Post-Game Talk: #42: Blues at FLYERS, Monday, Jan. 7, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
One of the big things I see with Voracek is that he seems to get tunnel vision when he gets the puck. While he has always been a puck carrier, there is very little of his usual ability to create space for himself and/or dish off at an opportune time to a teammate in a better position. I attribute this to him trying to do too much himself when he gains possession, which is a detriment to the team right now.

The flip side is his penchant for so-so backchecking with gusts of both the occasional strong defensive play to controller disconnect. If I could pick at the hot-mic take of the player who "quits", I find it puzzling to match this accusation with either Voracek or Weise. While Weise is obviously significantly less gifted a player, I haven't seen him deliver lazy efforts. Voracek, justified or not, can be caught gliding back to the defensive zone, but he (like I said before) suffers more of late from trying to do too much.

I thought a lot about the JJ - Jonesy dialogue after the game, and what effects there may be from it. After all, Hakstol may still be coach had the "media" not drummed up controversy. Might their comments push Fletcher to make a deal? I suppose that little will arise, given that we haven't heard anything since, but the speculation is better than dwelling on the poor on-ice product.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
This was quick pass I'll do a once-over to make sure I'm on it.

Jones: I would not play Hart tomorrow night, I'll tell you that. They don't deserve a guy who plays like Hart.
JJ: [unintelligible] they gotta do something, even if it's freaking calling up Aube Kubel, some guys, some hammers...
Jones: Goulbourne, brought him again, see Goulbourne...
JJ: Something, I mean...
Jones: Dale Weise has gotta go too
JJ: Dale Weise, Voracek, some nights, I mean...
Jones: He quits, he quits if he's not playing. If he's not getting ice time? Shuts down.

[unintelligible]

Jones: aaaaaaaaaah God.
JJ: Wow!
Jones: That's about as bad as it gets.
JJ: It's probably not as bad performance-wise as the Toronto game but...you're at home. so it's worse.
Jones: And you got a rookie in net and you did nothing to test him. That long stretch, we had 4 shots in a 14 minute span.
JJ: Yeah, and the forwards had 4 shots for 30 minutes.
Jones: Guys weren't even working...
JJ: 30 minutes!
Jones: And they were playing with 2 less forwards, and they had more energy? That was just brutal.

Updated to add the "they don't deserve a guy" line, which I think is the best part. The unintelligible section they're talking about whether someone else is making the trip tomorrow ("he wasn't listed") the name sounds like "Larry Rubberstein" though (haha), I can't parse it.

I really don't get why we have to see Dale Weise and we can't have NAK or any of our young guys in the line up as regulars. They can do NO WORSE than Dale Weise.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
One of the big things I see with Voracek is that he seems to get tunnel vision when he gets the puck. While he has always been a puck carrier, there is very little of his usual ability to create space for himself and/or dish off at an opportune time to a teammate in a better position. I attribute this to him trying to do too much himself when he gains possession, which is a detriment to the team right now.

The flip side is his penchant for so-so backchecking with gusts of both the occasional strong defensive play to controller disconnect. If I could pick at the hot-mic take of the player who "quits", I find it puzzling to match this accusation with either Voracek or Weise. While Weise is obviously significantly less gifted a player, I haven't seen him deliver lazy efforts. Voracek, justified or not, can be caught gliding back to the defensive zone, but he (like I said before) suffers more of late from trying to do too much.

I thought a lot about the JJ - Jonesy dialogue after the game, and what effects there may be from it. After all, Hakstol may still be coach had the "media" not drummed up controversy. Might their comments push Fletcher to make a deal? I suppose that little will arise, given that we haven't heard anything since, but the speculation is better than dwelling on the poor on-ice product.

At least Voracek throws himself around for pucks and plays physically on it and skates offensively. We know he's no defensive wizard. I think he's been put into positions to play too much defense as well, which will reflect poorly.

Weise goes for public skates most games. Without the 1st line skill. I really couldn't disagree more about him being a lazy player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
How sad is that. But yeah, Simmonds, at the very least, has been just as bad.
Yeah, I'd say quite a bit worse.

He's cost us two games in the last losing stretch with his lazy backchecking. Some players can get away with the rare lazy play, but if you're as bad as he's been then there's zero excuse.

As much as it pains me to say it, Weise has been fairly tolerable lately. Not good, but mostly invisible in his tiny role. Lucky Hak isn't here to put him in the top 6 anymore.

Reactions: BiggE

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm still all for throwing a stick of dynamite into the machine and blowing it up. G deserves better than this cesspool of crap.

giphy.gif

Source: Flyers Hockey, Film Documentary, 1936

Depicted is the Flyers Machine consuming yet another franchise great without ever winning a Cup.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I really don't get why we have to see Dale Weise and we can't have NAK or any of our young guys in the line up as regulars. They can do NO WORSE than Dale Weise.

Because they value veteran pecking order more than player development.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm still all for throwing a stick of dynamite into the machine and blowing it up. G deserves better than this cesspool of crap.

Same. Dont care who is traded as long as its a good trade. My only untouchables are Hart, Sanheim, and Giroux.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hughes deserves better though tbh.
I'll continue being Captain Optimism and say this is probably a great place for him to go to because he'd be coming to a team with a ton of young talent, primed to rocket to the top, IF they get a real coach and assuming Hart just needs a little more experience.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'll continue being Captain Optimism and say this is probably a great place for him to go to because he'd be coming to a team with a ton of young talent, primed to rocket to the top, IF they get a real coach and assuming Hart just needs a little more experience.

Its not a great place until we see next coaching staff.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well he certainly has plenty of time to look for a coach, so no excuses.

And if its a bad hire, we are looking at 2-3 more wasted years, so im not being optimistic until the ink is dry on the next coachs contract. So much hinges on it.

I think we will be competing with St. Louis and Edmonton at least for Q's services. If he doesnt choose Philly, we are in bad shape. Our best bet might be a roll of the dice on another unproven coach like Keefe, because other available vet coachs leave a lot to be desired.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
And if its a bad hire, we are looking at 2-3 more wasted years, so im not being optimistic until the ink is dry on the next coachs contract. So much hinges on it.

I think we will be competing with St. Louis and Edmonton at least for Q's services. If he doesnt choose Philly, we are in bad shape. Our best bet might be a roll of the dice on another unproven coach like Keefe, because other available vet coachs leave a lot to be desired.
I'm still in the "dont want Q" camp...

I've seen too many horror stories that make him sound way too much like Hak... apparently he overuses vets, is too defensively-minded, doesn't adapt, constant line changes, is behind the times, etc etc etc....

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I'll also repeat that I'm not saying it's wrong to be frustrated with the team overall or individual core players who are underachieving. I am too. Extremely frustrated.

All I'm saying is there's a line that gets crossed sometimes, past reasonable frustration/complaining/venting and into absurdity.

I think people tend to get real emotional after losses like last night, the Jets game and the Toronto debacle. That is still at the top of the list for me in unacceptable efforts.
I try to stay even keel after losses, but I can not tolerate no show, no efforts like last night. Most everyone is frustrated and pissed off. Cannot blame the fanbase at all even tho we kinda became numb to the losing under Hakstol.
You can only do so many closed door players only meetings, listening to the same post game comments every night. Eventually changes need to happen in the room. Just trading Simmonds and calling up a couple of kids will likely not be enough.

Reactions: Striiker

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Flyers still employ a player in the middle of a cocaine investigation. They dont give a ****.

There's nothing they can do with Lehtera under the CBA except waive him, which wouldn't affect his paycheck or his employment status.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm still in the "dont want Q" camp...

I've seen too many horror stories that make him sound way too much like Hak... apparently he overuses vets, is too defensively-minded, doesn't adapt, constant line changes, is behind the times, etc etc etc....

I'm just wanting a competent coach that knows about offense and defense, can work with younger players and is not afraid to jettison the garbage from the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad