Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
How big do you think his neck will be when he gets to camp? I’m thinking 15, maaaaaaybe 16 inches around. But maybe I’m just getting ahead of myself here.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
His neck definitely got bigger, and his face looks more mature than it did at this time last year. Hopefully he has a great career with us.

demonic

Mar 10, 2005
1. The research on shot attempts shows that shot quality follows shot quantity. If you're allowing a lot of shots, you're probably also allowing a lot of good scoring chances. The best defensive teams are the ones that rarely spend time in their own ends.

2. You can use metrics like xGoals, which combine shot quantity and shot quality by weighing the likelihood of every shot attempt to result in a goal based on shot location, pre-shot movement, etc. If you use xGoals, the conclusion remains the same.

So yes, come again?

Also, the coached "not to take low-percentage shots" comment is patently false. I've played hockey for much of my life. I'm sure many others have as well. How many times have you heard coaches say "just get it on net"?

I've heard that, but I've also heard "A bad shot is a giveaway, hold on to it until you can create a real scoring chance". And from goalies "Just keep him to the outside and let me see the shot". Shot-based metrics have value [especially with larger sample sizes], but you can't deny that the raw data they are based on is still quite rudimentary. I'm sure this will improve in the next few years, and maybe then we'll start seeing some real correlation between advanced stats and Stanley Cup success, but until then I'm going to remain skeptical.

Last edited by a moderator:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
No one is taking him seriously until his neck looks like this
download-1.jpg

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Anyone know if his belly button is an inny or an Outty, since were diacussing meaningless and useless body parts now anyways. # necksize

I don't really care what size his neck is but you do realize that there are many benefits to having a thicker neck when it comes to high impact sports right? Not only does it occur naturally when you build other muscle groups but it also helps prevention of injuries etc. I highly doubt he's been focusing on neck exercises, so the fact that his neck looks bigger would suggest he has been gaining mass elsewhere, and due to him wearing a jersey all we can see is his neck.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I don't really care what size his neck is but you do realize that there are many benefits to having a thicker neck when it comes to high impact sports right? Not only does it occur naturally when you build other muscle groups but it also helps prevention of injuries etc. I highly doubt he's been focusing on neck exercises, so the fact that his neck looks bigger would suggest he has been gaining mass elsewhere, and due to him wearing a jersey all we can see is his neck.
I think he was being sarcastic

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
I think he was being sarcastic
Well if that's the case I hope Elias' belly button is an innie because that occurs more often in wealthier areas due to more highly trained medical professionals cutting the umbilical cord. This would suggest that Pettersson's family is wealthy and would have spent significant amounts of money on his training and equipment which as we all know means he will for sure be a bonafide #1C and future HHOF player

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Well if that's the case I hope Elias' belly button is an innie because that occurs more often in wealthier areas due to more highly trained medical professionals cutting the umbilical cord. This would suggest that Pettersson's family is wealthy and would have spent significant amounts of money on his training and equipment which as we all know means he will for sure be a bonafide #1C and future HHOF player

Plus outties are indisputably grody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino