GDT: #42 Blue Jackets at Tampa chainsaw massacre. |1-8-19 7:30 PM

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I will say your dedication to your established points of view is creditable. There are few I've encountered that adhere so tightly to opinions even when evidence flies in their face. This methodology is certain to produce accurate results at least some of the time.

And really, do you want to get me started on 16/17? Or maybe we should go back to what was being said about the team the 10 months prior to that. Really, my biggest problem with Bobrovsky and his "fans" and the MAIN REASON I want him gone, is related to all of this. Its this narrative or idea that's been going on that the team wasn't or isn't very good and that without, "Top Cop/Vezina Bob" (or baby jojo) , the team would suck. It is, AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN, untrue.

16/17 (as a whole) THE ENTIRE TEAM played like literally 1 of, if not THE BEST team in the league. For A LARGE PART of the year. I could be wrong but I believe "Safe is Death" was not yet a thing. That year probably inspired the idea to try it. 16 game win streak, along with I believe another 1 of 9-10 games. 108 pts, 4th in the league. 249 scored ranked tied for 6th. 195 against ranked 2nd, many teams not close. So again, what does this all tell us? If you say that a team that ranked almost top 5 in goals scored, AND PLAYED VERY GOOD most of the year on top of it, didn't have much of an impact on their goalie and him winning the Vezina, and that HE was the 1 having a huge impact on the team, well, I disagree strongly. Team was "stacked" depth wise and defensively, and the kicker, PLAYING AWESOME.

I'm not sure exactly what EVIDENCE I could ever have, as the teams numbers and success are inherently "ingrained" with one another. What I will consider evidence and I would like for you to dispute, is that "playoff Bob" has ALWAYS existed and been shown on a consistent basis. Not every game, but stretches in every year. And its NOT only in the playoffs, or against "top" teams. Why? You can say what you want about all goalies letting in this or that, whether current day guys or historically, but its not really true, not as consistently as Bob or "playoff Bob", especially when comparing him to some of the guys he's been compared to and the impact those guys DID have on games or a team.

How bout this for evidence....

Player NameGPMinGAGAAWLTSvsPctENSO
Joonas Korpisalo311797782.60161148910.92020
Sergei Bobrovsky372104972.75151919520.90871
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

#NameGPMinGAGAAWLTENGSOSavesSvPct
72Sergei Bobrovsky311751822.8118121028110.908
70Joonas Korpisalo14701393.34622003100.888
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I'm not good at math, obviously, so I'll let all the mathematicians and statisticians do the "heavy work" ala Bobrovsky, but from the quick "eye test" it doesn't look like that big of a difference to me.

Or do we need a Seth Jones-Korpisalo hug as evidence.

And remember, Jarmo, "knows his plans". We don't even know Panarin's plans, because he doesn't have any. Bob does.

Reactions: Facifer

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
And really, do you want to get me started on 16/17?

No. But it's too late for that now, isn't it.

;)

Anyway I don't know why you're upset. I paid you a compliment, pointing up your "stick to your guns approach" that must prove accurate and effective at least some of the time.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Really, my biggest problem with Bobrovsky and his "fans" and the MAIN REASON I want him gone, is related to all of this. Its this narrative or idea that's been going on that the team wasn't or isn't very good and that without, "Top Cop/Vezina Bob" (or baby jojo) , the team would suck.
This is not a good reason to dump an effective, contributing player. Personally, I've maintained all along that we have a good playoff-capable team that's made great by Bob (when he's performing, anyways). We suffer without him. We're not completely doomed without him, but we are nonetheless worse.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Oh dear , the delusion is real.

Jackets played 16 games since December, they only faced 6 playoff teams in that period. They went 1-5 with them. The only PO team they beat scoring a single goal on a backup was on the end of the long road trip and played 4 games in 6 days.

Go back on earth Bus...... Or not, stay where you are, on your happy planet.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh dear , the delusion is real.

Jackets played 16 games since December, they only faced 6 playoff teams in that period. They went 1-5 with them. The only PO team they beat scoring a single goal on a backup was on the end of the long road trip and played 4 games in 6 days.

Go back on earth Bus...... Or not, stay where you are, on your happy planet.
Why limit your evaluation to December? Why not include our 5-2 versus playoff teams November? I can understand omitting October, as it has little impact (1-1), but this "pick the most pessimistic statistic" approach is getting old no matter who it's coming from.

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Today I learned Bus doesn't actually watch CBJ games.

Care to explain?

No. But it's too late for that now, isn't it.

;)

Anyway I don't know why you're upset. I paid you a compliment, pointing up your "stick to your guns approach" that must prove accurate and effective at least some of the time.

Just wanted to add my own "evidence" into the "picture".

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Because it reflects their recent play? Because it's normal to evaluate team play month by month? Because 16 games is enough sample size? Because i want to?
Who cares how they played in November? It's January.

Yeah I agree it's good to look at things lately. They were definitely not good enough in December when things got tough, and not that convincing even when they were winning.

What I don't like is that some posters (you know who) are going to use whatever recent negative stat to argue that this is "The True Blue Jackets" now, as if teams don't always have month to month variation.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Every team always evolves during the season as its being retuned for PO. So what only matters is now.
As a concequence only recent stats matter and its where disfunctional offense stands out. Defense is more or less ok. Overall Bob has been better lately than he was in Oct/Nov.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
. We suffer without him. We're not completely doomed without him, but we are nonetheless worse.

Here we go.

"Suffer"?? Not true. At all. Korpisalo is 6-2-2 this year. Far from suffering or being doomed. Also, there will be nothing I can say or show you that will be "proof" that the team is NOT WORSE without him (and 8 million in extra cap) because he is a "multiple Vezina winner". There is only 1 time in the past 4 years when another goalie has gotten a somewhat relatable workload.

Do you want to see the results? Or the "doom".

Player NameGPMinGAGAAWLTSvsPctENSO
Joonas Korpisalo311797782.60161148910.92020
Sergei Bobrovsky372104972.75151919520.90871
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

What's the reasoning for this? You think Korpisalo has gotten worse from age 21 to 24?

Injury excuse for Bob? Remember when injury/"health" issues were a concern with Bob and actually seen as a negative? Probably, not, huh? Legitimate groin issues, for a goalie. Where does that all fit in going forward? I don't hope for a tweaked groin but now would be a perfect time for people to see what there is in Korpisalo. You also seem to forget that NOT LONG AGO they made the decision to START Korpisalo. They "stopped" the "seesaw" rotation and actually went to Korpisalo officially. The conscious decision was made that HE was the best option. That obviously lasted only 1 period, and it WASNT his fault, and I think that just adds to the point that Korpisalo has really never gotten the true ability to "prove himself" other than in 15/16, when its safe to say he exceeded expectations and proved he is an NHL goaltender.

I really don't think many people grasp the concept of goalies playing consistently and developing a "rhythm". Its the reason a guy like Bob would play SO MUCH (60+ games) even when he didn't "need" to and has had an injury history. Not only is it the more you play the "better" you get, but mathematically, playing lesser games, your numbers/stats are affected much more by a couple "bad" games in net.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Because it reflects their recent play? Because it's normal to evaluate team play month by month? Because 16 games is enough sample size? Because i want to?
Who cares how they played in December? It's January.

Reactions: puckfan64

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Korpisalo is 6-2-2 this year.
...and has given up 3 or 4 goals in all but one of those games (in which he gave up 2). In those same games, he's been above a .902 on a per-game basis exactly ONCE (versus Florida, 3 goals against on 43 shots). A stronger case can be made for the team winning in spite of him rather than because of him. He has never come close to stealing a game.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
...and has given up 3 or 4 goals in all but one of those games (in which he gave up 2). In those same games, he's been above a .902 on a per-game basis exactly ONCE (versus Florida, 3 goals against on 43 shots). A stronger case can be made for the team winning in spite of him rather than because of him. He has never come close to stealing a game.

NOT true.

Its not all about the total shots and save %. Its how the games are played, and what the actual chances/shots are. At the beginning of the year, the team was playing much worse defensively and would have many more "breakdowns" and odd man rushes going the other way. BOTH goalie had their stats reflect this. Bob has played much more recently, while the team has played better, and it has affected his numbers greatly.

Korpisalo 100% WON games at the beginning of the year. More so than Bob did. Do i have to go back and look up how many of Korpisalo's games you admitted you didn't watch more than a period?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

In April and hopefully May and June, we won't care about December or January.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Well, do be surprised when something stupid happens tonight
Not a matter of if......only when

TP20.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad