issue, as you often hear scouts describe him as "reckless" and a "headache" in terms of the penalties he takes. His overall decision-making could stand to be a lot better. However, he does find a way to agitate opponents quite well.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/top-100-prospects-2016-nhl-draft/story?id=39091742

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So he is going to be the Griffin's future PIM leader, and headache to the coach with dumb penalties,...... GREAT!

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Scary that their first two picks are labeled as boom or bust, isn't it?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Would love someone like Simmonds on the team. Another late riser, here. Was kind of hoping for Raddysh, but I don't mind this pick.

Seider Town

Aug 9, 2014
USA
Last name is Smith and takes dumb penalties?

Don't we already have one of those?

JK, kind of excited about this pick. Never hurts to add some grit, could be a nice bottom 6 line of Bertuzzi, Glendening, Smith in a couple years. Grind line 2.0?

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I kind of like this pick. Don't know too much about him, but I see some goal scoring abilities mixed with toughness. He could potentially become a solid 2/3 line Winger. His numbers seem low, but thats because he played on a brutal team.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Remember what happened to AVS after Forsberg and Sakic retired we're going to have same kind of team

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Remember what happened to AVS after Forsberg and Sakic retired we're going to have same kind of team

We're shaping up to have a team with a mean streak from our outter core players. If we can add solid offense talent to that I have no issue with that identity. We'll be fun to watch.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Not the most exciting pick in the world. Hope he proves me wrong and doesn't just become a bottom 6er.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
I only got to attend one Greyhound game this past season and it was against Guelph. The kid immediately stood out to me as one of those players you hate on the other team. Can't comment much as it was one game months ago but I do remember thinking, "Somebody destroy that ****ing guy!"

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I only got to attend one Greyhound game this past season and it was against Guelph. The kid immediately stood out to me as one of those players you hate on the other team. Can't comment much as it was one game months ago but I do remember thinking, "Somebody destroy that ****ing guy!"

I am a Storm STH and see a few road games each year as well, don't worry, many opposing fans had that same reaction.

I love this pick. He is definitely a guy that plays the throwback power forward style who can really get under guys skin. During his rookie year in the OHL he actually played on a line with Tyler Bertuzzi for a while and it drove teams mad playing against those two. Would love to see it happen in the pros as well down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->