Post-Game Talk: #42: Blues at FLYERS, Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
K so what you're all saying is even though I have the time to watch a replay of this one, I shouldn't

I did only to see Hart. Painful season. JJ was spot on. Not sure about Jones' comment about Ghoul.

I feel Homer and Clarke (even with his honorary roll only) should have gone as well. This franchise is a joke. Why aren't we getting Myers some NHL experience? Seems like Hextall's fear left a permanent stench on the organization.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I dont think anyone is trading for Jake when he has 5 more years left at $8.125, so im just going to hope he turns it around if the organization makes sweeping changes.

Our best hope for cutting Jake loose will probably come in the 2021 expansion draft.

Until then, lets hope he finds his game next season when things are hopefully back on track.

There is always a team who has a shot to get in the playoffs or a team who wants to add to their run who will make a deal. It's the return that has to be right. It is now down to the players who have to be accountable for their play. They know it is only a matter of time before the shoe drops. I just hope Scott(who clearly is running the show now that Hexy is gone) does not make our GM do a dumb ass move to put people in the stands only. Cliff needs to be smart about this and look to the future only cause this season is cooked. until I see what they do I still want Ron Hextall back.

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA

JJ and Jones’s caught with a hot mic lol. Believe I can hear them talking about Jake

This was quick pass I'll do a once-over to make sure I'm on it.

Jones: I would not play Hart tomorrow night, I'll tell you that. They don't deserve a guy who plays like Hart.
JJ: [unintelligible] they gotta do something, even if it's freaking calling up Aube Kubel, some guys, some hammers...
Jones: Goulbourne, brought him again, see Goulbourne...
JJ: Something, I mean...
Jones: Dale Weise has gotta go too
JJ: Dale Weise, Voracek, some nights, I mean...
Jones: He quits, he quits if he's not playing. If he's not getting ice time? Shuts down.

[unintelligible]

Jones: aaaaaaaaaah God.
JJ: Wow!
Jones: That's about as bad as it gets.
JJ: It's probably not as bad performance-wise as the Toronto game but...you're at home. so it's worse.
Jones: And you got a rookie in net and you did nothing to test him. That long stretch, we had 4 shots in a 14 minute span.
JJ: Yeah, and the forwards had 4 shots for 30 minutes.
Jones: Guys weren't even working...
JJ: 30 minutes!
Jones: And they were playing with 2 less forwards, and they had more energy? That was just brutal.

Updated to add the "they don't deserve a guy" line, which I think is the best part. The unintelligible section they're talking about whether someone else is making the trip tomorrow ("he wasn't listed") the name sounds like "Larry Rubberstein" though (haha), I can't parse it.

4da.gif

7tkvQ0I.gif

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I think we’re all going a bit crazy from being the most mediocre franchise in sports for 6 years now. Was at the game with my dad, and I think I finally saw him hit his breaking point with this team, to the point where he doesn’t want to renew our tickets, and wants nothing to do with this team.

Driving ourselves insane for 6 years, and seeing absolutely no change in the on ice product, especially with the on ice product making the same god damn mistakes over and over and over again. I know this board has been crazy lately, but I completely get in. Some people have wanted to see a winner, for 40 years now. That’s a long time. I’m only 21, so I get off kind of easy here, but I get where those frustrated people are coming from, because I’m frustrated myself.

It’s going to be like this for at least the next 6 months. Until Fletcher shows he knows what he’s doing/has a plan, there’s no way you can have any faith in this team , this year and beyond, in their current state.

Bravo

Reactions: Peter Man

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Just as a comparison for the Jake fan club, what other forwards making 8 plus mill per year have less points than Jake this year ?

Reactions: Peter Man

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Whatever this board looks like or has has developed into, don´t you think a poster with 42.142 posts is a big part of it?

Don´t get me wrong. I like some of your comments and others I disagree with, but maybe you shouldn´t complain about overreacting.
Well feel free to keep an eye out for the day I say that we need to trade all our best players or any of the other types of insane overreactions I'm referencing in that post.

If I do it then I should be called out on it, just like anyone else.

Thing is, I don't do that since it's easily possible to vent and complain without going so far overboard and losing all perspective.

Reactions: marcsson68

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just as a comparison for the Jake fan club, what other forwards making 8 plus mill per year have less points than Jake this year ?

Voracek's scoring is due to the PP not working like it has for years (partially due to Simmonds being f***ed and partially due to bad luck). He's producing just like normal outside of that.

Currently he's pacing for 49 even strength points per 82 games.
Last year he had 50 even strength points in 82 games.
It's the 2nd highest EVP pace he's had since the lockout year in 2012-2013.

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Voracek's scoring is due to the PP not working like it has for years (partially due to Simmonds being ****ed and partially due to bad luck). He's producing just like normal outside of that.

Last year he had 50 in 82 games.
I watched the first 2 periods last night (I just couldn’t take all 3) and what I saw was just the perfect storm of bad. You have players trying too hard and forcing plays that lead to turnovers. You have other players just giving up on plays and basically just going through the motions. Hopefully Fletcher brings in a legit NHL coach after this season who brings with him a completely new staff. The only thing left to hope for this season is good fortune in the draft lottery.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As I said the other day, i think it's a case of the tide dropping all ships here. There's no confidence in the lineup and it's affecting everyone. You can't judge any of the kids this season.

They have no faith in their process yielding positive results. Its not about talent.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I watched the first 2 periods last night (I just couldn’t take all 3) and what I saw was just the perfect storm of bad. You have players trying too hard and forcing plays that lead to turnovers. You have other players just giving up on plays and basically just going through the motions. Hopefully Fletcher brings in a legit NHL coach after this season who brings with him a completely new staff. The only thing left to hope for this season is good fortune in the draft lottery.
Yup, agree completely.

What’s especially disappointing is it was following such a strong game against the Flames (minus Simmonds and Weal). Definitely seems like a confidence/mentality/coaching issue.

Reactions: BernieParent

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I did only to see Hart. Painful season. JJ was spot on. Not sure about Jones' comment about Ghoul.

I feel Homer and Clarke (even with his honorary roll only) should have gone as well. This franchise is a joke. Why aren't we getting Myers some NHL experience? Seems like Hextall's fear left a permanent stench on the organization.
I don’t mind having Bob Clarke around. He’s actually thoughtful and intelligent, & he’s not a meddler — mostly in Florida, but open as a sounding board if asked. Was a flawed GM, but overall a successful one despite no Cups. His GM record ranks pretty highly in winning % & Cup final appearances, & he built the Florida expansion franchise (with way tougher expansion rules) that set a (then) first year expansion record & quickly was a contender.

Some younger fans hate him because of the Lindros ordeal, but I think he’s a good guy to have in the organization. Has tons of respect around the league & you know if things get really bad he’ll try to defend Snider’s ideals.

Holmgren, on the other hand, scares the hell out of me having any power. His impulsivity is dangerous.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I literally read this one page and I don't know how anyone can even attempt to argue with me about the overreactions. :laugh:

Even just the post above this has a perfect example in it: "I'd trade jake at 50% of his value at this point" and that's not even the worst thing I read today.

This board is turning into a joke... like Facebook or beat article comment section joke. There's a line between normal complaining/venting vs just saying mindless nonsensical ****, which has obviously been crossed. It's really amazing that, with how bad this season is, people can somehow find a way to go overboard. There are real problems, there's legit reasons to complain, being frustrated makes perfect sense, venting is perfectly fine, but **** me... at this point this board is worse than the games. Talking about laziness on the ice while being 100x as lazy with the critiques. Like the forum equivalent of that Simmonds play from last game where he didn't even bother skating and just reached.

I feel like this place used to have more real posts and a few insane ones scattered in. Now it's just so many ridiculous posts with a few real ones once in a while. Am I remembering wrong? Was it always this bad?

And before people get worked up and defensive, remember that I'm not talking about people normally complaining about the team and things that are real problems. I'm talking about the insane posts that make no sense. If you feel targeted by this, think about why...
It's always been mostly crazy here. However, this season and really the last half decade has been so terrible it is making us all delusional and senile. Everyone just wants to win and its tough to find an answer, every problem we fix seems to cause more problems.

Once we actually start winning again it will get better.

Reactions: Striiker

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Well feel free to keep an eye out for the day I say that we need to trade all our best players or any of the other types of insane overreactions I'm referencing in that post.

If I do it then I should be called out on it, just like anyone else.

Thing is, I don't do that since it's easily possible to vent and complain without going so far overboard and losing all perspective.

One of the best players on a team that has quit and completely sucks. Don't you think Voracek garners some blame for the Flyers' record? Or is that not common sensical? :laugh:

Reactions: JXC

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
One of the best players on a team that has quit and completely sucks. Don't you think Voracek garners some blame for the Flyers' record? Or is that not common sensical? :laugh:

Incorrect. Try again.

Voracek's scoring is due to the PP not working like it has for years (partially due to Simmonds being ****ed and partially due to bad luck). He's producing just like normal outside of that.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
This team is short on talent, and they play poorly together. That’s a recipe for where they are. Voracek is Exhibit 1.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
It’s not the coach. Coaches don’t pass into skates or behind players. Coaches don’t chest snipe. Coaches don’t loaf back on defense. Coaches don’t shoot wide.

You’d be hard-pressed to name a player on this team who isn’t overrated by fans. There’s just too many flaws and not enough punch and the emotionless leadership doesn’t help. They possess neither the talent nor the fire to compensate for the mistakes made by so many flawed players.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville

The math checks out.
However, scoring points is only a part of the game of hockey. It's a process metric to reach the outcome of winning the game. All of us understand that in the end it's only W that counts. In other words a team cant win a game without scoring, but the same team can easily lose the game despite scoring.
Jake is a very gifted player. But his gifts of creativity might have been hampered by a previous regime (although, his highest scoring came under this regime) causing him make a lot of dumb mistakes. He is making a lot of costly mistakes that contribute to loses despite of him scoring. He needs help to get his head straight. And that might be solved by a new coach, who understands Jake's predicament, by a psychologist, that will help him clear his head, or by change of scenery. A lot of Flyers fans are fed up with the team mediocrity and are unwilling to see if a new coach or a psych intervention would work for Jake. Hence the calls for his trade.
I do not think it's an overreaction in the current team's situation.
As for PP, I am not sure I believe in bad luck there- in my opinion, it's schema and execution...and refusing to adjust personnel (Simmer).

Last edited:

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Welcome to the HFB, BiggE

tumblr_nzs18yPbiv1r54qfqo4_500.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad