Prospect Info: #41OA - Hurricanes select RW Noel Gunler (Luleå HF - SHL)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He’s been the pick I’ve liked since the draft, but man both he and Gunler are raising their games at the best time possible. Have to think if they did the redraft Pono would already be climbing higher than the third round. Don’t know if Gunler could easily change the negative aspects of his image that led to him dropping, but Pono’s questions were offensive ceiling and he got off to a great start.

I like the picks of both.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
He’s been the pick I’ve liked since the draft, but man both he and Gunler are raising their games at the best time possible. Have to think if they did the redraft Pono would already be climbing higher than the third round. Don’t know if Gunler could easily change the negative aspects of his image that led to him dropping, but Pono’s questions were offensive ceiling and he got off to a great start.

I like the picks of both.
easy to forget since he was the Canes' 3rd pick of the draft, but Pono was drafted at #52 in the 2nd round. and I totally agree with you about the questions about his offensive ceiling. both @CanesProspects on twitter and Darren Yorke himself have talked about so many of the questions about Ponomaryov's offensive ceilng arise from the role he was asked to fill with Shawinigan, and that he clearly has more to give. and I guess that's exactly what he's showing in the WJC so far. add to that his general attitude in his intermission interview the other day, and his willingness to play "garbage hockey" on the 4th line, and you've got the makings of a great Cane imo.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
easy to forget since he was the Canes' 3rd pick of the draft, but Pono was drafted at #52 in the 2nd round. and I totally agree with you about the questions about his offensive ceiling. both @CanesProspects on twitter and Darren Yorke himself have talked about so many of the questions about Ponomaryov's offensive ceilng arise from the role he was asked to fill with Shawinigan, and that he clearly has more to give. and I guess that's exactly what he's showing in the WJC so far. add to that his general attitude in his intermission interview the other day, and his willingness to play "garbage hockey" on the 4th line, and you've got the makings of a great Cane imo.
Thanks for correcting me, he was a third rounder in my head.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It wasn't the prettiest of games for Gunler. He actually seemed to be shooting off net most of the night. But he managed to put the puck in the general direction of the net with a guy driving there for an assist and to get to the top of the crease in an important end of game situation to have it bounce in off of him.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Now imagine JStaal taking those shots...
source.gif

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm cautiously optimistic; the caution comes from remembering the ghosts of Zykov and Sareela. Not saying Gunler's game is similar, just that the other two were also good scorers at lower levels.
He's a more pure shooter than either I think and I definitely think despite him being a little awkward he's the best skater of the bunch.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I definitely think despite him being a little awkward he's the best skater of the bunch.

This is what I think gives Gunler a leg up, so to speak, on those mentioned before as well as current guys like Puistola. Both Gunler and Puistola can put the puck in the net, but Puistola’s skating may hold him back.

Also, Gunler has an ideal frame for a big winger, even if he never really embraces the physical game.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Canes are also getting him at a much earlier stage. Here's hoping they can influence his development towards what Brindy is gonna need in a forward.
I understand once a player gets drafted, the NHL team is somewhat hands-on with his development from then on. They send the player videos and instructions etc. on what to concentrate on. I don't see an euroteam coach can ignore that.

The transfer fee of ~$230k the team gets if a SPC is signed* is a big incentive to try to develop a player to the direction the NHL team wants, because there's always a risk the talented player can ditch for the KHL for free once his contract is up.

* I don't know the technicalities on when the money actually gets paid.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I understand once a player gets drafted, the NHL team is somewhat hands-on with his development from then on. They send the player videos and instructions etc. on what to concentrate on. I don't see an euroteam coach can ignore that.

The transfer fee of ~$230k the team gets if a SPC is signed* is a big incentive to try to develop a player to the direction the NHL team wants, because there's always a risk the talented player can ditch for the KHL for free once his contract is up.

* I don't know the technicalities on when the money actually gets paid.
I thought the transfer fee was a concern if the player is still on contract with the European squad. That is why European teams sign a young guy until 1-2 years past their first draft eligibility year in hopes they develop and become a NHL necessity. Is that your understanding? Maybe I misinterpreting your point.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I thought the transfer fee was a concern if the player is still on contract with the European squad. That is why European teams sign a young guy until 1-2 years past their first draft eligibility year in hopes they develop and become a NHL necessity. Is that your understanding? Maybe I misinterpreting your point.
All you write is correct. In Finland the top guys seem to be signed for three year contract at 17 as a rule.

My point was pretty much exactly that euro teams have incentive to develop the guys to be NA ready while they are under their contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad