GDT: #45 FLYERS 2 at Devils 3, Saturday, Jan. 12, 2019, 1:00 pm ET

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah. His transition is not as good as Hakstol's and the constant dumping is grating to me but the fact that players are trying to set up real chances instead of living on the perimeter is far more watchable. So is player usage with a semblance of logic.
The best thing about him is we know he's gone after this year, so all his bullshit is more tolerable.

He also actually communicates with the players, uses the youth more, and is much quicker to realize his mistakes with the lineups/pairs.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I think fans can be excused for getting excited about Patrick. As Flyers fans we've rarely had picks at the top of the draft. The only real elite top 5 prospect we've had was Peter Forsberg. Patrick is obviously an NHL caliber player and he has significant upside, but the expectations were way too high.

Many many people on this board thought Patrick could be an elite player this season; that he'd be better than Coots or Tavares; one person notably said he was just behind McDavid and Matthews as elite forwards drafted this decade.

There is a lot of desperation surrounding Patrick. People really want him to play with Giroux or to get PP1 time so he can pad his stats a bit and finish the season with a respectable point total. GB is absolutely right about this -- this is the NHL,you get better opportunities based on what you earn, not your draft slot.

By all accounts Patrick is an extremely confident-to-cocky kid. Maybe the game has just come to easy for him and he was able to rely on his physical abilities instead of really working on his game.

It's going to take some time. The best hope now is that he'll be like Ryan Johansen, who struggled his first few years before developing into a solid top 6 center.
BSchenn looked good in the AHL then took 3ish years to get it together in the NHL. Patrick has shown alot last season...and has moments. Eventually, I think he will slot in fine.

This team is a dumpster fire right now...so I'm just giving him a pass.

Reactions: renberg

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
BSchenn looked good in the AHL then took 3ish years to get it together in the NHL. Patrick has shown alot last season...and has moments. Eventually, I think he will slot in fine.

This team is a dumpster fire right now...so I'm just giving him a pass.

Eventually I think he will be "fine" too. But fine is not in the Taveras/Couturier class. Don't force him into a spot where he has to produce big numbers or the team will fail. Be patient and let him find his game. And if we end up with an Adam Henrique in two years that's an above-average result. We have Giroux, Couturier and Frost, there's no need to expect 50 points out of him in the immediate future.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Eventually I think he will be "fine" too. But fine is not in the Taveras/Couturier class. Don't force him into a spot where he has to produce big numbers or the team will fail. Be patient and let him find his game. And if we end up with an Adam Henrique in two years that's an above-average result. We have Giroux, Couturier and Frost, there's no need to expect 50 points out of him in the immediate future.
eventually...I wouldn't be surprised if he is a consistent 50-70 pt 2nd line center. I think he will be every bit as good as Couturier.

This team is just a trainwreck this year.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
The biggest thing today with NP is that he couldn't stay on his damn feet. At LEAST 5 times he was down on the ice and I think that's conservative. Despite that, and even though it's not the prettiest, he did set up 4-5 really solid chances today.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Even then, with more judicious line combinations, he probably could do that anyway. Hell, next year, with 1 lucky bounce and a single FA, we could run this:

Giroux-Couturier-Stone/Panarin
van Riemsdyk-Hughes-Voracek
Lindblom-Patrick-Konecny
Laughton-Frost-Aube-Kubel
Weiste of Space

Provorov-Gostisbehere
Sanheim-Myers
Morin-Gudas
Hagg

Hart
Elliott

Send the Patrick line out against a less defensively talented group, and they pot a ton of points.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I haven't watched many Flyers games this year but watching yesterdays game trying to key on certain elements the Flyers look like the worst passing team ever to take the ice , missed passes, choppy play almost looks like it's being made up as they go along, clearly the fish is rotten from the head.

Pardon if I vent on this, Can someone, anyone with an open slapper please put the puck on net at times? or don't shoot at all! Man it was frustrating watching shot after shot hit the boards or glass, just brutal!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I haven't watched many Flyers games this year but watching yesterdays game trying to key on certain elements the Flyers look like the worst passing team ever to take the ice , missed passes, choppy play almost looks like it's being made up as they go along, clearly the fish is rotten from the head.

Pardon if I vent on this, Can someone, anyone with an open slapper please put the puck on net at times? or don't shoot at all! Man it was frustrating watching shot after shot hit the boards or glass, just brutal!

You ain't kidding. The team doesn't pass well as a whole and they don't shoot that well either. It's painful. I think a lot of the passing issues have to do with how far apart they are. They need to close that gap and move up in more unison with shorter quicker passing, but what do I know?

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA

Couturier wasn't Couturier until last year. He was a great defensive forward with flashes of offense. Not more, not less.

John Tavares came into the league at 19 and started off pretty decent. It was his 3rd year he took off, but he has never reached the levels he was hyped to be. He's not even as good as Giroux and he was touted as the next generational player akin to Crosby.

Development isn't linear. Maybe Patrick busts, maybe not. Hischier was drafted #1 and is a speed player, who always tend to 'adapt' faster but they also tend to flame out faster because speed is one of the first things to go. However, he's not exactly been lighting the lamp on fire per the #3 and #4 picks, so let's wait a year or two. We don't have a choice, anyway.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
You ain't kidding. The team doesn't pass well as a whole and they don't shoot that well either. It's painful. I think a lot of the passing issues have to do with how far apart they are. They need to close that gap and move up in more unison with shorter quicker passing, but what do I know?
They sure seem to make it hard on themselves getting out of the D zone. You leave Hagger & Co. back there to fend for themselves, you're asking for it.
I would love to see 5 skaters, one brain, working as a unit with flow and adaptation.
Looks more like, "I go here on the breakout, it's what I do".

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania
The roadblock is the draft lottery, not finishing low enough.

I'm aware of the lottery. This team isn't making the playoffs. Might as well finish with the worst record so they have the best shot at getting the first pick.

I'd trade Voracek, Simmonds and Gudas for draft picks. I'd replace them with Vorobyev, Aube-Kubel and Myers. At least get a look at some of the kids.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They sure seem to make it hard on themselves getting out of the D zone. You leave Hagger & Co. back there to fend for themselves, you're asking for it.
I would love to see 5 skaters, one brain, working as a unit with flow and adaptation.
Looks more like, "I go here on the breakout, it's what I do".
Focus on Hagg all you want, but no one turns it over more than Ghost and Provorov, who are paid to be the top 2 defensemen and lead the D in minutes. Sanheim is right there with them now that he's playing on the first pair and taken over 2nd in minutes.

Reactions: renberg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm aware of the lottery. This team isn't making the playoffs. Might as well finish with the worst record so they have the best shot at getting the first pick.

I'd trade Voracek, Simmonds and Gudas for draft picks. I'd replace them with Vorobyev, Aube-Kubel and Myers. At least get a look at some of the kids.

Trading Jake for draft picks makes the team worse, not better. No winger prospect in our system can replace his production any time soom.

Only way he is moved is in a hockey trade. Player for Player(s) not Player for Futures.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Focus on Hagg all you want, but no one turns it over more than Ghost and Provorov, who are paid to be the top 2 defensemen and lead the D in minutes. Sanheim is right there with them now that he's playing on the first pair and taken over 2nd in minutes.

Top defensemen turn it over more than plugs. Stop the presses.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Top defensemen turn it over more than plugs. Stop the presses.
I'd say Provorov and Ghost have turned it over more than most top defensemen, while providing decidedly less offensive production this season than expected from top defensemen. I don't see the point in instead fixating on the turnovers of a defenseman who makes $1M and has at least played decently for a $1M defenseman.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Trading Jake for draft picks makes the team worse, not better. No winger prospect in our system can replace his production any time soom.

Only way he is moved is in a hockey trade. Player for Player(s) not Player for Futures.
I know making that type of trade won't be easy but if there's an opportunity that makes sense, I'd do it.
Trading Voracek would be the type of shakeup move this team may need.

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania

"Trading Jake for draft picks makes the team worse, not better." No kidding. That's my point. This team isn't making the playoffs this season. Might as well tank it and hope for the first or second pick in the draft. Trade Voracek now while his value is still high. He'd fetch a very nice return. Plus, you clear some cap space and have some extra money available to sign a notable free agent next off-season. Just my opinion. You don't have to agree.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
"Trading Jake for draft picks makes the team worse, not better." No kidding. That's my point. This team isn't making the playoffs this season. Might as well tank it and hope for the first or second pick in the draft. Trade Voracek now while his value is still high. He'd fetch a very nice return. Plus, you clear some cap space and have some extra money available to sign a notable free agent next off-season. Just my opinion. You don't have to agree.

Ok and why are we making ourselves worse for next season and the one after that for more draft picks?

We are already adding a top 10 pick at worse with our own pick.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The odds of the Flyers getting any real noteworthy value for Voracek isn’t high. His contract is too big. While they very well might pick in the top ten this year odds are they won’t again next season unless you ship out Giroux as well & commit to a complete tear down & hedge on accumulating high picks for the short term like Toronto did years ago.

Otherwise you’re likely just going to end up like Buffalo who sold off ROR for basically nothing that will come close to the player he is now or down the line. I much rather have ROR on that team right now than Thompson, Sobotka, & that 2020 first rounder. They were even luckily bailed out with Berglund walking away from that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad