Post-Game Talk: #42 | Capitals at Flyers | January 11, 2023

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
For the record, I don't care if they win or lose. I'm in wake me up when they clean house territory. Until then, they're hardcapping themselves. Even Bedard isn't fixing this.
I don't know Jojo.....last night's game was fun to watch against a fairly decent team. Sure the intensity would increase when, some day, they are in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. And the glow would last a week or so;
but it ain't going to change my life in anyway.

This is my 40th year as a Flyer's fan. Yes I have been, too, hostile to the current set of executives in charge but in the end I am still watching them play. Win or lose........I am still going to make my stupid comments, invest in time searching the internet to post a cool song for GDT on this site. Why? This is MY community in which I invested time and thoughts with like minded people. I have learned a lot from you guys. And not just hockey.......

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What will get interesting if the Flyers keep winning is Torts gets all the credit, which means his leverage in the organization increases, and he doesn't see eye to eye with Fletcher.

If Camillo replaces Scott, who do you think she'll side with?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What will get interesting if the Flyers keep winning is Torts gets all the credit, which means his leverage in the organization increases, and he doesn't see eye to eye with Fletcher.

If Camillo replaces Scott, who do you think she'll side with?

Tortorella doesn't run the organization. He has never been a shady Game of Thrones power player.

As a DC football fan I can assure you, you don't want to have a sports team where the coach is empowered by the owner-figure and gets to pick his boss. It's a backwards, dysfunctional way of working that ends in failure. If that's Camillos plan then she should be fired now too. Would save a lot of time.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I don't know Jojo.....last night's game was fun to watch against a fairly decent team. Sure the intensity would increase when, some day, they are in game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final. And the glow would last a week or so;
but it ain't going to change my life in anyway.

This is my 40th year as a Flyer's fan. Yes I have been, too, hostile to the current set of executives in charge but in the end I am still watching them play. Win or lose........I am still going to make my stupid comments, invest in time searching the internet to post a cool song for GDT on this site. Why? This is MY community in which I invested time and thoughts with like minded people. I have learned a lot from you guys. And not just hockey.......

Good! I have no desire to kill anyone's enjoyment. I wish I could put everything aside and just enjoy the games, believe me.

As far as the community, I'm still here too for the same reasons. Luckily for me, my interest in hockey doesn't begin and end with one team. The game as a whole is slowly moving in better directions.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tortorella doesn't run the organization. He has never been a shady Game of Thrones power player.

As a DC football fan I can assure you, you don't want to have a sports team where the coach is empowered by the owner-figure and gets to pick his boss. It's a backwards, dysfunctional way of working that ends in failure. If that's Camillos plan then she should be fired now too. Would save a lot of time.
if you're going to build a team, you want the HC and the GM on the same page.

Torts seems to prefer Briere (probably b/c Briere is more realistic, having spent time away from the echo chamber), and hasn't exactly embraced Fletcher's moves (Hayes from 2C to 3LW, Risto to 5D, MacEwen 4RW, Deslauriers 10 minutes a night). The only Fletcher pickups that have gotten PT are Tippett, TDA and York, partially out of necessity. But notice all three are mobile and have offensive skills.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey

Torts seems to prefer Briere (probably b/c Briere is more realistic, having spent time away from the echo chamber), and hasn't exactly embraced Fletcher's moves (Hayes from 2C to 3LW, Risto to 5D, MacEwen 4RW, Deslauriers 10 minutes a night). The only Fletcher pickups that have gotten PT are Tippett, TDA and York, partially out of necessity. But notice all three are mobile and have offensive skills.
It's been reported that Briere was a driving force behind signing Deslauriers.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Speaking of Deslauriers, can that guy ever handle a pass cleanly? Botches so many easy exits. They say you can't give a good player a bad pass...
Supposedly there were several teams that were after Deslaurier's services which caused the Flyers to need to go to a multi year offer in order to obtain him. It's time to find out who those teams were and shuffle him off to one of them.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Supposedly there were several teams that were after Deslaurier's services which caused the Flyers to need to go to a multi year offer in order to obtain him. It's time to find out who those teams were and shuffle him off to one of them.
He might well be moveable with $500K retained, there are teams that want that edge.
I don't think the idea of Deslauriers was bad, 4 years of Deslauriers was bad.
He did bring an edge to the forecheck that rubbed off the younger players, and provided a security blanket for them.

But bench him for a month and I'm sure he'll waive his NTC.

Reactions: renberg

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
For Jeff.......

I forgot to mention that somewhere I have a version in which he attempts to play a sitar.....said fk it......I will make my guitar sound like one.....creative......however Jeff disowned the Yardbirds because they fired him.......besides they had another guitarist......oh his name.......Jimmy Page......the Yardbirds broke up in 1967 or early 68......Jimmy wanted the drummer and bass player to form a new band called Yardbirds II or the New Yardbirds, in the end they did not join........Jimmy invited some guys named Bonham, Plante, and Jones to play a gig to comply to a contract.......and the new manager named them Led Zeppelin. Jones was a session bass player and actually played on a few Yardbirds songs......attached is one of the last recorded Yardbird's songs......Page did not want this to see the light of day......it took 20 or so years before he would let it be released.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

You don't want the HC having leverage over the GM. You don't want a GM bending to idiotic coach whims. That's how you get massive failures, like the Ghost situation.

Tortorella "prefers" Briere because everyone knows he's the future boss and he's sucking up in advance. This isn't a mystery. He's not Tywin Lannister.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
He might well be moveable with $500K retained, there are teams that want that edge.
He did bring an edge to the forecheck that rubbed off the younger players, and provided a security blanket for them.

This is another case of "if the cost doesn't make sense, don't pay it."

Deslauriers, Ristolainen, Ghost.

Or, perhaps more eloquently, what Kenny advised all those years ago.

"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run"

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

What the hell does this mean? The idea of Deslauriers. He's as useless in year one as he will be in years two, three, and four. And he always would have been. The idea of Deslauriers. They didn't need to go to imaginationland to figure out what he was, he's a real live (quasi-) NHL player with hundreds of games to look at for reference. The idea.

And man, if the team needed f***ing Deslauriers to teach the youngsters how to forecheck, the entire hockey operations staff should be deepthroating shotgun barrels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad