Speculation: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
His play slipped after the first 2 games, he was brutal in the final 3. A 9.5M goalie doesn't have a 3.22 GAA and .897 save %, those were worst than his RS numbers.

Agreed that his play did drop off and that you’d like your 9.5 franchise goalie to put up better numbers but I think game 5 is the only one where he was actually kind of brutal. With the amount of chances and open looks this team gave up it’s not shocking though.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
The goals Vasy gave up in game 3 up were pretty unstoppable.
1. Dumba chases a hit falls on his face Hagel takes the wrong route to Dumbas guy and leaves M Tkachuck alone in front for a one tap.
2. Team can’t clear the zone Reinhart is at the hash marks and shoots through Lilleberg. He scored 50. Goal scorers are going to score when you give them that much time
3. Shot from the point where Vasy is Double screened.
4th goal is the only ehh one to me but terrible defense.

Game 4
1. CV23 left all alone in front for a one tap.
2. ehh?not sure terrible defense again
3. Bad Goal

Game 5 (oh god)
1. Vasy is shocked that Hedman and Cernak stare at a rebound and let CV23 get to it and Bury it 1V3.
2. Bad goal
3. Bad goal
4. Stoppable? Would of been an amazing save

Reactions: Hoek

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Did Vasy even give up a goal that wasn’t a grade A shot or bounce? That was probably the best sub .900 series I’ve ever seen, those weren’t soft perimeter shots from Florida. The reason he wasn’t the difference is because Bobrovsky pretty much matched him

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Did Vasy even give up a goal that wasn’t a grade A shot or bounce? That was probably the best sub .900 series I’ve ever seen, those weren’t soft perimeter shots from Florida. The reason he wasn’t the difference is because Bobrovsky pretty much matched him
I thought both goalies played well. It'll probably be the best goalie matchup this entire playoffs.

That said, Bob had a tram infront of him that played together and defensive minded. Vasy had a bunch of jabronis puck watching and leaving him out to dry.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Bob was also sub .900 until the last game, in fact even lower than Vasi at like .871 or something.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Bob was also sub .900 until the last game, in fact even lower than Vasi at like .871 or something.
Bobrovsky was below .900 in major part because the Lightning didn't get a ton of shots on net, but scored on enough to make the numbers look worse. And Bobrovsky's game 4 hurt the numbers for sure.

Just shows again, we didn't get enough rubber on net because the team doesn't have enough capable play driving forwards and our defense is below average, plus the Panthers defended Kucherov, Point, Duclair extremely well. All of that meant less possession time and just a bunch of "hope" clear attempts to get the puck out. The cap did its toll, but BriseBois letting several walk and trading away a few others, only to bring in guys like Sheary and Jeannot, really hurt this team in the short and medium term.

Last edited:
Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Vasi was fine. We just aren't as deep as fl is and matched up horribly. I think we all knew this wouldn't be easy. I'm pretty sure I had picked fl in 5 or 6. I think my point was that we aren't so unmatched to the point of rebuilding. I mean we did get destroyed but we could adjust and be the better team next year. This year was kinda weird how we kinda owned Boston but Boston knows how to play fl well. Match ups are a thing. Playoffs can be a weird thing.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
The cap did its toll, but BriseBois letting several walk and trading away a few others, only to bring in guys like Sheary and Jeannot, really hurt this team in the short and medium term.

ummm it's entirely the cap. if there was no cap, we could have kept everyone. if there was no cap, we wouldn't have to make a reach for players with questionable capacity to up their game, like sheary and jeannot.

JBB gambled on several players and it didn't work out, just like he gambled on others and it did. we just have to hope he has a few more good ones left in him in the next few off seasons.

Reactions: DFC and Crunchrulz

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Bobrovsky was below .900 in major part because the Lightning didn't get a ton of shots on net, but scored on enough to make the numbers looked worse. And Bobrovsky's game 4 hurt the numbers for sure.

Just shows again, we didn't get enough rubber on net because the team doesn't have enough capable play driving forwards and our defense is below average, plus the Panthers defended Kucherov, Point, Duclair extremely well. All of that meant less possession time and just a bunch of "hope" clear attempts to get the puck out. The cap did its toll, but BriseBois letting several walk and trading away a few others, only to bring in guys like Sheary and Jeannot, really hurt this team in the short and medium term.
Despite their dominance in stretches I don't think the Panthers shot a crazy amount either. Most of their scoring came directly off turnovers from forechecking, not volume shooting.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Despite their dominance in stretches I don't think the Panthers shot a crazy amount either. Most of their scoring came directly off turnovers from forechecking, not volume shooting.
I think I saw that the Panthers dumped the puck in more than anyone this season.

Having a passive forecheck is fine and all, but if your opponent likes dumping and retrieving, you need to account for that.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
The OEL goal in Game 4 was soft, but the only really bad one he gave up

Reactions: CupsOverCash

NJBolt

May 1, 2024
Goalies are funny. After 21' everyone was saying Brobrovsky was washed up and the Panthers were trying to unload his contract to hand the job to Spencer Knight.

I imagine they are glad that didn't work out.

Edmonton is the poster child of what an all-star team looks like without a good goalie. Will McDavid ever win a cup?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

1-2-2 and 1-1-3 really aren't all that different, but I think that it's simpler to forecheck aggressively with a 1-2-2, and then keep the formation in the neutral zone, or turn into a 1-4.

If we were trying to out-tactic everybody, we'd be back playing a 1-3-1.

Last edited:
Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Goalies are funny. After 21' everyone was saying Brobrovsky was washed up and the Panthers were trying to unload his contract to hand the job to Spencer Knight.

I imagine they are glad that didn't work out.

Edmonton is the poster child of what an all-star team looks like without a good goalie. Will McDavid ever win a cup?

Edmonton is an All Star team now? Must've missed it between hearing how they're a 1 line team with no defense every season. Who's their all star defenseman again? Darnell Nurse?

The "poster child" for an all star team without a good goalie is Colorado.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Nick Paul and Brandon Hagel to Canada.

Palat and Rutta to Czech.

North Americans tend to go to the World championship to get drunk for 2 weeks and play a little hockey in the meantime, but Dubois will take that to another level. Especially with the tournament being in the city with the best beer in the world. What are the chances he doesn't even remember to take his hockey gear with him?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
North Americans tend to go to the World championship to get drunk for 2 weeks and play a little hockey in the meantime, but Dubois will take that to another level. Especially with the tournament being in the city with the best beer in the world. What are the chances he doesn't even remember to take his hockey gear with him?
I’m out of the loop, is Dubois a known party boy?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I've had a lot of time to think it over. If we're gonna suck we need to just let it happen. I know I said that already. But Stamkos and Hedman are legitimately old AF now in hockey years and the idea of winning a championship with Stamkos and Hedman at 34 and 35 as our cornerstones is insane. That is the kind of crap Pittsburgh wakes up and snorts every morning but I argue our situation is far better. The Lightning as a whole need to accept that guys like them Point, Vasy and Kucherov will soon be the secondary pieces of the next championship puzzle now. And that is okay. Now, this like year 11 of the window. Unless our boys in Syracuse are literally gonna pull 2016 reload weight, we need to just accept that it is closed for now. And that is okay.

That doesn't mean "gobble gobble oMg tradez Kucherov11!!!1!!!" more like the HOFers just reprise the role of St. Louis and Lecavalier in 2011 and 2012. If we are out of answers, look like shit every night and can't even crack .500 at Christmas then just trade your Cirellis, Pauls, Cernaks, Sergachevs and pick 6th overall. THAT'S the guy we need that we can't get right now.

Who cares? 4 trips to the Finals and a back to back. Haters can bite our ass. It's not like we won't be back. I have unconditional trust that if we go that route, we are going to kill it. It wouldn't take more than a few years and in the meantime we get to watch glorious stat padding for our hall of famers.

Last edited:

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Anyone able to get a good shot of the Northern Lights?

This was my attempt.

fqjZlrL.png

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I've had a lot of time to think it over. If we're gonna suck we need to just let it happen. I know I said that already. But Stamkos and Hedman are legitimately old AF now in hockey years and the idea of winning a championship with Stamkos and Hedman at 34 and 35 as our cornerstones is insane. That is the kind of crap Pittsburgh wakes up and snorts every morning but I argue our situation is far better. The Lightning as a whole need to accept that guys like them Point, Vasy and Kucherov will soon be the secondary pieces of the next championship puzzle now. And that is okay. Now, this like year 11 of the window. Unless our boys in Syracuse are literally gonna pull 2016 reload weight, we need to just accept that it is closed for now. And that is okay.

That doesn't mean "gobble gobble oMg tradez Kucherov11!!!1!!!" more like the HOFers just reprise the role of St. Louis and Lecavalier in 2011 and 2012. If we are out of answers, look like shit every night and can't even crack .500 at Christmas then just trade your Cirellis, Pauls, Cernaks, Sergachevs and pick 6th overall. THAT'S the guy we need that we can't get right now.

Who cares? 4 trips to the Finals and a back to back. Haters can bite our ass. It's not like we won't be back. I have unconditional trust that if we go that route, we are going to kill it. It wouldn't take more than a few years and in the meantime we get to watch glorious stat padding for our hall of famers.
Great points the thing is there are two ways to rebuild. Like the Rangers have or the route Buffalo has been on for a decade same with the Oil. Kuch, Point, are in the win now age group. Realistically who will be the core guys in 5 years? Now is this supporting a scorched earth? The fan base does has higher expectations than to make the playoffs and bow out in round one. Not bad enough to get top 5 picks not good enough to make a run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad