GDT: #42| New York Islanders @ New York Rangers | January 10th | 7:00 PM | F/W 4-3

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Isles let the Rangers dictate the play way too much. They were very soft overall and their approach was little too methodical. Totally shocked that Butch actually called them out on that. Kind of ironic that the most methodical Islander scores the game winner though.

Isles need to use home ice advantage to their benefit next game.

Also, is the sentiment really that the Isles played bad against Carolina? I thought they were fine overall, just had some bad bounces and atrocious power play.

I thought the isles pretty clearly outplayed Carolina too. Some incredibly unlucky bounces and a bad pp.

St Louis was bad and the third period tonight was the worst period they've played this year, but they were the better team the first 2 periods. I'm not ready to hit the panic button just yet.

It would be nice to start icing our more talented lineups and get the likes of Johnston back in the press box though.

I'm in agreement with you guys. The Islanders were better in Carolina, playing pretty well except on the PP. Last night they were pretty clearly the better team through two periods, then decided to take a nap for the 18 minutes of the third.

The whole starting of Johnston was a very interesting dynamic. Its pretty clear that the Rags MO was to get McLeod out there and get the fire burning. It was interesting how it played out - he challenged Martin, Martin declined and then he goaded RJ into taking a penalty and they get a quick PP goal. From their perspective, it couldn't have worked out better. Would it have gone down the same way if RJ wasn't in the lineup? I love (but am kinda shocked) that Trotz skated Johnston. He's the kind of coach who knows the time and place for certain things. At some points with the Caps, he told Wilson not to fight. Other times (obviously from last night), he knows the benefit of having muscle available.

McLeod did his job to a tee there but I can't help but thinking that he really did puss out a bit turning down RJ - the guy who worked him over good and with whom he broke his hand last game (although I still don't know how - I don't think he got much of a punch in).

Does Ross play on Saturday? How do lineups work? Does the visiting team announce who is dressing first or is it just determined by who is on the bench come game time?

The visiting team picks their starting line and the home team gets to match it. So the Rags intentionally put McLeod out against Martin to try and stir something up right away. Now, one could say that the Islanders started Martin and that was reason enough to put McLeod out there (kind of the like Vancouver brawl a few years back when Tortz was the coach), but the Isles almost always start that line so it wasn't out of the ordinary for them.

---

I'm surprised by the amount of fans that get his name wrong, so for anybody reading, it's Johnston, not Johnson.

Loved that Barzal gave a shout out to McLeod being scared of Johnston between periods. That might heat things up for the next game. Just step on their throats next game and don't give them anything.

Last edited:

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
The whole starting of Johnston was a very interesting dynamic. Its pretty clear that the Rags MO was to get McLeod out there and get the fire burning. It was interesting how it played out - he challenged Martin, Martin declined and then he goaded RJ into taking a penalty and they get a quick PP goal. From their perspective, it couldn't have worked out better. Would it have gone down the same way if RJ wasn't in the lineup? I love (but am kinda shocked) that Trotz skated Johnston. He's the kind of coach who knows the time and place for certain things. At some points with the Caps, he told Wilson not to fight. Other times (obviously from last night), he knows the benefit of having muscle available.

McLeod did his job to a tee there but I can't help but thinking that he really did puss out a bit turning down RJ - the guy who worked him over good and with whom he broke his hand last game (although I still don't know how - I don't think he got much of a punch in).

Does Ross play on Saturday? How do lineups work? Does the visiting team announce who is dressing first or is it just determined by who is on the bench come game time?

McLeod is a pro...his attempt to sacrifice himself to get Martin off the ice didn't work because as Trots said he told Marts not to fight. Johnson did his job right up to when he over did the dropping of the gloves(rook)..that gave the Pro Mcleod the win he was looking for with the P.P.

The 2 Pro's Martin and Mcleod both knew what to do...they have done this many times.....Johnson who got a little too much testostrom going ...got penalized . Frankly the Rags did not care if Johnson was taken off the ice thats why there was no fight....they wanted Martin off the ice for obvious reasons Martin showed later in the game destroying Rags at will with Body checks.

You dress the same lineup....Rags will try a different game anyway...yet there is always the possibility things get goofy

Reactions: Hagstrom

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
A lot of Twitter experts in the Isles contingent startign to sour on the directiont he team is heading after "3 straight clunkers."

Lets not let a strong winning streak and good position in the standings in January get to our heads. It takes more than 40 games to break olds habits. Just before our 6 game winning streak this team was hovering 1-3 games above NHL .500, winning 2 dropping 1 winning 1, dropping 1, and so on. We shouldn't be surprised there were 3 lackluster games in a row becaus eit has happened already this year.

Also, to categorize the Canes and Rangers games in the same ligth as the Blues is just wrong. We looked terrible against teh Blues. Classic trap game against a team with talent that is underachieving and we got lucky to get a win. We we're great against Carolina, but we'll win at least 50% of the games we play like that. Hell, the first 2 Canes goals we're lucky goals off of Islanders, and Greiss looked weak at best.

Last night we had maybe our worst period of the season, but we're fine for the first 40. Sometimes hard to look good in a tight checkign game against a rival. Either way, obviously you can not lay absolute eggs for a full 20 minutes like we did last nigth and expect to win, but to paint the last 3 games as evidence that this team is now bad again is asinine. That i the vibe I am getting on Twitter.

We're beating the Rangers and Lightning this weekend btw :)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The visiting team picks their starting line and the home team gets to match it. So the Rags intentionally put McLeod out against Martin to try and stir something up right away. Now, one could say that the Islanders started Martin and that was reason enough to put McLeod out there (kind of the like Vancouver brawl a few years back when Tortz was the coach), but the Isles almost always start that line so it wasn't out of the ordinary for them.L.

I know that’s the case for line changes and starting lines but is that the case for who’s active and who’s scratched? It’s announced before they come out on the ice. Do the Isles get to see the Rags’ scratches and then decide who to scratch or so both teams submit their lineups independent of one another?

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
I know that’s the case for line changes and starting lines but is that the case for who’s active and who’s scratched? It’s announced before they come out on the ice. Do the Isles get to see the Rags’ scratches and then decide who to scratch or so both teams submit their lineups independent of one another?
Some lineups are not completed till after warm ups..Due to Injury etc..How does the player feel...also late lineup cards can be a head game for many reasons

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. I'm not sure about the scratches. Considering the media typically knows before the game, I'd assume the opposing coach is also aware. Not sure when the card needs to be submitted to the officials.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
I am pretty sure that the visiting team submits their entire lineup first (not just the starting lineup). The receiving team can then adjust accordingly. Which explains Johnston's presence in the lineup yesterday. Trotz did not want to take a chance.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
A lot of Twitter experts in the Isles contingent startign to sour on the directiont he team is heading after "3 straight clunkers."

Lets not let a strong winning streak and good position in the standings in January get to our heads. It takes more than 40 games to break olds habits. Just before our 6 game winning streak this team was hovering 1-3 games above NHL .500, winning 2 dropping 1 winning 1, dropping 1, and so on. We shouldn't be surprised there were 3 lackluster games in a row becaus eit has happened already this year.

Also, to categorize the Canes and Rangers games in the same ligth as the Blues is just wrong. We looked terrible against teh Blues. Classic trap game against a team with talent that is underachieving and we got lucky to get a win. We we're great against Carolina, but we'll win at least 50% of the games we play like that. Hell, the first 2 Canes goals we're lucky goals off of Islanders, and Greiss looked weak at best.

Last night we had maybe our worst period of the season, but we're fine for the first 40. Sometimes hard to look good in a tight checkign game against a rival. Either way, obviously you can not lay absolute eggs for a full 20 minutes like we did last nigth and expect to win, but to paint the last 3 games as evidence that this team is now bad again is asinine. That i the vibe I am getting on Twitter.

We're beating the Rangers and Lightning this weekend btw :)
Alot to digest in this post. Most of all, I don't think that any game the Islanders are involved in can be called a "trap game" unless we are the trapper and not the trapee. Despite our record, we're not good enough to consider any team significantly weaker than we are on paper, which would be a requisite for a game to be called a trap in my estimation. That is, a substantially stronger team taking a weaker team not seriously enough and losing through overconfidence or laziness. That's something the Lightning are in danger of, not the Isles. Every game we play, with a few exceptions, the talent of the other team on the ice is at least the equal of ours. What's driving the Isles is chemistry, a chip on our shoulder, great coaching and just barely enough talent.

Last edited:

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Ah, sorry I misunderstood. I'm not sure about the scratches. Considering the media typically knows before the game, I'd assume the opposing coach is also aware. Not sure when the card needs to be submitted to the officials.
At 6:37 yesterday, Gross reported that Johnston was in. I'm not sure if he was basing that on the line rushes (which he reported earlier) or some specific, concrete info.

Just one of those things I'm curious about. In baseball, I've always wondered why teams (especially in big "do or die" situations) don't feint starting a righty and then go with a lefty (or vice versa). Even if it means you burn that one starter, its not like you're going to use them later in the game. If you act like you're starting a righty, the other team will put all its lefties in the lineup. and then if you trot out the lefty (who may have been the other option to start), you've got all the matchups you want. You could basically do the same thing after the first batter.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I get he didn't have the greatest last few games, but JHS needs back in. Without him, this team lacks speed in the middle six, and can't set a tone to a game. The big issue was putting JHS on the top line. Put him with Flip and Uncle Leo and you have a line that establishes a pace to the game.

Even if he were here, like Dal Colle, he would have sat.

Fact is, when we play the Rag$ and likely the Cryers too (and should be the case with Washington), Johnston and all other toughies are going to be in the line-up.

And they should be.

And neither Eberle nor Bailey is sitting so that Ho-Sang can suit up.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

To clarify, Martin started, but then went for an immediate line change once McCleod started with the crap right off the bat.

I.e. he and Johnston switched in a matter of what, 10 seconds?

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
Alot to digest in this post. Most of all, I don't think that any game the Islanders are involved in can be called a "trap game" unless we are the trapper and not the trapee. Despite our record, we're not good enough to consider any team significantly weaker than we are on paper, which would be a requisite for a game to be called a trap in my estimation. That is, a substantially stronger team taking a weaker team not seriously enough and losing through overconfidence or laziness. That's something the Lightning are in danger of, not the Isles. Every game we play, with a few exceptions, the talent of the other team on the ice is at least the equal of ours. What's driving the Isles is chemistry, a chip on our shoulder, great coaching and just barely enough talent.

Fair enough. I agree for the most part but if the Isles are a 102 point team (who knows, but that is their pace) than a game against a team below .500 certainly can be called a trap game. I think it has less to do with reality and more to do with expectations.

A team that is red hot, in a playoff position, against a team who has a terrible record but has been better of late and some real talent, can make a trap game if there is any chance the hot team is not taking their opponent as seriously as they should be.

Not worth getting into semantics, but either way, a hot Isles team shouldn't be overlookign the Blues (or Canes or Rangers) despite their records. In the first of those 3, they were lucky to pull out the W.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Another sloppy game. Another 2 points. Only good teams win when they are playing bad. I guess it’s time to believe that the Islanders are good enough to play some playoff-hockey this season. Strange times.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Another sloppy game. Another 2 points. Only good teams win when they are playing bad. I guess it’s time to believe that the Islanders are good enough to play some playoff-hockey this season. Strange times.
Barry Trotz! So far the testimonial to what you said is that as poorly as they've played at times they haven't had worse than a 2 game losing streak.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Even if he were here, like Dal Colle, he would have sat.

Fact is, when we play the Rag$ and likely the Cryers too (and should be the case with Washington), Johnston and all other toughies are going to be in the line-up.

And they should be.

And neither Eberle nor Bailey is sitting so that Ho-Sang can suit up.
Agree. Against the physically tough opponents I like it when Trotz inserts both Johnson and Martin in the line-up. Trotz just gets it. Intimidation can win hockey games or turn the momentum in a team's favor with a few big hits or timely fights. I think this is one of Trotz's greatest attributes, he understands the psychology of the game, it's a primordial sport in essence where the strongest and fittest are more likely to survive.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Barry Trotz! So far the testimonial to what you said is that as poorly as they've played at times they haven't had worse than a 2 game losing streak.

Barry and the new management has been the difference makers! I salute Malkin and Ledecky for being smart enough to pay to get one of the best coaches in hockey. However, to be fair, the Isles roster is average. Barry has been able to make them play like a team, and it seems like all of the players are happy. Everyone is showing emotions when the Islanders score. Love it!

Reactions: MJF

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
It can be silly at times. I got one once because the admin (non-Isles admin) didn't knowing the meaning of the word I used and thought I made a threatening gesture to another poster. I was completely dumbfounded, made my case to them and they still didn't get it/wouldn't admit it. Oh well. The other 2 I've gotten I probably deserved lol.
I get an infraction every time I just show up on the Leaf's board. I don't know why they just don't like me.

Reactions: MJF and Olliemets

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
At 6:37 yesterday, Gross reported that Johnston was in. I'm not sure if he was basing that on the line rushes (which he reported earlier) or some specific, concrete info.

Just one of those things I'm curious about. In baseball, I've always wondered why teams (especially in big "do or die" situations) don't feint starting a righty and then go with a lefty (or vice versa). Even if it means you burn that one starter, its not like you're going to use them later in the game. If you act like you're starting a righty, the other team will put all its lefties in the lineup. and then if you trot out the lefty (who may have been the other option to start), you've got all the matchups you want. You could basically do the same thing after the first batter.

That was actually done in the KC-Toronto Playoff Series way back in 1985. Dick Howser changed pitchers in 1rst inning so that he'd have Quisenberry facing all Rightys at end of game. I think its not done in general though for this reason: It's already complicated enough to win 1 Baseball Game. The job is hard enough and managers I think have an unwritten rule: If I do this to you today, you can come back and be done to me tomorrow. In a playoff there is no tomorrow of course.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Agree. Against the physically tough opponents I like it when Trotz inserts both Johnson and Martin in the line-up. Trotz just gets it. Intimidation can win hockey games or turn the momentum in a team's favor with a few big hits or timely fights. I think this is one of Trotz's greatest attributes, he understands the psychology of the game, it's a primordial sport in essence where the strongest and fittest are more likely to survive.
especially come spring time when the warriors grow back hair and fangs. Good to have Johnston around, the man is tough and can play

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That also has a practical reason behind it. With only Martin in the lineup an opponent will spend time goading Martin into the penalty box. 17-53-15 is too important to us on the ice. Let Johnston be the muscle. Martin has a more defined role on Trotz’s team than to be simply a protector.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
To clarify, Martin started, but then went for an immediate line change once McCleod started with the crap right off the bat.

I.e. he and Johnston switched in a matter of what, 10 seconds?
I just meant actually playing as opposed to being scratched. The swap came when it was evident that McLeod wanted to throw down.

Saturday will be interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad