Prospect Info: #40OA - Hurricanes select RHD Scott Morrow

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
from what I recall reading Jack's father was FAR more the issue in that situation, felt that going to Carolina would limit endorsement opportunities and the like. May have been right but also pretty telling with how everything played out in that situation that he needed to cut ties far sooner than he was able to.

Reads like he was concerned with how much money he’d be able to steal from his son already :laugh: Crazy to think about it in hindsight.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I ain't got much anything so I just spitball this: Morrow is 20 now with a November birthday. ELC signing age is determined by player's age on September 15th on the calendar year he signs his ELC.

If he signs this spring 2023 at 20, his ELC would be 3 years and he would get to burn the first year.
If he signs in the next spring 2024 at 21 (after third year in college), his ELC would be 3 years and he would get to burn the first year.
If he signs in the spring 2025 at 22 (after four years in college), his ELC would be 2 years and he would get to burn the first year.
If he goes college UFA and signs in 2025 after August 15th at 23, his ELC would be 2 years.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah I'm definitely in favor of closing the loophole that allows players to just ghost on the team which drafted them.
It very much is not a loophole.

A regular NA player can not sign and after two years re-enter the draft and again not sign and become a draft-related UFA on June 2 of the fourth year after being drafted the first time.

An Euro player can not sign and become a draft-related UFA on June 2 of the fourth year after being drafted.

An NCAA player actually stays longer under the drafting team control than either and can't become a draft-related UFA until August 16 of the fourth year after being drafted. In some cases the drafting team control lasts even longer.

The NCAA players totally not need to be punished for opting to do something sensible with their life and going to college instead of going all in with the elusive dream of some day becoming a top-1000 ice kendo player in the world.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
It very much is not a loophole.

A regular NA player can not sign and after two years re-enter the draft and again not sign and become a draft-related UFA on June 2 of the fourth year after being drafted the first time.

An Euro player can not sign and become a draft-related UFA on June 2 of the fourth year after being drafted.

An NCAA player actually stays longer under the drafting team control than either and can't become a draft-related UFA until August 16 of the fourth year after being drafted. In some cases the drafting team control lasts even longer.

The NCAA players totally not need to be punished for opting to do something sensible with their life and going to college instead of going all in with the elusive dream of some day becoming a top-1000 ice kendo player in the world.

That's fine and all, but my proposal is that any player who is drafted by an NHL team should be bound to that team upon entry to the league, or to whichever team that player's rights are traded to. None of this shit like with Fox where he bounced to 2 teams before ending up in his preferred destination, and that happening for pennies because everyone knew he was just going to sign there in a couple months anyway. If a player doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him, by all means, hold out, but no clock starts in regards to their rights running out until that first contract is signed and they start participating with the team.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
That's fine and all, but my proposal is that any player who is drafted by an NHL team should be bound to that team upon entry to the league, or to whichever team that player's rights are traded to. None of this shit like with Fox where he bounced to 2 teams before ending up in his preferred destination, and that happening for pennies because everyone knew he was just going to sign there in a couple months anyway. If a player doesn't want to play for the team that drafted him, by all means, hold out, but no clock starts in regards to their rights running out until that first contract is signed and they start participating with the team.
I know it sucks when it happens, but should we really be punishing a player...who had no choice in whether or not they were drafted nor whom they were drafted by? I do think it'd be great if there was some sort of draft compensation for teams this happens to, but I struggle to hold it against the players. Maybe some sort of arbitration to determine what draft pick should be awarded (either from the team like an offer-sheet or just as an added awarded pick). Could you imagine if you had no choice in your employer, but instead got drafted? No choice in what company, where it's located, etc...you just have to go or forgo a paycheck for years or go overseas for less overall money. I think most players do have some sense of loyalty to the team that drafted them, but I could hardly blame a guy who might not care to play in front of 5,000 people, or in a shitty city, or overcrowded/heavily watched city, or a non-traditional market, or poorly run organization, or one with a history of hazing/abuse.

TLDR: It sucks, should be some compensation, don't punish player.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I know it sucks when it happens, but should we really be punishing a player...who had no choice in whether or not they were drafted nor whom they were drafted by? I do think it'd be great if there was some sort of draft compensation for teams this happens to, but I struggle to hold it against the players. Maybe some sort of arbitration to determine what draft pick should be awarded (either from the team like an offer-sheet or just as an added awarded pick). Could you imagine if you had no choice in your employer, but instead got drafted? No choice in what company, where it's located, etc...you just have to go or forgo a paycheck for years or go overseas for less overall money. I think most players do have some sense of loyalty to the team that drafted them, but I could hardly blame a guy who might not care to play in front of 5,000 people, or in a shitty city, or overcrowded/heavily watched city, or a non-traditional market, or poorly run organization, or one with a history of hazing/abuse.

TLDR: It sucks, should be some compensation, don't punish player.
As I said, I'm fine if a player wants to hold out and force his way into a trade. That's fine, and at least allows the team that has his contract rights to get fair compensation via a deal, because there isn't a looming deadline where the player can just opt out without ever partaking.

But at the end of the day this is a sports league and the best way for the league itself to remain solvent is to ensure all teams get equal opportunity to bring in the best players and close these loopholes where kids coming in can just force their way into big market teams, completely f***ing over everyone else. If you want to have control over where you go, either wait for your turn in UFA, or go work in another field.

Now, along with this, if we are going that forced direction, I would also be very much in favor of eliminating RFA statuses and just getting players straight to UFA sooner. You can't ask for concessions up front without giving something back.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
As I said, I'm fine if a player wants to hold out and force his way into a trade. That's fine, and at least allows the team that has his contract rights to get fair compensation via a deal, because there isn't a looming deadline where the player can just opt out without ever partaking.

But at the end of the day this is a sports league and the best way for the league itself to remain solvent is to ensure all teams get equal opportunity to bring in the best players and close these loopholes where kids coming in can just force their way into big market teams, completely f***ing over everyone else. If you want to have control over where you go, either wait for your turn in UFA, or go work in another field.

Now, along with this, if we are going that forced direction, I would also be very much in favor of eliminating RFA statuses and just getting players straight to UFA sooner. You can't ask for concessions up front without giving something back.

I'm sure there would be 1000 reasons it'd be too tough to do from a legal/bargaining perspective (@Lempo)... but could you do a compensatory pick process like exists in some other leagues? Or alternately, rather than inventing a draft pick out of thin air, could you create a compensation structure similar to RFAs? Meaning, teams have to actually be willing to give something up in order to get your college FA player, even if the player really wants to go there? Idk.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm sure there would be 1000 reasons it'd be too tough to do from a legal/bargaining perspective (@Lempo)... but could you do a compensatory pick process like exists in some other leagues? Or alternately, rather than inventing a draft pick out of thin air, could you create a compensation structure similar to RFAs? Meaning, teams have to actually be willing to give something up in order to get your college FA player, even if the player really wants to go there? Idk.

I don't think there would be much issue if they wanted to go that way. Just set up the rules and go with it.

The compensatory picks for unsignable first rounders do already exist under the NHL CBA, it's no alien concept.

8.3 Compensatory Draft Selections.

(a) In addition to the seven (7) rounds of the Entry Draft, there shall be an additional number of Compensatory Draft Selections not to exceed the number of Clubs to be in the League in the following League Year.

(b) In the event a Club loses its draft rights to an Unsigned Draft Choice drafted in the first round of the Entry Draft (except as a result of failing to tender a required Bona Fide Offer (as defined below)), who (i) is again eligible for the Entry Draft, (ii) becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent, or (iii) dies, a Compensatory Draft Selection shall automatically be granted to that Club, which Compensatory Draft Selection shall be the same numerical choice in the second round in the Entry Draft immediately following the date the Club loses such rights. By way of example, if a Club cannot sign the third pick in the first round, it will receive the third pick in the second round as compensation.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I don't think there would be much issue if they wanted to go that way. Just set up the rules and go with it.

The compensatory picks for unsignable first rounders do already exist under the NHL CBA, it's no alien concept.

Wow I didn’t know that.

Would Lou or someone ever put a hit out on a guy like Paradis or someone who’s a total bust in order to get a 2nd round draft pick?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The existence of that article does suggest that NHL/NHLPA have actively pondered on it and have deemed that only the unsigned first rounders need to be compensated.

Probably they have felt that they rather have the after-market for unsignable 2-7 round picks where the rights may get traded to another team for a return than have the teams sit on their unsignables and get the compensatory picks for them instead.

It wouldn't be a good look for NHL if there was repeated mentions of selectees who would not sign with their drafting team in the NHL Entry Draft broadcast, whenever a team was on the clock for a compensatory pick

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The existence of that article does suggest that NHL/NHLPA have actively pondered on it and have deemed that only the unsigned first rounders need to be compensated.

Probably they have felt that they rather have the after-market for unsignable 2-7 round picks where the rights may get traded to another team for a return than have the teams sit on their unsignables and get the compensatory picks for them instead.

It wouldn't be a good look for NHL if there was repeated mentions of selectees who would not sign with their drafting team in the NHL Entry Draft broadcast, whenever a team was on the clock for a compensatory pick
I much prefer the baseball method of compensatory picks. Still not perfect, but I like the idea that if say the Coyotes draft Blake Wheeler at #5 and he decides he'd rather sign elsewhere, instead of being awarded the #37 draft pick in the draft after his rights expire, the Coyotes would be awarded the #6 pick in that draft presuming that the contract they offered him was within a certain percentage of the slot signing bonus/contract. IIRC baseball does that for the first 5 rounds of the draft but since their draft is hella long for hockey it should probably be something like the first 3 rounds.

As you mentioned it's not the best look for the NHL in that regard on the draft broadcast, but the flip side is that it doesn't happen nearly as often as in baseball due to the NHL ELC structure. A highly touted prospect can make the NHL at 18-19 and hit UFA at 25-26, compared to in baseball it often doesn't happen until the players 30s due to a ridiculous number of minor league option years, etc that teams use to f*** over prospects.

Brent Burns Beard