Post-Game Talk: #40: Islanders at Flyers, Saturday, January 9, 2016

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Gudas has become everything Schenn didn't.

sAGWVio6.jpeg

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Laughton's line has been better the last two games, ice time has jumped too. If they can keep it up plus ditch Umberger to the pressbox things might start looking better with our bottom 6.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Just finished the game.

In the first period when Voracek set up Manning, if it were Ghost that would have been a goal.

The Islanders gave Medvedev all the time in the world to shoot on his goal.

I think Giroux goes on a tear soon.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The only reall bummer today was the PP going 0/5.

Laughton's line has been better the last two games, ice time has jumped too. If they can keep it up plus ditch Umberger to the pressbox things might start looking better with our bottom 6.

I'm just wondering how they would line up since Weal seems like he's a center. Maybe Laughton-Weal-Read.

The possession numbers the MDZ-Gudas pairing are putting up continue to be amazing. :amazed: Less amazing is Manning being lowest on the team yet again. :snide:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I am interested to see what Couts fance stats were today...especially in regards to Tavares. Nice to have a player who turns top players invisible.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I am interested to see what Couts fance stats were today...especially in regards to Tavares. Nice to have a player who turns top players invisible.

At 5v5

2GF, 0GA
85.71% Shots for

He was the forward Couturier faced most. (~6:something against each other... can't remember off top of head.)

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Guaranteed weal sits out. Hakstol hardly shifts lineup when the team wins

Yeah, I don't know why anyone ever expects a lineup change when we're winning. Hakstol has made it obvious he rides a winning streak out before changing anything. Which has it's pros and cons.

When I see the 1st line I see 3 players who are pretty good individually but I don't see much chemistry right now. Which is strange because Voracek and Simmonds had great chemistry when they were playing with Couturier.

Not that strange to me. The best lines this year have had Couturier centering it. Voracek-Couturier-Simmonds and lately just whoever they put with him tends to do better. Which also makes sense considering Couturier historically outpossesses the opposition almost regardless of who it is and is a young guy with a great two-way game. He's reliable, improving, and helps carry possession. All those things are bound to help wingers who can capitalize on favorable possession time.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California

Couturier with Tavares on the ice:
9:24 TOI together
58.82% Corsi For
58.33% Fenwick For
20% Offensive zone starts (Tavares got 80% offensive zone starts against Couturier)
2 goals for

Tavares without Couturier on the ice
76.92% Corsi For
60% Fenwick For

Edit: Couturier overall:
64.71% Corsi For
60% Fenwick For
50% Offensive zone starts
16:03 TOI

Check out NaturalStatTrick.com for fancy stats

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
to quasi quote buddy ryan..."id trade umberger for a six-pack and it wouldnt even have to be cold." cant wait until hes down the road.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would like them to call up Ghoul for the Boston game to attack Zac.

Love this idea.

There needs to be retribution for the hit on Couturier, especially since the league once again screwed the pooch.

beetee15

Long Island Bullies
May 26, 2010
Long Island
umberger is the momentum KILLER. every time we have sustained pressure he totally kills the vibe. other than that great 60 minute effort out of the boys

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I had to buy a car in the morning then rushed to make it to the game so I didn't have time to read any Flyers news pregame, was there a specific reason Weal was scratched? Was disappointed to get to the game and see Umberger playing

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I had to buy a car in the morning then rushed to make it to the game so I didn't have time to read any Flyers news pregame, was there a specific reason Weal was scratched? Was disappointed to get to the game and see Umberger playing

Combination of them coming off a win with the same lineup & getting more practices for Weal before he sees game action.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
i would rather have him do something dumb late in the game and score a PP goal late to beat them instead.
no need to stoop to the stupidity. Anyway, if the Flyers want to get someone to fight Rinaldo I am sure there are a few guys who can step up. Like White.

It's not stupidity in this case. He took a vicious cheap shot at our guy and wasn't punished - we don't need to send a message, necessarily, but one wouldn't go amiss either. I'm not suggesting we go back to the Bullies' style, but in this one instance we surely could afford to unleash some unhinged brute force.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
i would rather have him do something dumb late in the game and score a PP goal late to beat them instead.
no need to stoop to the stupidity. Anyway, if the Flyers want to get someone to fight Rinaldo I am sure there are a few guys who can step up. Like White.

Or Boxcar? :sarcasm:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It's not stupidity in this case. He took a vicious cheap shot at our guy and wasn't punished - we don't need to send a message, necessarily, but one wouldn't go amiss either. I'm not suggesting we go back to the Bullies' style, but in this one instance we surely could afford to unleash some unhinged brute force.

If they want Rinaldo to answer for the hit with a fight there is no need to call someone up. They have more than a few guys who can step up.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
When was the last time we actually had a second line that was playing like a legit second line in this league? Gotta love the Couts line.

Matt Read was playing his best game of the season and Brandon Manning was quietly having the best game of his short NHL career.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Brandon Manning was quietly having the best game of his short NHL career.

I was refereeing hoops all day yesterday and missed the game. Definitely plan on watching the replay today. Sounds like a good effort from everyone up and down the lineup.

This team is so frustrating. Just when they seem to be on a roll beating quality teams, they will lay an egg against the teams they "should" beat. Glad to hear Manning played a solid game, even though he only was on the ice for around 15:00. I did watch the scrap with Lee, and there wasn't really much to it. Lee looked good throwing a few rights, but only one might have landed, while Manning snuck one in on the way down and tried an uppercut as well.

The Boston game should be fun. I like listening to the Bruins broadcast, because you never know what type of hilarity will spew from Jack Edwards' mouth. He is the very definition of a HOMER announcer.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
I was refereeing hoops all day yesterday and missed the game. Definitely plan on watching the replay today. Sounds like a good effort from everyone up and down the lineup.

This team is so frustrating. Just when they seem to be on a roll beating quality teams, they will lay an egg against the teams they "should" beat. Glad to hear Manning played a solid game, even though he only was on the ice for around 15:00. I did watch the scrap with Lee, and there wasn't really much to it. Lee looked good throwing a few rights, but only one might have landed, while Manning snuck one in on the way down and tried an uppercut as well.

The Boston game should be fun. I like listening to the Bruins broadcast, because you never know what type of hilarity will spew from Jack Edwards' mouth. He is the very definition of a HOMER announcer.

Now I'm really confused.;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad