Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lol what’s with the Beagle hate? Washington sure seemed to like him as well as the other ten teams that pithed offers. His contracts sucks but he is still a quality NHL player

39% corsi on a cup winner, and a 45% GF% despite a 104 PDO. He may have been the worst NHL regular last season. He was Tanner Glass bad.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Should we ignore deployment?

Even if you're buried in the D-zone, 39% is still particularly awful. 40% shot attempts/scoring chances is like the Mendoza line. If you can't crack that, you shouldn't be in the NHL.

Back in the heyday, an uber-defensively deployed Malhotra was 45+%. During the Blackhawks runs, Kruger (who had probably the worst zone start ratio of any regular NHLer) was around 50% IIRC. I'm not a Sutter fan by any stretch, but he had worse zone deployment (and tougher competition) yet was still 44/45% in corsi and xGoals. If you scroll through the lists of forwards with the toughest zone start ratios last year, Beagle is actually uniquely bad. Like, Faksa and Sissons were cracking 50% in tough deployment.

So yes, in sum, Beagle is not very good. And bringing him on in an effort to "teach" defense to Petterson is extremely foolish rationale.

Reactions: Catbug

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Great analysis and I agree.
#2 is somewhat relative with respect to age. It's safe to say he'll probably be at his best here once he hits his physical peak of 27

As for #8 and #10 , I haven't figured out whether he's reluctant or willing to do this at the NHL level. I'm happier if he consistently tries to do it and fails because he's small rather than not try at all

For reference, the list of attributes I think a centre should have is as follows:

1. Good at faceoffs
2. Strength to check down low
3. Read Dzone assignments
4. Navigate the neutral zone with the puck
5. Feed your wingers
6. Play in open ice more than the boards
7. Must have drive to backcheck
8. Go to the net
9. Play higher in the ozone
10. Support wingers on the offensive boards

Pettersson went to the net in the SHL, and he was quite often along the boards. The effort seems to be there. He also tended to fall down a lot.

Ultimately, the question may be: Where is he more effective? He could be a centre, but he's surpassed expectations as a winger. What is there to suggest that he will be just as effective as a centre? There was one game, IIRC, where he put up 4 points at the pivot, but then they moved him back to RW shortly thereafter...

I'm curious as to what people think will prevent Pettersson from becoming a C long-term? What issues do you foresee? This is a major question mark for this franchise.

demonic

Mar 10, 2005
I'm always fascinated by the "fancy stats are dumb" crowd who provide no logical explanation or counter-argument of their own.

I would bet that a good portion of that crowd has played hockey and been coached to allow low percentage shots, and also to not take low percentage shots.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I would bet that a good portion of that crowd has played hockey and been coached to allow low percentage shots, and also to not take low percentage shots.

Ya except allowing more shots (total) follows allowing more high quality shots as well. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an NHL player who allows few shots in total but all of those shots are high quality and none are low quality. Total shots against will still reflect both to a high degree.

demonic

Mar 10, 2005
Ya except allowing more low quality shots follows allowing more high quality shots. They aren’t unrelated.

Beg to differ. Every shot is both a scoring chance and a turnover chance, and the shot-based metrics fail to account for this. You can play a perfect defensive game and still get outshot, or you can be a guy with questionable hockey IQ like Jake Virtanen who shoots too often and ends up with a good Corsi.

Reactions: Catbug

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

1. The research on shot attempts shows that shot quality follows shot quantity. If you're allowing a lot of shots, you're probably also allowing a lot of good scoring chances. The best defensive teams are the ones that rarely spend time in their own ends.

2. You can use metrics like xGoals, which combine shot quantity and shot quality by weighing the likelihood of every shot attempt to result in a goal based on shot location, pre-shot movement, etc. If you use xGoals, the conclusion remains the same.

So yes, come again?

Also, the coached "not to take low-percentage shots" comment is patently false. I've played hockey for much of my life. I'm sure many others have as well. How many times have you heard coaches say "just get it on net"?

Last edited:
Reactions: CanaFan

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
What the hell am i reading in this thread. Peetey boy Pettersson will BEAST up the league this year and WIN the Calder easy breasy

Last edited by a moderator:

thelittlecoon

ELIAS PETTERSSON
Jun 19, 2017
Vancouver
38793890_2116826945017350_6394021262137491456_n.jpg

38777751_2116827031684008_1128997557515583488_n.jpg

Looks like he's got some more meat on that neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad