Prospect Info: 43rd Overall Dylan Samberg

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
I'd agree about Beaulieu. I thought he had his best game in a long while against the Oilers uon Tuesday - but no love for the guy. People like the flash and promise of young players, but in reality, guys like Beaulieu and Forbort can stabilize goals against, and with our goaltending and forward group, that is bad news for the NHL.

I think the one thing that hurts Beau is that he tends to have some 'oh shit' moments, and they are not subtle moments like getting turned or misssing an assignment. They are of the magnificiently bad variety, and that what tends to stick with fans. If he could ever cut that out of his game he would be a very desirable staple on any D corps.

Kind of reminds me of Bogosian in that respect. He'd play well for long stretches of games or in game, and then do something like trip over himself, propelling the puck into our own slot from behind the net right to an opposition forward.

You bring up some good points & yes, Beaulieu is playing more consistent on the positive side. Love this guy for hisstand up to oppositoon A-holes picking on our team. I never realized before last year how astute a fighter he is.
Throws a decent one-two while holding combaraht at bay pretty strongly. Go Bo- luu Go.

Reactions: hn777 and Jet

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
I think Beaulieu is good on the bottom pairing. I am more concerned with Forbort on the 2nd pairing and am really hoping Samberg (or Heinola) can fill that role long term, and bump Forbort down.

I hear you on all this but you have to be happy with Forbort's overall contributions so far. He has helped with production and is steadily keeping his area of our zone under wraps fof the most part. He is doing better than I ever remember him on LAK playing beside Doughty.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I get a little worried about a prospect as old as Samberg already is and the lack of opportunity he may FEEL he isn't getting with us. Obviously this year is weird and normally he would have played lots in the AHL. With just sitting and not playing is that going to affect his impression on the team and organization and will it make signing his next contract more difficult? Seems like a string of injuries is the only thing that will get him in the lineup?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I get a little worried about a prospect as old as Samberg already is and the lack of opportunity he may FEEL he isn't getting with us. Obviously this year is weird and normally he would have played lots in the AHL. With just sitting and not playing is that going to affect his impression on the team and organization and will it make signing his next contract more difficult? Seems like a string of injuries is the only thing that will get him in the lineup?

He is an RFA who hasn't seen the ice in pro league hockey yet. Relax

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

100% this ^

What is it now, almost 10 months between games for him? Its seems perfectly reasonable when a player is level jumping to the pros with no camp that he would get time in the A.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

I get that but NHL careers are short and getting shorter.
He's not 18 he's 22.
If he spends 2+ years in the minors then he's 24.
I guess if I read everywhere that the Jets had a terrible defense and then I couldn't get a sniff at the lineup it may concern me.

Reactions: Gil Fisher

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I get that but NHL careers are short and getting shorter.
He's not 18 he's 22.
If he spends 2+ years in the minors then he's 24.
I guess if I read everywhere that the Jets had a terrible defense and then I couldn't get a sniff at the lineup it may concern me.

I doubt he spends two years in the minors. Everything I have seen of him to date leads me to believe he could play in the NHL while he is still 22 which gives him all of this season and half of next season.

Reactions: KingBogo

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
There’s just no way that the NHL realized the A would take this long to ramp up... lots of guys not playing - look at Mete in Montreal...

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
I wouldn't be too concerned considering he's buddies and trains in off season with Pionk and his placeholder Forbort. It's a messed up year(s) and I'm sure he's smart enough to acknowledge that

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I think everyone hoping that Beaulieu will start being sat in favour of Heinola and/or Samberg once he's met the requirements to be exposed for the expansion draft will be disappointed, although I'd like to be wrong honestly.

I could see it happening in favour of Poolman though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think everyone hoping that Beaulieu will start being sat in favour of Heinola and/or Samberg once he's met the requirements to be exposed for the expansion draft will be disappointed, although I'd like to be wrong honestly.

Yup, I think Poolman draws in before either Samberg or Heinola, and most likely for Stanley, unfortunately. At this point I'm afraid that Beaulieu is going to be ensconced in the lineup unless he's injured. Maurice seems to like him, for some reason.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

Sat is a strong word. My choice of words would be the start of some form of rotation begins, at least until the AHL season gets underway.

Games needed to meet exposure requirements. Only one of these players needs to hit the bracketed number, although a free agent would also need to be signed.

Beaulieu (1), Niku (24), Nogier (24)

UFA: Forbert (13)

RFA: Stanley (17), Green (24)

They could also resign Poolman who has already met minimum games requirements.
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 8.03.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
In the hours leading up to the Columbus trade I'd been eyeing RD Adam Peeke as the Roslovic compensation.

Peeke played with modest success in his NHL in his draft+3 year. Although a year apart, similar draft position, similar stats, similar usage playing US college hockey. They even played on the same 2018 bronze medal US U20 squad.

Used as a comparable, I doubt we're waiting years for Samberg to step in the line up. He'll get some AHL reps in and in all likelihood see games this season, perhaps even earning the third pairing position he's competing with Stanley & Heinola for.

Reactions: Heldig

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not ideal development conditions for sure but he hasn’t even started his ELC and then will be a RFA without arbitration rights afterwards so he is 5 + years from having any contract control. He will get his shot at some point long before that and will be given his opportunities. I think he is likely mature enough to realize the impact of COVID on playing opportunities and will just keep doing what is asked of him until he gets his chance.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Sat is a strong word. My choice of words would be the start of some form of rotation begins, at least until the AHL season gets underway.

Games needed to meet exposure requirements. Only one of these players needs to hit the bracketed number, although a free agent would also need to be signed.

Beaulieu (1), Niku (24), Nogier (24)

UFA: Forbert (13)

RFA: Stanley (17), Green (24)

They could also resign Poolman who has already met minimum games requirements.
View attachment 394202
Ivan Telegin is still under contract?????

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Mo needs / wants a player to take the PK spot.
That is what might get Beaulieu out of the lineup not an arbitrary expansion draft games played date.

Reactions: hn777

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
An extension for Poolman or Forbort would also solve the problem without giving up an asset. Poolman re-signing is also a likely thing to happen anyway.
I believe that any expiring contract players, that meet the games played criteria need to be extended by a certain date, well before end of season to qualify for XD exposure.
I could be wrong and I don't recall exact date, but I heard some time ago from Elliotte Friedman speaking about XD rules and qualifier points.
Anyone know anything about this and possible date?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Samberg is going to be a big part of our future down the road. Maybe even sooner if opportunity knocks.

The Jets are actually playing with some team toughness again this year. It's not all pretty but I cant see us going away from our grinding style. I dont think Maurice is going to want to sit either Forbort or Beaulieu long. Not with both playing well.

I'm excited to see Samberg whenever he does get a chance though!

Reactions: Huffer

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Yup, I think Poolman draws in before either Samberg or Heinola, and most likely for Stanley, unfortunately. At this point I'm afraid that Beaulieu is going to be ensconced in the lineup unless he's injured. Maurice seems to like him, for some reason.
Agreed. Have the same feelings that barring being injured significantly, I don't see Coach Mo pulling this guy out for a rookie trial anytime soon. Coach's preferences and style of play for lower end players fall right into Beaulieu's favour. And unless Forbort starts to faulter and become listless out there, ( not predicting this) as he is one of our more consistent strong-hold defenders this season and is producing offensively!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad