Post-Game Talk: #40: Islanders at Flyers, Saturday, January 9, 2016

CoutseysCorner92

Jul 19, 2010
Anybody hear anything about Weal? What are the chances we see him against the Bruins? My gut tells me if the Flyers lose on Wednesday, we see Weal in for RJ against the Rangers on Saturday

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
With Monday and Tuesday to practice I think Weal might play against Boston. Hextall must want to see him playing ASAP.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I doubt Hakstol makes a lineup change after how well the team just played.

I don't think we'll see Weal until the Flyers lose; then he'll go in for Umberger.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The whole "don't change the lineup after a win" thing doesn't make any sense. You improve the team whenever possible. By that logic Ghost can't replace Manning until they lose...

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The whole "don't change the lineup after a win" thing doesn't make any sense. You improve the team whenever possible. By that logic Ghost can't replace Manning until they lose...

Ghost is a little different because he's one of the team's leading scorers and best players, and has been a key cog in the team's turnaround.

Weal hasn't played for the team yet and has been mostly an AHLer at this point.

That said, I was only saying what I think Hakstol will do.

Personally, I would have no problem inserting Weal for Umberger.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ghost is a little different because he's one of the team's leading scorers and best players, and has been a key cog in the team's turnaround.

Weal hasn't played for the team yet and has been mostly an AHLer at this point.

That said, I was only saying what I think Hakstol will do.

Personally, I would have no problem inserting Weal for Umberger.

I know, I was saying its ridiculous that coaches have that mentality so often.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I know, I was saying its ridiculous that coaches have that mentality so often.

I think it has a lot to do with trying to maintain harmony in the locker room while winning. You're dealing with high-paid vets with strong personalities and fragile egos. They have less room to cause a disturbance that could unsettle the team if they are pulled after a loss.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
I agree with those saying its a bad mentality for coaches to use the whole cant fix what isn't broke.

We won against min. with ghost but due to injury manning replaced him and we still beat nyi. Small changes don't change the greater good or team as a whole. Replacing one weak link with a stronger option only makes things better.

Weal gagner cousins anyone should be replacing umberger because it makes the team better.

kingjmusicman

Jan 4, 2016
Hope Gostisbehere is kept out for Bruins game, do not need Zacariah to get away with more BS as he did with Couturier....

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hope Gostisbehere is kept out for Bruins game, do not need Zacariah to get away with more BS as he did with Couturier....

If you're purposefully holding good players out because of Rinaldo he won. You made him relevant in the game even before the puck drop.

Gostisbehere might or might not go Wednesday but it won't have anything to do with being scared of Rinaldo doing something.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I think it has a lot to do with trying to maintain harmony in the locker room while winning. You're dealing with high-paid vets with strong personalities and fragile egos. They have less room to cause a disturbance that could unsettle the team if they are pulled after a loss.

In this, case I would agree with keeping the lineup the same. The Read-Laughton-Umberger line played very well the last couple games. Part of it is RJ's size, which Weal doesn't have. Not objecting to give him a chance, but let's see how RJ does vs. Boston with a prospect breathing down his neck and wearing a vets' number to boot. It sounds like Hexy likes Weal, I wouldn't potentially disrupt a winning streak to do it either.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Some thoughts:

Manning played a good game, I know some won't admit it, but no brain farts, some hits, a couple good scoring chances. Manning and Schultz had significantly fewer minutes, they're basically the 3rd pairing.

MDZ is the #1 D-man on this team, plays 2-3 minutes more than anyone every night, he may not be a true #1, but he's a solid top four and might be a top pairing D-man if he keeps improving, I wouldn't rush, but it this continues, an extension will be in the works next fall - with the kids you want a couple veteran defensemen and he's looking like a good fit.

Laughton played more physical than he has since he came up, wonder if Hakstol had a "come to Jesus" talk with him, telling him if he wants a figure skater he can send him back to Allentown and bring up Gagner or Straka. Defense, checking and hitting first, do that on a regular basis and the scoring chances will come, don't, and no coach will carry you through your inevitable scoring slumps.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He managed to get thru a game without making a calamitous defensive error, but still struggled to move the puck out of his own zone and when he was given a golden opportunity to score he blew it. That's why the Flyers are in trouble if he's used as anything more than a short term injury replacement. He's been an offensive black hole all season, with zero points in 220+ minutes without Ghost.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1637&withagainst=true&season=2015-16&sit=5v5

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
He managed to get thru a game without making a calamitous defensive error, but still struggled to move the puck out of his own zone and when he was given a golden opportunity to score he blew it. That's why the Flyers are in trouble if he's used as anything more than a short term injury replacement. He's been an offensive black hole all season, with zero points in 220+ minutes without Ghost.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1637&withagainst=true&season=2015-16&sit=5v5

^^^this^^

not to mention it remains to be seen if his last game was anything more then a blip on the radar..i dont expect to see his performance from last game repeated..

im sure he will be right back to usual Manning brain fart mode next game and going forward

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

That was an epic chest snipe lol.

Someone should tell him that trying to score isn't like trying to kill an assailant. Aiming center mass is the last place you want to aim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad