Post-Game Talk: #45 | Stars at Flyers | January 18, 2024 | Flyers win 5-1

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
The NHL Network makes me HATE the Leafs so bad. Slobbering over the "big boys". Constantly Leafs Leafs Oilers Leafs Oilers Leafs Bruins Leafs Leafs Oilers F off. NHL Tonight is like a fantasy hockey show.

Reactions: BernieParent

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
It seems like the post-game threads are much shorter after a win. I guess they're on hold with WIP waiting to complain about Jalen Hurts.

I'm terrified to believe, but you have to give them a hat tip at some point.

They lack the high end power, but are playing well. Don't trade Hart or Ersson. That's a true strength of the team, even though it would help other areas. I know its probably smart, and a luxury but I'd love to keep both guys if at all possible.

Hart's next contract might prevent that.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yes, that is the current goal song.

"Feel the Shake" was so bad it was good but "This Girl" or is it "That Girl" -- how soon we forger -- was just apocalyptic.

All those other things were stupid. This is the correct one, the obvious choice, and always has been. You and I are extra smart and wise, obviously, but even the idiots can see that.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Nothing makes sense anymore.
Indeed....what a complete surprise this team is this year....we all figured we were a lock for a bottom 5 finish and rightly so.....honestly I don't understand how we are performing so well....love our Goalies and our D though.....if this keeps up, it will make for an interesting trade deadline.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I don't know if they are that good or this sustainable...maybe...maybe not. But I do believe they seem to have a great young core, lets say 26 or younger, to really build something special. Thinking add Michkov(he should have immediate impact) and ice solid third and fourth lines and could have a great little run. I can't see Couterier being a part of that just for health reasons, the only guy I think might be tough to replace. So...sell smartly this year, and next year commit to a plan. I still want them in playoffs....just because. This coach could easily derail all this though with his dinosaur mentality. And Briere....just don't know if he can pull it all together. Lets hope.
They've had days where they're off, or perhaps played down to competition, but they're blowing away teams that expect to be in the Finals, other than the Oilers. Someone talked about the other day about playing actual good teams, but they've been beating them, some of them handily. They ran Colorado, Vancouver, and Winnipeg out of their own buildings. Dallas has been a perennial contender for a few years, including this one, and the Flyers just outshot them by almost 30. Unless the injuries show up and slow them down, they have yet to give a reason that they're not in it to win it.

If we get to the deadline and they're still 2nd in the division, they cannot penalize the players who have succeeded to this degree by subtracting from the room. It's a league that holds the chemistry in there sacred. Walker and Seeler will have to stay unless someone else offers something stupid, but we've already seen that even that isn't enough to compel Briere. Maybe they add a depth forward and look for a better third goalie.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Indeed....what a complete surprise this team is this year....we all figured we were a lock for a bottom 5 finish and rightly so.....honestly I don't understand how we are performing so well....love our Goalies and our D though.....if this keeps up, it will make for an interesting trade deadline.

If it keeps up, do you sell anyone? I wouldn't buy of course, but the message to the guys is kind of a tough one to send.

I don't buy this strategy of team building, I think it's not really a path to success but what can we do as fans? They are committed to it - and I'll admit its working so far.

Who knows.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
If it keeps up, do you sell anyone? I wouldn't buy of course, but the message to the guys is kind of a tough one to send.

I don't buy this strategy of team building, I think it's not really a path to success but what can we do as fans? They are committed to it - and I'll admit its working so far.

Who knows.
That is what I was thinking if anything...do we sell....Walker or Seeler for example....perhaps we can now with the addition of Drysdale back there but yeah.....some difficult choices may have to be made come deadline day.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
They've had days where they're off, or perhaps played down to competition, but they're blowing away teams that expect to be in the Finals, other than the Oilers. Someone talked about the other day about playing actual good teams, but they've been beating them, some of them handily. They ran Colorado, Vancouver, and Winnipeg out of their own buildings. Dallas has been a perennial contender for a few years, including this one, and the Flyers just outshot them by almost 30. Unless the injuries show up and slow them down, they have yet to give a reason that they're not in it to win it.

If we get to the deadline and they're still 2nd in the division, they cannot penalize the players who have succeeded to this degree by subtracting from the room. It's a league that holds the chemistry in there sacred. Walker and Seeler will have to stay unless someone else offers something stupid, but we've already seen that even that isn't enough to compel Briere. Maybe they add a depth forward and look for a better third goalie.
If walker gets you a #1 or a #2 and #3 you have to move him. No doubt. Laughton also.

Reactions: Devonator

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Sanheim becoming an alpha is a big component.

The other big one imo is, shockingly, depth. Aside from Deslauriers (and Atkinson for a long stretch), every forward is a net contributor. Hathaway, Laughton, and Poehling are solid guys to fill out your lineup, and they’re doing their jobs. And the rest of the forwards are youthful guys with potential and playing with tons of energy.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018

Who knows.
I think Walker and Laughton need to move. Might land 3 picks in top 3 rounds. Cates for Laughton. Drysdale for walker. And Andrae and Attard move to 7/8.

That is what I was thinking if anything...do we sell....Walker or Seeler for example....perhaps we can now with the addition of Drysdale back there but yeah.....some difficult choices may have to be made come deadline day.
Still 2 months. That’s a good thing.

Reactions: Devonator

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
I'm terrified to believe, but you have to give them a hat tip at some point.

They lack the high end power, but are playing well. Don't trade Hart or Ersson. That's a true strength of the team, even though it would help other areas. I know its probably smart, and a luxury but I'd love to keep both guys if at all possible.

Hart's next contract might prevent that.
I’ve said the same thing all year, but both Konecny and Tippett are starting to look like they actually might have the ability to actually reach that elite level. If one or both of them do, it’s a game changer.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

It is a far different season this season to last, but the Flyers teetered at ,500 against the west even last year. If they can play with the Bruins and Rangers, maybe the Lightning and Leafs, and the games approaching that should be another step towards the ultimate goal.

Reactions: GKJ

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Sanheim becoming an alpha is a big component.

The other big one imo is, shockingly, depth. Aside from Deslauriers (and Atkinson for a long stretch), every forward is a net contributor. Hathaway, Laughton, and Poehling are solid guys to fill out your lineup, and they’re doing their jobs. And the rest of the forwards are youthful guys with potential and playing with tons of energy.
That should be the 4th line. And probably a good one come playoff time. A big IF there. But all kill penalties. A bonus.

HeyHanrahan

Sep 20, 2018
PA
That was fun. The more this team exceeds expectations, the harder it will be for Brierre come trade deadline. And that’s a good thing. Inevitable injuries aside, we should finally be dealing from a position of strength. Focus on the future, but enjoy the ride. Got to love the growth of the team and most of the players.

Reactions: Jettany

FanForLife

Oct 27, 2018
Winnipeg

I guess...but still lean towards selling if you can get something good. Absolutely, positively...DO NOT BUY!!!!!!

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
It seems like the post-game threads are much shorter after a win. I guess they're on hold with WIP waiting to complain about Jalen Hurts.
Oh yeah totally, so mich shorter! Good job finding a way to bring some negativity in!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240118_220727_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240118_220727_Chrome.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 2

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Laughton isnt getting removed from the mix of chemistry at the deadline if they keep gelling.

I have a hard time seeing them move him. The organization loves Laughton.

It is what it is at this point. Let the team decide what happens with their play. If they tank to the end like the Jets of last season season then more moves will be made.

If they keep pace then perhaps you deal Walker, and roll on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad