Post-Game Talk: #42 | Capitals at Flyers | January 11, 2023

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
They are killing the draft pick and it hurts, but honestly very happy for TK and Hart.

I'm really trying to get super comfortable with analytics, judging by a few of the metrics I think we certainly were the better team. I felt like we were watching the game too.

1. HDCF
2. SCF
3. xGF

Anyone help me out? thanks

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I look forward to the other side of the fetishism when the party ends and it's time to make excuses for the God-Coach

From the Toronto post game.... they'll ignore it as they blamed Sanheim for that loss instead of the real problem which Torts realized.

You do realize that even the Grand Emperor Torts realized it wasn't Travis but the other Dolt that caused that -3... hence why +/- is useless.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
That was an entertaining game.

Tippett's goal was ... wow.

TK was a force, and so was Laughton.

Someone mentioned TK getting to 50 - last time we had a 40+ goal scorer was Jeff Carter in 2008, back when the Flyers played at the Wachovia Center!

Nice to have Boosh in the broadcast booth.

Reactions: Nizzle

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What I'm mildly interested in is how the secondary market pricing does as they start creeping back toward being a bubble team. Not enough to track it, but the question I had was always whether that would be enough to cauterize the fanbase's rage. It might be with the True Believers.

Last year's 5th overall draft pick was 5 1/2 months old when John Tortorella won a Cup, but hey, clinging to the past has worked so well that you simply can't blame them for sticking to it.

But most importantly, I'm trying to imagine you ever framing a Fletcher period the way you've tidily stacked all of the blame on Jarmo and failing miserably.
That’s coming roughly five minutes after Fletcher is no longer here. Don’t you worry.

It’s the same story over and over. Place all of the blame on the last guy and defend the current guy to the end of the Earth right until they’re gone and then rinse and repeat.

I had the same thought about ticket prices last night. I don’t have any more games from my package but I’ll try and keep an eye on it and let you know.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
They are killing the draft pick and it hurts, but honestly very happy for TK and Hart.

I'm really trying to get super comfortable with analytics, judging by a few of the metrics I think we certainly were the better team. I felt like we were watching the game too.

1. HDCF
2. SCF
3. xGF

Anyone help me out? thanks
1. HDCF = High Danger Corsi* For. This stat is specific to a site called Natural Stat Trick. Here is the explanation on their website.
1673530627819.png

*Corsi is any shot attempt, regardless if it's blocked or if it hits the net, or if it's 30 ft wide, or a goal or a save. Any Shot Attempt.

2. SCF = Scoring Chances For - see above. This is likely also from Natural Stat Trick.

3. xGF = expected goals for. It is a model that predicts the percent chance one shot would become a goal in that specific scenario. The higher the value, the more likely the shot would be a goal. Models are slightly different from Site to Site.

For those that don't know, the NHL tracks various actions on the ice, including turnovers, hits, shot attempts, time that event was taken, the coordinates where that event was taken, etc. This dataset is publicly available, and this is what is used to develop the xGF model by specific sites.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
What I'm mildly interested in is how the secondary market pricing does as they start creeping back toward being a bubble team. Not enough to track it, but the question I had was always whether that would be enough to cauterize the fanbase's rage. It might be with the True Believers.

Last year's 5th overall draft pick was 5 1/2 months old when John Tortorella won a Cup, but hey, clinging to the past has worked so well that you simply can't blame them for sticking to it.

But most importantly, I'm trying to imagine you ever framing a Fletcher period the way you've tidily stacked all of the blame on Jarmo and failing miserably.
?? Blame Jarmo for what? He's the mastermind behind the roster and coaching composition when the Blue Jackets dismantled the Lightning a season before Tampa won 3 straight conference championships and 2 Stanley Cups, en route to a crushing 6 game defeat in the very next series where Columbus lost 3 games in a row. You can't get any more successful than that

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I love coming on here after we win to see people melting down about it . Life is good lol .

We are winning some games and the young guys are looking good . Frost Cates Allison and York did not have any points but all looked very good out there . We are progressing and the youth is helping .

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
1. HDCF = High Danger Corsi* For. This stat is specific to a site called Natural Stat Trick. Here is the explanation on their website.
View attachment 634074

*Corsi is any shot attempt, regardless if it's blocked or if it hits the net, or if it's 30 ft wide, or a goal or a save. Any Shot Attempt.

2. SCF = Scoring Chances For - see above. This is likely also from Natural Stat Trick.

3. xGF = expected goals for. It is a model that predicts the percent chance one shot would become a goal in that specific scenario. The higher the value, the more likely the shot would be a goal. Models are slightly different from Site to Site.

For those that don't know, the NHL tracks various actions on the ice, including turnovers, hits, shot attempts, time that event was taken, the coordinates where that event was taken, etc. This dataset is publicly available, and this is what is used to develop the xGF model by specific sites.
Awesome! So based on what I read at naturalstattrick, the Flyers were the better team in these metrics, right? (just want to make sure I'm reading this right) lol

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I love coming on here after we win to see people melting down about it . Life is good lol .

We are winning some games and the young guys are looking good . Frost Cates Allison and York did not have any points but all looked very good out there . We are progressing and the youth is helping .
You must love being a middling team and little chance of being a multiple cup winner in a market that shouldn't have challenges. This team used to be a destination for players to want to be here and not just players from this area. Now it's just another team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yay for the continued push to mediocrity & a front office that is looking for any reason to not rebuild!

They’re gonna lose more going forward but f***. On top of fighting a rebuild they don’t want to fire Fletcher either. Shit like this is just confirming their biases. That’s more important than a draft pick in all honesty.

Fletcher completely reversed course and signed Risto long-term based on a single decent game. They've been planning on being buyers or at minimum holding course for at least a week and a half now.

Reactions: Kelmitchell2

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

Every win sets this team back that much more, and I'm not talking about draft picks

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Doing Victory Laps over a short stretch of play certainly hasn’t blown up in anyone’s face over the last few years.

With that said, this front office is eating this shit up. With each passing day they’re going to delude themselves more and more that they’re a contending team with Couturier and Atkinson so let’s run it back!

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Fletcher completely reversed course and signed Risto long-term based on a single decent game. They've been planning on being buyers or at minimum holding course for at least a week and a half now.
One Sean Couturier will be the big trade deadline acquisition.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Doing Victory Laps over a short stretch of play certainly hasn’t blown up in anyone’s face over the last few years.

With that said, this front office is eating this shit up. With each passing day they’re going to delude themselves more and more that they’re a contending team with Couturier and Atkinson so let’s run it back!

f***ing painful man.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The $3 million man Laughton is having a career year by racking up points on special teams. Before this season he had 2 PPP and 6 SHP in his entire career.

23 P in 38 GP (10 ES, 7 PP , 6 SH)

While Farabee is going great at ES, but can't buy a point on the PP or PK.

24 P in 42 GP (24 ES, 0 PP, 0 PK)

Bizarre.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The $3 million man Laughton is having a career year by racking up points on special teams. Before this season he had 2 PPP and 6 SHP in his entire career.

23 P in 38 GP (10 ES, 7 PP , 6 SH)

While Farabee is going great at ES, but can't buy a point on the PP or PK.

24 P in 42 GP (24 ES, 0 PP, 0 PK)

Bizarre.

I ignore metrics for Farabee these days. I was a Chief Farabee Doubter, expecting regression in unsustainable areas that I figured would leave him borderline useless. He just finds ways to do good playing. I clearly don't understand him. I'll just give up and enjoy it.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

It certainly hasn't blown up THIS year.

The office is going back in now and Fletcher is once more secure. These people have the vision of a mole on a Sterno bender. When the season is a failure in the end again, their blown evaluation now will just be more reason to fire widely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad