Music: 40 years of Metallica

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
That concert they did in Moscow in 1991 just prior to the fall of the USSR, along with Pantera and others...that was legendary. The authorities didn't know how to handle anything like that. Some Russian kids literally died for metal that day, and that might be the most metal thing of all.

Pantera were also on that ‘91 Monsters of Rock bill in Moscow ironically. :laugh:

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Hopefully the new album is more consistent than Hardwired. The first half is fire and then it drops off badly after Dream No More and doesn't find itself again until Spit out the Bone.
What's wrong with "Halo on Fire"? A highlight on the album for me, and I know I'm not the only one at that. Certainly better than "Lux Æterna" imo.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Spot on assessment on Metallica.

Kill Em’ All - Justice = perfection. Even though yes..the production on “Justice” is utter dogshit. And I say that as a fan of a shit-ton of old school Death metal and Norwegian Black Metal :laugh: Plus then there’s the whole “Newsted bass” (or lack thereof) debacle… :eyeroll:

The Black Album…ehh. Is it a true Metallica album? Arguably no. Is it a decent hard rock album? Sure. I’ll jam it every now and again but skip the “big hits.”

Frankly if I never heard “Sad But True” or “Enter Sandman” ever again…that’s OK by me.

Plus as Youtube can show us, Metallica still were great live onstage up until about ‘93
Being way to hard. the Black album is a great album and arguably opened up metal to a wider audience. They have had great love performances since 1993 that's for sure. They also have a number of great songs and solid albums From Load until Hardwired. They tried to evolve their sound with Load and Reload realizing that grunge and alternative was killing metal in the 90s and I thing both of those albums are underrated.

This whole "they sold out" is bullshit. Being successful, selling albums, having large tours, is not selling out it's making money which is the goal for pretty much any person who becomes a professional musician.

I mean music tastes changed, for a long time in the late 80s until the mid 90s they were arguably my favorite band, so from the age of 12 to about 20 then they fell back a bit. For years now Tool has been my favorite band but Metallica is still in the top 10.

Gotta love the Soviet guards bashing the f*** out of those evil….beer bottles??? :laugh: :help:

To this day people are amazed at them playing in front of an estimate 1M people.

If you look for reaction videos on you tube to that show you can see how it blows people's minds. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=reaction+to+metallica+moscow+1991

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Can’t find the price for GA tickets in Montreal yet but lower bowl tickets for the 2 nights is $367 + tax. VIP packages depending what you want are anywhere from $800 to $5000

Last edited:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Can’t find the price for GA tickets in Montreal yet but lower bowl tickets for the 2 nights is $367 + tax. VIP packages depending what you want are anyways from $800 to $5000
What I expected and will go up on secondary market as they get bought out by professional resellers...the concert/live show area is a mess and screws over the average joe all the time now.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Being way to hard. the Black album is a great album and arguably opened up metal to a wider audience.
I will never be able to get over the resemblance to Spinal Tap's Smell the Glove.

Not a huge fan, but anytime I've seen Robert Trujillo he seems like a good guy.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I will never be able to get over the resemblance to Spinal Tap's Smell the Glove.

Not a huge fan, but anytime I've seen Robert Trujillo he seems like a good guy.
His son is actually and good young bassist! He was shown in one of Davies504 videos on You Tube about young bassists.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Just got 5th Member access tickets for the floor for Detroit for myself, my 8-year-old, and my best friend 🤘
what, how? my 5th member code wont be accepted for another 2 hours
Edit: Looks like they go on sale at different times depending on the venue

Last edited:

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
What's wrong with "Halo on Fire"? A highlight on the album for me, and I know I'm not the only one at that. Certainly better than "Lux Æterna" imo.
It just doesn't resonate with me. Only way I can really explain it.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Missed out on GA for LA because hadn’t gotten paid yet to do the Legacy presale. I may take a trip to Arizona though. GA tix are cheaper at 285

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I never saw them live but this guy told me they were absolute animals from when he saw them on stage around 1986.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Being way to hard. the Black album is a great album and arguably opened up metal to a wider audience.
Why do I personally care, for example, if metal is opened up to a wider audience though?

I know what I like and don't like, I don't need someone else's validation. I should note that this opinion comes from a biased source, as I'm a huge early 80's hardcore punk fan and take the organic discovery of music somewhat seriously for that and other reasons.
They have had great love performances since 1993 that's for sure. They also have a number of great songs and solid albums From Load until Hardwired. They tried to evolve their sound with Load and Reload realizing that grunge and alternative was killing metal in the 90s and I thing both of those albums are underrated.
I get the evolving bit, but those albums to me are almost as unlistenable as Megadeth's "Risk". But that's just an opinion and everyone's got one of those.
This whole "they sold out" is bullshit. Being successful, selling albums, having large tours, is not selling out it's making money which is the goal for pretty much any person who becomes a professional musician.
I am not a professional musician. Why should I care about how much money Metallica makes/made? I care whether or not they are making music I like, not how fat their bank accounts are.

If they make music that is popular and I happen to like it, great.
If they make music that is not popular and I happen to like it, great.
If I don't like the music they're making, I am going to voice that singular opinion, knowing my opinion means nothing. Will I blame them for making popular music I don't like? Of course not, they're great businessmen and this is their career. Will I blame them for selling out? Nope. Will I listen to it? Well, I'll give a try but if I turn out not to like it, the answer is also nope.
I mean music tastes changed, for a long time in the late 80s until the mid 90s they were arguably my favorite band, so from the age of 12 to about 20 then they fell back a bit. For years now Tool has been my favorite band but Metallica is still in the top 10.

To this day people are amazed at them playing in front of an estimate 1M people.

If you look for reaction videos on you tube to that show you can see how it blows people's minds. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=reaction+to+metallica+moscow+1991
That 1991 concert really is the stuff of legends.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
How much is a GA ticket?
For Detroit, floor/GA was $340 after taxes and fees. That's the 2-show/2-day package which was all that's on sale until January.

They say the combo ticket package is cheaper than buying comperable tickets individually when the time comes, so I expect single show GA tickets will be around $160+ before fees.

FWIW seats were anywhere from mid-200s down to 89 I think I saw the cheapest to be. And again, for the 2show combo. They also had a child ticket for anyone up to age 16, but it was a seat only and had to be purchased with an adult ticket. I believe that was $100, less than half the adult ticket to be purchased alongside. If I didn't want my kid to be up front on the floor for the experience, I'd have done that!

Reactions: 93gilmour93

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
I never saw them live but this guy told me they were absolute animals from when he saw them on stage around 1986.

They were. :)

For Detroit, floor/GA was $340 after taxes and fees. That's the 2-show/2-day package which was all that's on sale until January.

They say the combo ticket package is cheaper than buying comperable tickets individually when the time comes, so I expect single show GA tickets will be around $160+ before fees.

FWIW seats were anywhere from mid-200s down to 89 I think I saw the cheapest to be. And again, for the 2show combo. They also had a child ticket for anyone up to age 16, but it was a seat only and had to be purchased with an adult ticket. I believe that was $100, less than half the adult ticket to be purchased alongside. If I didn't want my kid to be up front on the floor for the experience, I'd have done that!

Who are you most stoked for him to see my dude??

• Love
Reactions: Hippasus

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
I got 3 tickets in the lower bowl in Metlife stadium for 1024$. Not terrible considering it’s actually 6 tickets/2 shows. So 170$ a piece isn’t super bloated. Looking forward to the no repeat set list. Hoping for some live deep cuts.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
They were. :)

Who are you most stoked for him to see my dude??

Metallica for sure, a monumental happening for most. I didn't even get to see them myself until I was an adult. He likes Walk from Pantera a lot though, and it'll be quite a deal to see Pantera (such as it is) at all for him. He also loves Zakk so he'll love seeing him, but this'll be his 3rd time so it's not as big a deal.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
It just doesn't resonate with me. Only way I can really explain it.
Heh, no need to explain either; someone's taste in music is something one can't really argue about.

It's just that HoF seems to be one of the best-liked songs on that album.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Heh, no need to explain either; someone's taste in music is something one can't really argue about.

It's just that HoF seems to be one of the best-liked songs on that album.

I really didn’t care for Halo at all until I saw it played at S&M2, then something clicked for me with that song.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad