Prospect Info: 43rd Overall Dylan Samberg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Thank you. But before this season, he did have realistic top pairing upside, right?

Only as an outside chance. He had a good development year this season, so if anything his ceiling would appear higher now.

His offensive game came on a lot later in the season so it may look a lot better in another year. He will still probably project as a 2nd pair D, but with at least some chance of becoming a #2 Dman.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Top level NCAA hockey is also a great development league. Add in going for the unheard of 3 peat and another year of university against that I don't think a year with the Moose at $70,000 holds much appeal. So agreed the compensation for ELC players in the A is grossly inappropriate for the value they bring.
It has nothing to do with $70k and everything to do with quickly turning it into $700k.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't help but be disappointed by this decision.
- The AHL may not be a lot better development league, but it is a better development league.
- Signed now would eliminate any possibility of him going the UFA route
- He would have made the Moose better
- I had some hope of him being in the NHL before the season ended
:(

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That could be a part of it. His family probably ensures he's well taken care of at school. And the school itself -- or at least the athletic department -- probably smooths some bumps. Throw in some hot coeds and another year at school doesn't seem so bad compared to the AHL.

Hmm, let's see... student with part-time job or celebrity with 6-7 figure income? Pretty sure I know which one the hot coeds will choose to date. :nod:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Or you want your kid to wait and be a free agent so he can play in the USA where he's from

Being a pessimist, I'm inclined to agree. All this talk of education being important to him and his family is perhaps their way of foreshadowing what's to come. He'll finish his degree and head for greener pastures. I would wager 100 quatloos on this happening.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Being a pessimist, I'm inclined to agree. All this talk of education being important to him and his family is perhaps their way of foreshadowing what's to come. He'll finish his degree and head for greener pastures. I would wager 100 quatloos on this happening.

Impossible not to get a bit nervous at this point. These kids aren't slaves, they're allowed to do what's best for themselves. Even if it usually hurts the team :laugh:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Anyone else think that Poolman played hardball in the same way? Agreed to sign if he could avoid the Moose for most of his first pro season. If word got out that it worked for him then we could expect the same from other kids.

Slade Logan

Apr 19, 2019
Winnipeg
I kinda hope his College team loses so he can’t use the I want to try for 4 in a row excuse and then just become a UFA. Hopefully he signs after his team is done like Makar did with the Avalanche. If he does sign the Jets can have him for the playoffs next year so Paul can sit him in the Press box instead of playing him.

Reactions: JetsNut

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I can't help but be disappointed by this decision.
- The AHL may not be a lot better development league, but it is a better development league.
- Signed now would eliminate any possibility of him going the UFA route
- He would have made the Moose better
- I had some hope of him being in the NHL before the season ended
:(
I think Mort this is an old way for thinking for many players. Increasingly it appears that NCAA players (mostly Americans) and Europeans (Euro leagues) see alternative paths to the NHL as better fits. When the team that owns their rights see them as ready to make the jump to the NHL they will go, but until then they prefer the other advantages of playing in either the NCAA and getting a degree or playing at home in Europe and earning more money as preferable to grinding it out in the A for a relatively low wage.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I still think he signs this year. I saw nothing in his quotes that was too compelling...and Chevy hadn't even talked to him yet. Seemed like a case of the reporters getting to Samberg before Chevy did.

I'm not betting the house on it, but think it's still in play.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Mort this is an old way for thinking for many players. Increasingly it appears that NCAA players (mostly Americans) and Europeans (Euro leagues) see alternative paths to the NHL as better fits. When the team that owns their rights see them as ready to make the jump to the NHL they will go, but until then they prefer the other advantages of playing in either the NCAA and getting a degree or playing at home in Europe and earning more money as preferable to grinding it out in the A for a relatively low wage.

I understand it from their POV. I listed mine.

I think it is particularly strong for Euro players. Coming to NA is a big move for 19-20 YO. They can make serious money at home too.

The degree is a big thing for lesser players who are not as confident of earning big money as pros or of having long careers. It can be big for some better players too. That's a personal thing.

But my feeling about Samberg's decision remains the same. I don't blame him but I wish he had signed now.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
He falls under “Generation Z”. Be interesting to see some of the characteristics these players possess as far as loyalty to drafting organizations etc.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Anyone else think that Poolman played hardball in the same way? Agreed to sign if he could avoid the Moose for most of his first pro season. If word got out that it worked for him then we could expect the same from other kids.

Copp did too iirc

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don’t think we have to worry yet. Returning to school, I think, is a personal choice. I’m currently in post-secondary, and I’m fairly certain that even if I were an NHL prospect I would try to continue with my degree as long as possible. School might truly be important to him, it is to a lot of people. I don’t think he’s gone yet.

Reactions: Fairview

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It is not just Jets prospects it is pretty much universal for all prospects playing in the NCAA. The vast majority have no desire to play in the AHL. Most will sign with their NHL team if they believe there is a reasonable assumption that they will stay at the NHL level. I don't think teams promise they will stay in the NHL, but rather say we will give you an opportunity to play and you have to show us what you can do.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don’t think we have to worry yet. Returning to school, I think, is a personal choice. I’m currently in post-secondary, and I’m fairly certain that even if I were an NHL prospect I would try to continue with my degree as long as possible. School might truly be important to him, it is to a lot of people. I don’t think he’s gone yet.
I think education is great. He should finish his degree... during the summer.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I am also a Philly fan and we have two kids we have been trying to sign for the last two years now and both have stated they are going back for their senior year , Allison and Laczynski . As hf bloggers we are pissed but the choice is their's and who knows what they are thinking but the preferring College development while getting a degree over the AHL seems to be a growing trend .

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
The signing bonus isn't what it used to be. Signing a max level entry contract nets you that 277,500 signing bonus up front plus your salary. I don't know if nowadays with most of these kids that is enough to get me to leave college. A lot of these guys come from wealthier families, not like the old days when you had the sons of farmers and miners.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The signing bonus isn't what it used to be. Signing a max level entry contract nets you that 277,500 signing bonus up front plus your salary. I don't know if nowadays with most of these kids that is enough to get me to leave college. A lot of these guys come from wealthier families, not like the old days when you had the sons of farmers and miners.

You have a point Joe. Playing high level minor hockey these days is an expensive prospect. A lot of families simply can't afford the investment required to get a kid to the NHL. The CHL pays expenses and the NCAA can be a full ride but getting kids to that level requires a big commitment.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The signing bonus is 92500 when you sign and 92500 in each of the following two years . In the NHL max is 92500 signing bonus and 832500 salary . it is the same now as it was in 2011 when they signed the new CBA . Players salary has doubled in that time but the rookie ELC have not increased one bit . And 70000 salary in AHL on ELC's is basically a joke and ain't helping convincing them either .

Reactions: KingBogo

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The signing bonus is 92500 when you sign and 92500 in each of the following two years . In the NHL max is 92500 signing bonus and 832500 salary . it is the same now as it was in 2011 when they signed the new CBA . Players salary has doubled in that time but the rookie ELC have not increased one bit . And 70000 salary in AHL on ELC's is basically a joke and ain't helping convincing them either .
I've gone off a few times on the low ELC salary in the AHL and agree it is way too low to make many players give up on the NCAA if they don't think they will take a direct step to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad