Music: 40 years of Metallica

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Snagged lower bowl to Montreal! Buddy of mine has some hook ups and says he can get us into the snakepit for one of the shows for free. Can't wait!

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
“Lux Eterna” > “Screaming Suicide”

Musically anyways.

However, for a fun little tune that’s supposed to be a nod to Metallica’s love of NWOBHM, it sounds way way too f***ing clean.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I am loving the album, listened to it from start to end multiple times now and it's great overall.

Dec 29, 2004
So, about a half a bottle of wine in...

I was looking at Kill'em all. I read the track sheet and when I came to 'No Remorse' I said to myself, 'this is the one'.

Yup. Perfect.

Reactions: Hippasus

Dec 29, 2004
Ok, first of all.. how is this on page 3... wtf?

Secondly, I just watched some clips of 2023 from Gothenberg and was confused. Then I watched a show from 1986 in Denmark (Cliff was still alive) and was like 'is this even the same band?' No.

Thirdly, found the last time they weren't old and busted... (Hey, it happens to everyone sooner or later)

Thank me later.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown

Secondly, I just watched some clips of 2023 from Gothenberg and was confused. Then I watched a show from 1986 in Denmark (Cliff was still alive) and was like 'is this even the same band?' No.

Thirdly, found the last time they weren't old and busted... (Hey, it happens to everyone sooner or later)

Thank me later.

Arrgghh I had tickets for that weekend event and had to back out last minute due to work sending me out of town. Still perturbed about that.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
Snagged lower bowl to Montreal! Buddy of mine has some hook ups and says he can get us into the snakepit for one of the shows for free. Can't wait!
I'll be in Montreal too!

I am kinda of regretting not getting snake pit tickets now but I still will be on the floor

Reactions: Metroid

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

Thank me later.

Unfortunately, RTL, MOP and AJFA are much better albums than KEA imo. James isn't even in good voice there; so yeah, that's pretty far from a perfect set.

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Thank me later.

hahaha

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I saw an observation on a metal forum that essentially said that this release hasn't landed with the same impact as previous Metallica releases. I kind of wonder if Metallica's cultural niche is eroding.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I saw an observation on a metal forum that essentially said that this release hasn't landed with the same impact as previous Metallica releases. I kind of wonder if Metallica's cultural niche is eroding.
In what way? It has mostly positive reviews from the industry and opened at no2 on the Billboard top 200 albums. One of the biggest positives that is generally praised is Hetfield and his lyrics on this one.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
In what way? It has mostly positive reviews from the industry and opened at no2 on the Billboard top 200 albums. One of the biggest positives that is generally praised is Hetfield and his lyrics on this one.

I’m a massive Metallica fan and I enjoy 72 Seasons but it really hasn’t hit me as much as previous albums. It’s a very consistently good album but it lacks a couple of modern classic songs like the last 2 had for me (The Day That Never Comes, All Nightmare Long, Moth into Flame and Spit out the Bone come to mind).

It a damn good album, especially this late in their career but it’s just missing a standout track, and a few sections could have been trimmed down IMO. The only song I skip is Crown of Barbed Wire, but I’m not super in love with Inamorata yet either. I love Metallica songs like that (Bleeding Me, The Outlaw Torn, Fixxxer) but I just feels like it’s missing something I can’t quite put my finger on

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I just saw an awesome documentary of early Metallica on Youtube last night. Metallica and Mechanix: the origins of thrash metal, or something like that. Lots of video footage, interviews, and Dave Mustaine.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
This band's longevity is quite good, I haven't heard their new album but Hardwired in 2016 was pretty solid with some songs I like.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I’m a massive Metallica fan and I enjoy 72 Seasons but it really hasn’t hit me as much as previous albums. It’s a very consistently good album but it lacks a couple of modern classic songs like the last 2 had for me (The Day That Never Comes, All Nightmare Long, Moth into Flame and Spit out the Bone come to mind).

It a damn good album, especially this late in their career but it’s just missing a standout track, and a few sections could have been trimmed down IMO. The only song I skip is Crown of Barbed Wire, but I’m not super in love with Inamorata yet either. I love Metallica songs like that (Bleeding Me, The Outlaw Torn, Fixxxer) but I just feels like it’s missing something I can’t quite put my finger on

I think its a fair observation. I like the album but no track has stuck out to me as a classic.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Saw them both nights on the final stop of the tour. As always, a great show. Heard a song or two I hadn't seen live before which was nice, even though they took the spots of otherwise-preferable songs.

I also got to meet James at a book-signing, which was quite a treat as he so rarely does such a thing. He put out a book about his guitars and their stories, and I was lucky enough to grab a ticket for the event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad