GDT: #42| New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | January 10th | 7:00 PM | F/W 4-3

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Good game. Pretty much on par with the Carolina game.

Terrible 3rd, it’s those kinds of periods that concern you. Wish Trotz would call a timeout in those situations.

Play a little harder Saturday, that’s 4 out of 4.

Toews was very strong defensively; his pokecheck, speed, and wrister are top 4 NHL quality.

Pelech is black and white.

Barzal is producing, doing what a star player should do.

Reactions: Quicklime

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I got my 1st ever infraction for saying something negative to a leafs fan last week. I have 5 warning points. Not even sure what that means

Lol, I got a warning for praising the Avs top line, but showing ire that Cole took out Nelson 2.5 weeks ago.

And don’t get me started on the playoffs of ‘18. Dont ever call out Jets fans for demeaning other teams. Lol.

Good thing I love ya HF.

Reactions: SteveH124

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Saying “lol” for finding a post funny is inane? I really hope you’re not serious.

A few of us have been meaning to sit down with you and have a talk. Maybe it's like meter maids with a quota. Maybe You weren't parked over the line but why take the day off to fight the ticket . It would cost a day's pay. Forget about dem meter maids they do there thing . You are one of the bestest posters here. Keep on truckin.Keep on posting and Let's Go Islanders....

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
You tried to sneak in an insult by using a praise distraction. Day one of Mod School.

My praise was truth, that top line is one of the best.

My gripe was truth, Ian Cole stuck out his leg to take out Brock.

Truths should not be penalized, unless they are with excessive insult or well untrue lol.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
That third period was unwatchable.
Despite the win and going 2-1, hopefully we have seen the last of what Ithink is the low point in the season. Easily they should have gone 0-3.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Nice to take 2 out of 3 but that’s three lackluster games in a row. Time for some Trotz mental motivation.

Reactions: 12Dog

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Games like this are won in the trenches...trench warfare wins physical games...the Rags thought they were going to come out and trash talk/ Manhandle the Isles...they forgot #17 was back and can play this style for fun. Yet knows when and how to turn it up... Clean shaven with a haircut and all his checks are clean hard and bone rattlers...Rags must have not recognized the Marts after a 2 year absence.....Its good the youth gets to understand playoff hockey and what it takes to be a winner.

The makeup of this team may be the best thing that could of happened to Long Island...I am not seeing any big heads here..as for the youth they are coming around due to coaching and the vets they are surrounded by.(cross fingers)

This team May have what it takes to be a "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner"..Keep the Toi measured you don't want another 2 min shift Johnny in the org.

In all fairness to Johnny after watching his play of late he is a better player now...it just took him way too many years to become that on the Island being pampered with 2 min shifts losing 13 games a year for the Org. Thats what trying to pad stats for a player thats not quite a star yet does.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Lot's of things irked me in this game.

Uncle Leo ends the first period by failing to even gain the red line on a mini 3-on-2 in the last minute. Takes an icing. The team then spend 43 seconds in its own zone doing everything it can to prevent a goal against. Fully unnecessary.

Face-offs won in our zone, then the Dmen cough up the puck to the opposition. Time and time again. Why? Even if you're having trouble, why not just chip the biscuit into the neutral zone?

The Rag$ won soooo many little races to the puck and battles along the boards. They looked dominating in that aspect. But why? We're talking about a team that has been losing left and right and should be so low in its confidence right now - why allow them that extra incentive and energy?

When the pressure is on, why not clog that neutral zone and stand up on the blueline? Why continually allow them march through and set up shop in our end? Other teams seem to have no problem doing that to them.

Anyhow, third game in a row with a 4-3 score and some shoddy play along the way. Still, 4 of 6 possible points. A positive to build on - literally.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I'm new to ice hockey... But in how many sports can you punch a ref and not get penalised ?? What is that about???
That moment captured the essence of hockey perfectly. They had a little scrum, the linesman broke it up and got tagged directly with an errant punch. He was legit pissed, it seemed like everyone took a split second to figure out how to react and then they collectively decided that it was just one of those things. And rightfully so.

The thing is, I’m fine with letting that go but you also have to let the RJ penalty go in the first as well. Either you call it tight or let them play. Just be consistent.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I think we hit an Icarus syndrome with our defense, when we had the least amount of goals allowed in the league, it forced teams to look at our D, since the St Louis game, the opposition has been forechecking our dmen relentlessly and they are treating the puck like a hand grenade... that is something that we didn't see... could be the nationally televised game against Chicago that exposed that
If that's the case, those teams need to spend more money on their pro scouting. :sarcasm:

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
The way I look at it is teams ago through stretches where they look like world-beaters and they go through stretches where they look like crap (unless you’re the Lightning)

The difference between bad teams and good teams is that bad teams will lose the vast majority of games they play like crap and win a bunch of games they look great.

A good team will win a bunch of games when they look like crap and the vast majority of games when they look great

The Isles are definitely in a stretch of games where they’re playing like crap, but they’re still winning a bunch of games. You know that Trotz and his team is analyzing what’s going on and working on improving it

Reactions: Lek

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006

That was awesome. Perfect example of a player's value "on ice" versus "on paper".

Martin hit Buchnenich the first time and said something as he skated away. Buchnevich got up and tried to run Martin and ended up back on the ice, and then Martin stood over him giving him more lip and then a shove while he was down to make his point. Beautiful.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Neal Pionk's play against Bailey on the game-winner was one of the worst coverage jobs by a defender that I've ever seen. And that's saying something. First he was thinking about covering the pass and then decided to cover the man. And he ended up doing neither. Thanks man.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Besides the other stuff, having Martin and Johnston both in the lineup hurt the team in the third. Also fighting the refs didn't help.

How can Nelson look so great one game and inept the next?

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
I get he didn't have the greatest last few games, but JHS needs back in. Without him, this team lacks speed in the middle six, and can't set a tone to a game. The big issue was putting JHS on the top line. Put him with Flip and Uncle Leo and you have a line that establishes a pace to the game.

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
My praise was truth, that top line is one of the best.

My gripe was truth, Ian Cole stuck out his leg to take out Brock.

Truths should not be penalized, unless they are with excessive insult or well untrue lol.
Truths are always penalized on HF. A few years back on an old account I got infracted multiple times for trolling by saying Ryan Miller isn't a top 10 goalie in the league (Can't remember what year it was). He finished bottom 10 in entire league that year.

I also got infracted on this account because a mod on the main board was talking shit and trolling and I responded with facts and stats to prove him wrong.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Besides the other stuff, having Martin and Johnston both in the lineup hurt the team in the third. Also fighting the refs didn't help.

How can Nelson look so great one game and inept the next?

Having Martin in the lineup is a "MUST"..anyone thinking otherwise does not understand the game ..were you not around the last 2 years watching?...having Johnson in the lineup was "required" Just like Trots said postgame.....we told MARTY "we want him on the ice" ....Knowing Marts will answer all calls you need a second Player with some grit who can stand in from time 2 time....Losing Marts 5 mins at a time is exactly what the rags needed...they only accomplished it once..but no Way even Marts who knows when to "GO" would allow Ciz getting hit like that. Momentum is everything and Marts got the momentum going shorty later Isles take the lead.

Consistency is everything..the bottom six have been most consistent....when the top 6 become more consistent you have a consistant winner.

Johnson once he learns to be more like Matty Marts will pick his times...not taking the lone penalty...Marts always takes someone to the box with him if rough stuff is required..."NHL PRO" see the difference...Johnson will be fine in time and is required when rough stuff starts since the Isles only have a few that can play rough. But you cannot have The biggest hitter in the league(Martin) going off for fisticuffs constantly. Johnson in the lineup was a perfect call by Trots.

Johnson is not nor never will be the hitter Marts is..he may never learn to control the opposition with on ice presence like Marts either...but he will be required if the team wants to go deep..otherwise every team will just send a fighter after Martin to get him off the ice.(not good for the Islanders)
Johnson definitely has a place ..who else can do the job on this squad.....don't say Komarov because he is not of the ilk.

One more youthful player learning to be an NHL'er when the team needs points is not required.

Great group here some are not required constantly ..but you must recognize who is required constantly and why..thats if you want to win....Nice mix of players but easy on trying to sell we need more scoring....Trots system has shown otherwise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hagstrom and Lek

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
This game was fun -- not for the play -- cuz -- wow.. we kinda were horrible that last period...

Its good b/c we got two points, we won, Rangers lost, we beat the piss out of them, that tweet above is awesome, and we have sparked the rivalry a bit.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I wasn't able to post threads at one point, and that's difficult when doing the GDT's. I believe I have 4 or 5 fan bases that loathe me.

Your control of the dark side is pretty amazing, we are not worthy of your trolling expertise. You would make an amazing mod, it's like training to be the best troll you can be. You know all the rules and where you can get away with pushing the line a little bit. I know for a fact my trolling game improved. :)

Reactions: MattMartin

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Having Martin in the lineup is a "MUST"..anyone thinking otherwise does not understand the game ..were you not around the last 2 years watching?...having Johnson in the lineup was "required" Just like Trots said postgame.....we told MARTY "we want him on the ice" ....Knowing Marts will answer all calls you need a second Player with some grit who can stand in from time 2 time....Losing Marts 5 mins at a time is exactly what the rags needed...they only accomplished it once..but no Way even Marts who knows when to "GO" would allow Ciz getting hit like that. Momentum is everything and Marts got the momentum going shorty later Isles take the lead.

Johnson once he learns to be more like Matty Marts will pick his times...not taking the lone penalty...Marts always takes someone to the box with him if rough stuff is required..."NHL PRO" see the difference...Johnson will be fine in time and is required when rough stuff starts since the Isles only have a few that can play rough. But you cannot have The biggest hitter in the league(Martin) going off for fisticuffs constantly. Johnson in the lineup was a perfect call by Trots.

Johnson is not nor never will be the hitter Marts is..he may never learn to control the opposition with on ice presence like Marts either...but he will be required if the team wants to go deep..otherwise every team will just send a fighter after Martin to get him off the ice.(not good for the Islanders)
Johnson definitely has a place ..who else can do the job on this squad.....don't say Komarov because he is not of the ilk.

One more youthful player learning to be an NHL'er when the team needs points is not required.

The whole starting of Johnston was a very interesting dynamic. Its pretty clear that the Rags MO was to get McLeod out there and get the fire burning. It was interesting how it played out - he challenged Martin, Martin declined and then he goaded RJ into taking a penalty and they get a quick PP goal. From their perspective, it couldn't have worked out better. Would it have gone down the same way if RJ wasn't in the lineup? I love (but am kinda shocked) that Trotz skated Johnston. He's the kind of coach who knows the time and place for certain things. At some points with the Caps, he told Wilson not to fight. Other times (obviously from last night), he knows the benefit of having muscle available.

McLeod did his job to a tee there but I can't help but thinking that he really did puss out a bit turning down RJ - the guy who worked him over good and with whom he broke his hand last game (although I still don't know how - I don't think he got much of a punch in).

Does Ross play on Saturday? How do lineups work? Does the visiting team announce who is dressing first or is it just determined by who is on the bench come game time?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The third period shows you domination doesn’t necessarily do anything for you. The one goal the rangers did score they still got incredibly lucky on with that crazy bounce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad