Prospect Info: #40OA - Hurricanes select RHD Scott Morrow

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Why wouldn’t he have value if he doesn’t want to sign? They got 2 2nd rounders for Fox and no one knew he’d be so good so quickly.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
More than 75% unfortunately. That part of the state was inexplicably part of the Rangers cable rights.

Inexplicably? It’s 35 miles from Stamford to MSG and a commuter train that can take you directly to the arena from there.

Yeah, sorry bleed. Scott Morrow was born in November of 2002. He doesn’t know a world without the Canes having made a Stanley Cup Final, let alone a world where the Whalers exist…

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Inexplicably? It’s 35 miles from Stamford to MSG and a commuter train that can take you directly to the arena from there.
It’s a different state. When the state of CT is tiny. Catering to the Rangers and not allowing the Whalers to promote their team in their own state seems right to you? It was a third of the state, and I said “that part of the state” not Stamford specifically.

Yeah, sorry bleed. Scott Morrow was born in November of 2002. He doesn’t know a world without the Canes having made a Stanley Cup Final, let alone a world where the Whalers exist…
Lol I’m not talking about Morrow specifically, just the concept of an entire area already being strong Ranger country which was reinforced by the league. He grew up in that environment.

Reactions: DaveG

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It’s a different state. When the state of CT is tiny. Catering to the Rangers and not allowing the Whalers to promote their team in their own state seems right to you? It was a third of the state, and I said “that part of the state” not Stamford specifically.

Lol I’m not talking about Morrow specifically, just the concept of an entire area already being strong Ranger country which was reinforced by the league. He grew up in that environment.
Catering to the Rangers in that regard was probably part of the deal to even let them exist as an NHL franchise, so yes that does seem right to me. The Rangers and Bruins both never wanted them in the league in the first place.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Catering to the Rangers in that regard was probably part of the deal to even let them exist as an NHL franchise, so yes that does seem right to me. The Rangers and Bruins both never wanted them in the league in the first place.
If there was a team in South Carolina and one third of North Carolina was considered their cable territory I don’t think it would be viewed as appropriate. They joined the league in 79, hard to say when cable agreements were made. It was an issue during the last few years of the team and was fought against, I think maybe even by PK who if memory serves was incredulous about it. By that time any deal made in the 70’s or early 80’s should’ve been able to be amended for obvious reasons.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
It’s a different state, but it’s also a part of the state that was getting NYC tv and radio stations over the air before cable. Not getting NYC stations, and cable stations, in Fairfield County was not going to fly.

And if the state of CT was the desired area for the Whalers, then maybe Hartford should have an AM station that can cover Fairfield County?

WTIC_AM_LN.gif

As someone who grew up in Fairfield County, I can tell you I would have been hooked on listening to Chuck on the radio if I could get a reliable signal. I couldn’t hear the game most nights, so I went to WFAN and listened to Ranger games. I also couldn’t get the Whalers Sportschannel with cable as you mentioned above; I got MSG. But radio was a similar issue.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Isn't CT just full of NYers that want to avoid living in NY? Whether that be for tax reasons, school reasons, or whatever?
I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not.

As others have said along the west border of course there’s a lot of would be NY’ers. Classifying even that area as pretty much nothing (or “full of”) but that is an interesting statement. For the rest of the state there’s none of that really going on. I lived in the middle and had no concept of that growing up, and never knew anyone with direct NY ties.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It’s a different state, but it’s also a part of the state that was getting NYC tv and radio stations over the air before cable. Not getting NYC stations, and cable stations, in Fairfield County was not going to fly.

And if the state of CT was the desired area for the Whalers, then maybe Hartford should have an AM station that can cover Fairfield County?

WTIC_AM_LN.gif

As someone who grew up in Fairfield County, I can tell you I would have been hooked on listening to Chuck on the radio if I could get a reliable signal. I couldn’t hear the game most nights, so I went to WFAN and listened to Ranger games. I also couldn’t get the Whalers Sportschannel with cable as you mentioned above; I got MSG. But radio was a similar issue.
Well that’s what I’m saying. It’s one thing for it to be NY biased, it’s another to not allow the state’s team to be broadcast on tv in a third of the state….to protect the rights of a team in the next state.

Sure radio would’ve been nice but I don’t know that you’re getting a ton of traction purely on that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not.

As others have said along the west border of course there’s a lot of would be NY’ers. Classifying even that area as pretty much nothing (or “full of”) but that is an interesting statement. For the rest of the state there’s none of that really going on. I lived in the middle and had no concept of that growing up, and never knew anyone with direct NY ties.

So what you are saying is CT is just like a suburb of NY?

Reactions: Unsustainable

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Well that’s what I’m saying. It’s one thing for it to be NY biased, it’s another to not allow the state’s team to be broadcast on tv in a third of the state….to protect the rights of a team in the next state.

Sure radio would’ve been nice but I don’t know that you’re getting a ton of traction purely on that.
My point is if Hartford doesn’t even have a radio station that covers Fairfield County, then maybe Fairfield County was never part of the greater Hartford area?

Using state boundaries for team rights is just as arbitrary. Should Philadelphia suburbs in NJ not be considered part of the Philadelphia area?

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad