Prospect Info: #40OA - Hurricanes select RHD Scott Morrow

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Not great, Bob. This is slightly worrisome.

However, logically, him coming out next season when the only RD under contract being 40+ Burns makes some sense. He’d have a much better shot at making the NHL roster then when compared to next year when the whole current right side is manned by Burns/Pesce/Chatfield. Maybe he is not at all interested in playing an AHL season and figures his junior year would be more productive.

Regardless, I thought he would be turning pro. It seems like it would make the most sense for his development. He’d get more games against better competition in the AHL. I still would rather they hold onto him and see if they can coax him out of school next year, but if the right trade presents itself, the fact that he’s one year closer to pulling an Adam Fox makes him much more available in my eyes. Who knows what the front office thinks.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The college life is better than AHL life. Doesn’t mean its a bad thing but not anything to get excited about either.

It doesn’t necessarily mean his trade value is lowered. The team acquiring him would want him to sign more than likely.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I guess if I was in his shoes, the Canes have Burns, Pesce and Chatfield all under contract for next season. It means if he signs, he's going to the AHL on an AHL team that has a history of prioritizing vets over young player development, particularly for a guy like him with (reportedly) a lot of rawness to his game). Big man on campus with top minutes vs. AHL? I don't know, I'd probably be tempted to make the same decision he did. A lot of non 1st round players have made the jump directly from NCAA to the NHL so it's not like he's playing against kids in Junior hockey. Slavin, Pesce, Fox, Faulk, Ghost, McAvoy (1st rounder), etc...all pretty much made the jump directly out of NCAA after developing there.

I have no idea what his long term intentions are, but trading him because we don't think we'd be able to sign him means a lot of teams would have the same concern and would lower his value to a lot of teams as well. See how it plays out.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I know this is bad asset management but I'm becoming of the opinion you don't trade these players and burn another year of the career just for pure pettiness. You get another lower round pick as comp right? So like a 3rd?

Reactions: DaveG

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I know this is bad asset management but I'm becoming of the opinion you don't trade these players and burn another year of the career just for pure pettiness. You get another lower round pick as comp right? So like a 3rd?
The compensation you speak of is only for first rounders who aren’t signed (which is quite a rare thing). Morrow was a second rounder so if he won’t sign we don’t get anything. The only way to recoup some value would be to trade his rights.

Reactions: DaveG

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
It’s hard to say what would’ve happened with JMFJ. I mean, we know he didn’t want to sign in the spring of ‘06 but I honestly can’t remember all these years later if there was any indication that he just plain didn’t want to play for us.

Reactions: geehaad and DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It’s hard to say what would’ve happened with JMFJ. I mean, we know he didn’t want to sign in the spring of ‘06 but I honestly can’t remember all these years later if there was any indication that he just plain didn’t want to play for us.
from what I recall reading Jack's father was FAR more the issue in that situation, felt that going to Carolina would limit endorsement opportunities and the like. May have been right but also pretty telling with how everything played out in that situation that he needed to cut ties far sooner than he was able to.

Reactions: Stickpucker

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This is not a player who has nothing to learn at the NCAA level, especially defensively. This is the right move for him. If wants to go back for his senior year I’d understand trading him, but getting anxious and doing it now out of asset protection doesn’t make any sense to me.

This isn’t weird. He chose high school hockey instead of challenging himself during covid, there’s been mentions of improving maturity. This most likely the right choice by a notable margin.

JJ promised Michigan from day one he would play two years. He didn’t scorn us, he just said he wanted to do the second year he had promised Red. We panicked after winning the cup and traded him for immediate help after free agency kicked us in the ding ding. He would’ve left for us if we had been patient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad