Post-Game Talk: #42 | Capitals at Flyers | January 11, 2023

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
What’s funny is TK didn’t even break out this year. He’s been this good for years.

The only difference is he’s shooting 20%. Great shooting luck this year to balance out the horrible shooting luck last year.

It won’t last but his actual quality of play likely won’t change, so keep this in mind when he hits an inevitable dry spell.

He's been good, but it's a bit absurd to say he's been THIS good. He's just tied his career high in goals--24!--in 36 games. Shooting percentage aside, he's still on pace to best his assist numbers despite playing on the worst roster he's ever been on. He's always been effective and he'd have had himself 75 points in a full 2020 season, but this year is another gear.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I am increasingly impressed with the team's results, wherever they stem from.

Odds for 1st pick are massive crap shoot, and unless you can get #1, it's hardly worth the trauma. 25.5-11.5 for top 3, then 9.5-5.0 for the next 6.

Whatever, I am increasingly impressed with the results. Well done boys!

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
This was the first game I've thought to myself "...is TK a 50 goal scorer?"
He's not, probably, but even a consistent 30+ guy is a foreign concept for us. TK is that from now on, I believe and he gives a shit which I totally appreciate.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Straight talk though, if he rides this into the deadline he'd be worth a fortune.

It's too bad we have Fletcher.
(TK) he's not worth more than we'd get back. yet. chill.
losing for a better draft pick is a pure idiot's game. Ahem, check the percentages.
What’s funny is TK didn’t even break out this year. He’s been this good for years.

The only difference is he’s shooting 20%. Great shooting luck this year to balance out the horrible shooting luck last year.

It won’t last but his actual quality of play likely won’t change, so keep this in mind when he hits an inevitable dry spell.
ok
We are good
at times. crazy but true. i can definitely see some ComCast flack making a related PowerPoint Presentation, with 1/2 pages devoted to describing the LTIR/IR situation and having it make anyone go 'ok, makes sense why this year they went south, but they're competing'.

and we're all waiting for the consumption, reflection and assessment of that PowerPoint presentation.

so find that person responsible. and "influence" them.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He's been good, but it's a bit absurd to say he's been THIS good. He's just tied his career high in goals--24!--in 36 games. Shooting percentage aside, he's still on pace to best his assist numbers despite playing on the worst roster he's ever been on. He's always been effective and he'd have had himself 75 points in a full 2020 season, but this year is another gear.
He played out of his mind last year too but neither he nor his teammates could finish to save their lives. Sucks, but that’s hockey.

Like I said, this year he’s getting alllllll the scoring luck to make up for having horrific luck last year.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
He played out of his mind last year too but neither he nor his teammates could finish to save their lives. Sucks, but that’s hockey.

Like I said, this year he’s getting alllllll the scoring luck to make up for having horrific luck last year.
tk whatta guy

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'd point out that Torts won a SC this way, in CBJ, he built a team up then the GM screwed it up. When you provide structure and stress fundamentals (he doesn't stifle offense, you just have to play hard off the puck), it's a better environment for good young players to develop, and drives out the one dimensional players who'll be overpriced but won't help you win.

That's what worries me, and probably Torts as well, he knows he can max out this roster, but once he does, there is no where to go unless they patiently add assets. And this stupid FO will come to the wrong conclusion, if they have a strong second half, that they're one or two players away.

You trade JVR, Hayes and Provorov, with Atkinson 100% next year and hopefully Couts (back in April?) after a summer to work.
With luck those three bring enough assets to help rebuild the farm system.

You add Brink, maybe Gauthier depending on how he finishes in BC, Desnoyers, Lysckell, Zamula/Ginning (Ginning has the lead) until Andrae is ready. Maybe Foerster, but I think he's not quite ready.

Tippett is a beast, drew 3 penalties (should have been 4) and a laser for a goal. Some people need to eat crow. He may not be a future all pro, but he's a lot more than a throw-in.

The Cates line has bad metrics b/c they get matched against top lines but they're growing on the job, Farabee is starting to approach 100% - remember he had no chance to work out over the summer and no TC - and he's scoring at a 1st line pace. TK is getting the puck luck this year that he didn't get last year, but also b/c he's not rushing things. Why would you trade TK to get some draft picks to hope you land a player as good as the player you traded?

Frost is rushing things, two great scoring opportunities in the 1st period, but eventually the game will slow down. If you're creating opportunities, eventually you'll score if your name isn't Bellows.

By the way, the player they should have kept wasn't Ghost but Gustaffson - shows what stable coaching can do - he was coming on with Q, regressed with Colliton, struggled here in the 2020-21 shitshow, but on Washington is finally putting it together. Which is why I understand the gamble with TDA, Torts is being patient b/c if you can teach him to be more disciplined, you might have a steal.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody Webster

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Hanging your hat on "if we can just squeak in" is a loser mentality. Everyone's vision should be to build the best roster in the league, not a roster "good" enough to barely "squeak in". Congrats, you have a small chance of maybe winning. Wouldn't it be much better if you were one of the stronger teams heading into the playoffs with a (relatively) high chance of winning?

Lots of misguided values and goals in the fanbase and, even worse, in management
Ahh yes, the "what's the point of tanking you only get a 20% chance at Bedard, it's better to sneak in and have have 0.5% chance at a cup" paradox.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Ebbs and flows happen. People get wildly too gleeful, one way or the other, when they happen. I've never really believed this is a totally obvious bottom 3-5 team. This schedule has coincided with playing some of those teams -- we all see it. Some range of 7-10 always sounded right, especially if there was buy-in and great goaltending.

I spent the last decade seeing a perma-bubble team. This team isn’t nearly as talented long term as those teams. I like seeing young players excel, but I also don’t use the Flyers for nightly “fun” anymore based on midseason wins. Won't fan shame those who do, but I can't be missing the forest for the trees either. It’s a bottom 10 team with a bit of a dead cat bounce from a first year try hard coach. It’s not revelatory, and unfortunately, this team needs revelatory to get simple messages across.

Would you rather be Carolina or Buffalo?

Uh.....either over this shit? By a country mile. Buffalo is very young, with very elite top pieces, and has another handful of excellent prospects 1-2 years out. Along with cap space. Buffalo could easily pull a Jersey in that timespan. When it happens, don't blame the weed.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Its a good thing Torts benched and reinserted TK.
COACHING!

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
TK hit his magic 24 goal total. Time for a slump and a 10 game losing streak to get this thing back on track.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Mediocrity has never been so exciting. Just don’t be a Buffalo for five years. These years since 2013 were immensely exciting for a Flyers fan
Mediocrity is exciting when compared to the last two seasons of AV/Therrien/Yeo. Those seasons were as bad as it got in Flyers history. We knew that the club wasn’t good but that crew behind the bench just pushed them to a lower level.

Reactions: swami24

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
todays sports headline in Philly.....

Konecny's hat trick leads surging Flyers past Capitals 5-3​

deal wif it :naughty:

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Imagine how good they would be with JG....

I hope they keep winning and playing "competitive". I really want to see Chuck become a buyer. That is entertainment.

Does TK have more value no and at the deadline or over the summer?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I am increasingly impressed with the team's results, wherever they stem from.

Odds for 1st pick are massive crap shoot, and unless you can get #1, it's hardly worth the trauma. 25.5-11.5 for top 3, then 9.5-5.0 for the next 6.

Whatever, I am increasingly impressed with the results. Well done boys!
rVsgM8f.gif

Crap shoots don't have explicitly defined probabilities

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
I'd point out that Torts won a SC this way, in CBJ, he built a team up then the GM screwed it up. When you provide structure and stress fundamentals (he doesn't stifle offense, you just have to play hard off the puck), it's a better environment for good young players to develop, and drives out the one dimensional players who'll be overpriced but won't help you win.

That's what worries me, and probably Torts as well, he knows he can max out this roster, but once he does, there is no where to go unless they patiently add assets. And this stupid FO will come to the wrong conclusion, if they have a strong second half, that they're one or two players away.

You trade JVR, Hayes and Provorov, with Atkinson 100% next year and hopefully Couts (back in April?) after a summer to work.
With luck those three bring enough assets to help rebuild the farm system.

You add Brink, maybe Gauthier depending on how he finishes in BC, Desnoyers, Lysckell, Zamula/Ginning (Ginning has the lead) until Andrae is ready. Maybe Foerster, but I think he's not quite ready.

Tippett is a beast, drew 3 penalties (should have been 4) and a laser for a goal. Some people need to eat crow. He may not be a future all pro, but he's a lot more than a throw-in.

The Cates line has bad metrics b/c they get matched against top lines but they're growing on the job, Farabee is starting to approach 100% - remember he had no chance to work out over the summer and no TC - and he's scoring at a 1st line pace. TK is getting the puck luck this year that he didn't get last year, but also b/c he's not rushing things. Why would you trade TK to get some draft picks to hope you land a player as good as the player you traded?

Frost is rushing things, two great scoring opportunities in the 1st period, but eventually the game will slow down. If you're creating opportunities, eventually you'll score if your name isn't Bellows.

By the way, the player they should have kept wasn't Ghost but Gustaffson - shows what stable coaching can do - he was coming on with Q, regressed with Colliton, struggled here in the 2020-21 shitshow, but on Washington is finally putting it together. Which is why I understand the gamble with TDA, Torts is being patient b/c if you can teach him to be more disciplined, you might have a steal.
Still pushing that nonsense.

You mean Chuck correct?

Because I do not want to pay him 9 million per for 8 years at age 28 with 10 years already under his belt.

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Ebbs and flows happen. People get wildly too gleeful, one way or the other, when they happen. I've never really believed this is a totally obvious bottom 3-5 team. This schedule has coincided with playing some of those teams -- we all see it. Some range of 7-10 always sounded right, especially if there was buy-in and great goaltending.

I spent the last decade seeing a perma-bubble team. This team isn’t nearly as talented long term as those teams. I like seeing young players excel, but I also don’t use the Flyers for nightly “fun” anymore based on midseason wins. Won't fan shame those who do, but I can't be missing the forest for the trees either. It’s a bottom 10 team with a bit of a dead cat bounce from a first year try hard coach. It’s not revelatory, and unfortunately, this team needs revelatory to get simple messages across.

Uh.....either over this shit? By a country mile. Buffalo is very young, with very elite top pieces, and has another handful of excellent prospects 1-2 years out. Along with cap space. Buffalo could easily pull a Jersey in that timespan. When it happens, don't blame the weed.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
What I'm mildly interested in is how the secondary market pricing does as they start creeping back toward being a bubble team. Not enough to track it, but the question I had was always whether that would be enough to cauterize the fanbase's rage. It might be with the True Believers.

I'd point out that Torts won a SC this way, in CBJ, he built a team up then the GM screwed it up.

Last year's 5th overall draft pick was 5 1/2 months old when John Tortorella won a Cup, but hey, clinging to the past has worked so well that you simply can't blame them for sticking to it.

But most importantly, I'm trying to imagine you ever framing a Fletcher period the way you've tidily stacked all of the blame on Jarmo and failing miserably.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad