Post-Game Talk: #45 | Stars at Flyers | January 18, 2024 | Flyers win 5-1

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If walker gets you a #1 or a #2 and #3 you have to move him. No doubt. Laughton also.
There was supposedly a 1 and 2 on the table for Laughton at the draft and he wasn't moved. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. If you're pushing culture and players who want to be here as hard as this team is, and competition and effort and energy and these guys fight and battle every night, and never stop and never quit, and they do everything they're asked, they have to be rewarded. You don't have to buy a big ticket guy, or anyone really, but you're president and GM, that has to matter. You can worry about leveraging assets in the off-season.

Although, they pushed that they were rebuilding and lied about that. But that's got more to do with messaging to consumers.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
There was supposedly a 1 and 2 on the table for Laughton at the draft and he wasn't moved. You don't have to do anything you don't want to. If you're pushing culture and players who want to be here as hard as this team is, and competition and effort and energy and these guys fight and battle every night, and never stop and never quit, and they do everything they're asked, they have to be rewarded. You don't have to buy a big ticket guy, or anyone really, but you're president and GM, that has to matter. You can worry about leveraging assets in the off-season.

Although, they pushed that they were rebuilding and lied about that. But that's got more to do with messaging to consumers.
Not sure they lied. Their young players are performing and buying in. if you win games because of your young core players especially goaltending how is that a lie? They haven’t sold high picks for older players. That would become a lie.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure they lied. Their young players are performing and buying in. if you win games because of your young core players especially goaltending how is that a lie? They haven’t sold high picks for older players. That would become a lie.
When you rebuild, you're turning your core group over into a new one that you're hoping can be contenders when they are ages 24-28 when a lot of them are in their second contracts. That didn't happen.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
If walker gets you a #1 or a #2 and #3 you have to move him. No doubt. Laughton also.
If it’s a #1 I’d consider, but if that’s not on the table I’m resigning him. This is a guy that people thought could get to this level and then had some injury issues and has now gotten through them and is performing. If they can resign him to a reasonable 4 year deal, I’d love to keep him.

Im all for whatever is best for the long-term future of this team, but it’s possible that resigning him is exactly that.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
When you rebuild, you're turning your core group over into a new one that you're hoping can be contenders when they are ages 24-28 when a lot of them are in their second contracts. That didn't happen.
Their core group is young. So you are saying hart, sanheim, tk, Tippett, farabee etc should have been moved? Yes on Laughton.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I suppose I need to honour him for contributing, so cheers to finding another Lambo, Cambo.

z2ztHqy.gif

Another performance where, in a different time, this would have been a measuring stick game where I would have left feeling like the Flyers have something cooking. Totally obliterated a team with their eyes on a deep playoff run, though the Stars were missing one of the league's unheralded gems in Heiskanen. It's tough to get a true reading on a team when they're in the middle of a heater, but they're rolling over some good teams right now... and closing games in regulation from time to time.

Frost is the middle six centre this team should be happy to have for years to come. Maybe the face to face with Torts has helped him come around to believing Frost is a valuable piece, after all. I sure hope so.

Owen Tippett unleashed is a sight to behold. There are some similarities in his inconsistencies to TK in his first few years. If Tippett could ever harness his ability and improve his decision making with the puck... I don't know where that ceiling is.

Team defense and goaltending are legitimate strengths. Don't think I have ever thought that at the same time, outside of maybe the Cechmanek years... in the regular season, anyway. I would still prefer for them to ship out Seeler/Walker/Risto/Staal, but it's not happening if the Flyers keep winning. If they do remain in contention, I'll give Briere a pass as long as they're not net down future assets after the deadline. It's hard to shake a room up if you're within reach of the top spot in the division.

It's a weird year, possibly detrimental to the future of the franchise ( :laugh: ) but, as the Eagles have proven in 2023/24, there's plenty of time for the wheels to come off. :sarcasm:

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
If it’s a #1 I’d consider, but if that’s not on the table I’m resigning him. This is a guy that people thought could get to this level and then had some injury issues and has now gotten through them and is performing. If they can resign him to a reasonable 4 year deal, I’d love to keep him.

Im all for whatever is best for the long-term future of this team, but it’s possible that resigning him is exactly that.
Then andrae, attard, bonk?

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh

it would have to be a really really reasonable price...other wise he is looking at probably at least a 2 million raise..not sure we need another near 5 million dollar d-man

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Their core group is young. So you are saying hart, sanheim, tk, Tippett, farabee etc should have been moved? Yes on Laughton.
If you’re rebuilding, you deconstruct what you have and remove it and then build on what you tore down. If you rebuild a house, you don’t replace the siding, hire an exterminator to get rid of the bugs, turn an office into a kids bedroom, open a bank account to save for a car, and then do nothing to the actual structure of the house and say you rebuilt it.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
If you’re rebuilding, you deconstruct what you have and remove it and then build on what you tore down. If you rebuild a house, you don’t replace the siding, hire an exterminator to get rid of the bugs, turn an office into a kids bedroom, open a bank account to save for a car, and then do nothing to the actual structure of the house and say you rebuilt it.
I guess. But if you trade all those young core players to start over who actually dresses?

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
So you are saying you would have traded the 6 or 7 players I listed for picks?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess. But if you trade all those young core players to start over who actually dresses?

There's always guys around who can play and insulate younger players when they move up and hope can raise their own trade value.

So you are saying you would have traded the 6 or 7 players I listed for picks?
I definitely would've moved Laughton for the rumored price. They tried to move Sanheim, but the market was cold. They would've had Hart available - and look around the league at how many good teams are being sunk by bad goaltending - if not for the Team Canada thing (we still don't know what happens there, they may not still be able to re-sign him in the off-season). Apparently they had Danny thinking on Konecny, but he did not want to move him. Farabee at one point was rumored to be not happy and if he actually asked for a trade likely would have been moved.

You still had guys like Couturier, Atkinson, Seeler (lol), Risto. Made the trade that netted you Walker. Allison could've filled time, looks like that guy is completely off the radar. He's someone I'd see if they could move in a buying scenario as he needs a new opportunity.

Reactions: Curufinwe

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I know we have trauma from the past few years, and I have had some “talk to me in a month” moments of doubt, but this place should be far happier.

This is a fun hockey team with personality that plays for eachother. Torts deserves a ton of praise for what is happening right now. The team has bought in. Frost sharing that the group wanted to make this their statement game after going 3-0 on their road trip indicative of where this group is at.

We deserve it.

I still am saying talk to me in a month

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I don't know if they are that good or this sustainable...maybe...maybe not. But I do believe they seem to have a great young core, lets say 26 or younger, to really build something special. Thinking add Michkov(he should have immediate impact) and ice solid third and fourth lines and could have a great little run. I can't see Couterier being a part of that just for health reasons, the only guy I think might be tough to replace. So...sell smartly this year, and next year commit to a plan. I still want them in playoffs....just because. This coach could easily derail all this though with his dinosaur mentality. And Briere....just don't know if he can pull it all together. Lets hope.
Imagine Poehling centering Lycksell and Tuomaala instead of Deslauriers and Hathaway in the playoffs. There is your "pure energy" 4th line.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany

I get the culture and attitude thing but with Drysdale and (unfortunately) Ristolainen you have to move Walker. His value will never be higher. You have also Zamula, Andrae, Attard & Ginning waiting. Bonk is doing well on a stacked London Knights club but he still needs grow.

Team is doing great right now but the Flyers are at least 2 years and a 1C/top2 D away from contending. I'll take the wins and positive atmosphere but Briere needs to be sensible in his decisions. Amass more vauluable picks and take the team to the next level. There is not a single reason why Shaw can't teach the same things to the young guys in Lehigh Valley.

I could live with a Seeler resigning but would rather see him moved too.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Hry, how did Jamie looked on this one? Albeit perhaps not the best game to judge as it seems you walked all over the Stars. :laugh:

As a Ducks fan I thought that he'd be playing more mins for you guys already

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think Walker and Laughton need to move. Might land 3 picks in top 3 rounds. Cates for Laughton. Drysdale for walker. And Andrae and Attard move to 7/8.

Still 2 months. That’s a good thing.
The way the team's playing this year I think you can't trade anyone. Would send a terrible message to the players who've worked so hard for this. Laughton's wearing an A for a reason and Walker's been a huge factor as well.

Good thing is that we don't really have to buy either unless someone gets hurt because we have the depth to compete in the playoffs.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
They've had days where they're off, or perhaps played down to competition, but they're blowing away teams that expect to be in the Finals, other than the Oilers. Someone talked about the other day about playing actual good teams, but they've been beating them, some of them handily. They ran Colorado, Vancouver, and Winnipeg out of their own buildings. Dallas has been a perennial contender for a few years, including this one, and the Flyers just outshot them by almost 30. Unless the injuries show up and slow them down, they have yet to give a reason that they're not in it to win it.

If we get to the deadline and they're still 2nd in the division, they cannot penalize the players who have succeeded to this degree by subtracting from the room. It's a league that holds the chemistry in there sacred. Walker and Seeler will have to stay unless someone else offers something stupid, but we've already seen that even that isn't enough to compel Briere. Maybe they add a depth forward and look for a better third goalie.
Boston won most games ever in the regular season last year if iam not mistake. How that went?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad