Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Ok so you think he probably doesn't care.

Its a pretty big deal, if both Hughes & Pettersson decline the Canucks for next season that is probably bye bye for Benning and Weisbro.

What do other people here think?

If this was cited as a concern and players don't come here then I don't see how you can't be concerned. That said, I don't see Pettersson not coming. His job is to play hockey and his logical next step is to come to the NHL. He's already won all there is to win at the SHL level.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Ok so you think he probably doesn't care.

Its a pretty big deal, if both Hughes & Pettersson decline the Canucks for next season that is probably bye bye for Benning and Weisbro.

What do other people here think?

I think you are buying into the drama and angst that propagates fan forums too much. I don't think most players or prospects really care what is going on in the front office unless or until it affects them. Why would either player delay their dream of playing in the NHL because an owner and team president had some sort of falling out? It's not like they can just sign with another team. Hughes would have to wait until the August following his final year of college and Pettersson would have to wait until he is 26 years old and a UFA.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think you are buying into the drama and angst that propagates fan forums too much. I don't think most players or prospects really care what is going on in the front office unless or until it affects them. Why would either player delay their dream of playing in the NHL because an owner and team president had some sort of falling out? It's not like they can just sign with another team. Hughes would have to wait until the August following his final year of college and Pettersson would have to wait until he is 26 years old and a UFA.

What am I buying in to exactly?
I think you are taking mt speculation as something more. Its summer. There isnt much to talk. He will most likely play for us next year. (does this need to be stated at every turn? )

Pettersson could do worse than spend the year at center in sweden.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls

Right on. The front office stuff is just noise. Players want to play and get paid, especially young players in a hurry to make the show.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
What am I buying in to exactly?
I think you are taking mt speculation as something more. Its summer. There isnt much to talk. He will most likely play for us next year. (does this need to be stated at every turn? )

Pettersson could do worse than spend the year at center in sweden.

Speculation about how it would look for the front office if Hughes and Pettersson both somehow refuse to play for the Canucks is like worrying about a volcano erupting under Los Angeles with only Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche to save the day. It's unlikely and not even particularly entertaining.

I see you are from "Lapland" - I'm sorry, but Pettersson is not going to play in Sweden this season, or any other season excepting a strike/lockout or some other such interruption in the NHL season. If he doesn't make the squad in October, the Canucks will want him in Utica where he can be called up later in the season.

Hughes will sign with the Canucks - either at the end of his NCAA season or if he leads Michigan to a long play off run or National Championship, in the summer. He is near NHL ready now and is not going to wait 3 years to start his pro career.

Los Angeles is not in a volcanic zone.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Speculation about how it would look for the front office if Hughes and Pettersson both somehow refuse to play for the Canucks is like worrying about a volcano erupting under Los Angeles with only Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche to save the day. It's unlikely and not even particularly entertaining.

I see you are from "Lapland" - I'm sorry, but Pettersson is not going to play in Sweden this season, or any other season excepting a strike/lockout or some other such interruption in the NHL season. If he doesn't make the squad in October, the Canucks will want him in Utica where he can be called up later in the season.

Hughes will sign with the Canucks - either at the end of his NCAA season or if he leads Michigan to a long play off run or National Championship, in the summer. He is near NHL ready now and is not going to wait 3 years to start his pro career.

Los Angeles is not in a volcanic zone.

He may play in Sweden. I hope he is smart enough to get an SHL out if he isn't playing in Vancouver.

And to some extent it is, depending on definition. The nearest volcano is closer to San Diego than Los Angles but the Salton Butes is considered a high threat potential.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
One of the biggest question marks facing this franchise: Can Pettersson fully convert to being an NHL C? Here's an audio clip with JD Burke discussing exactly this:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/burke-can-pettersson-play-centre-for-the-canucks-1.1154278

I've also done some digging on his points spread in Allsvenskan. He registered at least a point in 29 of his total 43 games played. Of those 29 games, another centre contributed at least a point on the same play, or plays (multi-point games). This means that there were only 16 games where we can be reasonably sure that he was centering his line. Now of course, this comes with two major caveats:

- Just because another centre didn't figure into the scoring play, doesn't mean that one wasn't on the ice at the time.

- The games where he went scoreless, he could have played centre. That would be 14 of the 43 games.

Basically, we can only be sure (reasonably) that he played C in a 1/3~ of his total Allsvenskan games. This is his draft year, where he projected primarily to be a centre.

----------------------------------------

The other side of this are the requirements to be a C in the NHL. The projection goes something akin to:

1. Good at faceoffs
2. Strength to check down low
3. Read Dzone assignments
4. Navigate the neutral zone with the puck
5. Feed your wingers
6. Play in open ice more than the boards
7. Must have drive to backcheck
8. Go to the net
9. Play higher in the ozone
10. Support wingers on the offensive boards

And more...

Of those many facets, I think Pettersson will struggle with #2, #8 and #10. Is that enough to keep him away from centre ice?

Also, it was noted that even though his face off volume was limited, he still won a requisite number of draws. 51% I believe. This is why I think he can adapt to the face off circle. It's the other aspects of being a C that I'd be more interested in evaluating here. Pettersson needs to be a C for VAN.

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
He may play in Sweden. I hope he is smart enough to get an SHL out if he isn't playing in Vancouver.

And to some extent it is, depending on definition. The nearest volcano is closer to San Diego than Los Angles but the Salton Butes is considered a high threat potential.
There is almost no chance unless he doesn’t make the Canucks, and I can promise you because benning has said it, he’ll make the Canucks.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I think Petterson is a perfect pairing with Eriksson and playing together is going to both inflate Loui's numbers -- he'll put up his best season as a Canuck -- and also make Petterson feel more comfortable and at hone with his new team/league. It's the first time I've been glad we have Eriksson since we got him.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I think Petterson is a perfect pairing with Eriksson and playing together is going to both inflate Loui's numbers -- he'll put up his best season as a Canuck -- and also make Petterson feel more comfortable and at hone with his new team/league. It's the first time I've been glad we have Eriksson since we got him.

Glad??

I wouldn't go that far.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
With the Sedins gone, our elder Swedish statesmen are gone. Now it's Edler and Erikson to make Petterson feel at home in the dressing room. And playing on the same line? That's huge. Yeah, I'm glad. Erikson has been a terrible fit until now. He's finally got a role to play on this team.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Sometimes older players that seem uninspired and washed up can find new passion for the game when they get paired with elite, young talent. That happened when Gaudreau came to Calgary. I'd definitely give Eriksson a nice long look with Pettersson. Their skills should synergize pretty well in theory.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Sometimes older players that seem uninspired and washed up can find new passion for the game when they get paired with elite, young talent. That happened when Gaudreau came to Calgary. I'd definitely give Eriksson a nice long look with Pettersson. Their skills should synergize pretty well in theory.
Eriksson? Passion? :) that was good

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes Loui for once needs to be a reliable entity. If he can play like he's capable then he should be a decent compliment of skills for Elias and I would agree he should play with him.

Would love to see a Pettersson Baertschi Eriksson trio be an effective 12-15 minute even strength line.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
The nearest volcano is closer to San Diego than Los Angles but the Salton Butes is considered a high threat potential.
Well then, thank God we still have Tommy Lee Jones around. I am less sold on Anne Heche. I think she may choose to fight volcanoes in Sweden.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it is too bad pettersson did not get to watch a season of henrik. i think we underestimate the value of having skilled veterans for young players to watch and learn from in game situations. that said, i don't have much doubt pettersson will transition to centre as he physically matures even if he plays his entire rookie season on the wing. vaxjo just put a veteran centre on his line when he played centre so they could spell him in and out, and i am sure the canucks will do the same.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
it is too bad pettersson did not get to watch a season of henrik. i think we underestimate the value of having skilled veterans for young players to watch and learn from in game situations. that said, i don't have much doubt pettersson will transition to centre as he physically matures even if he plays his entire rookie season on the wing. vaxjo just put a veteran centre on his line when he played centre so they could spell him in and out, and i am sure the canucks will do the same.

No worries, that's why we got Beagle.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Yeah, and to show how a real pro puts on their jock before the game etc.

you mock, but they do need some guys like that and beagle can teach pettersson some stuff.

that said, it would have been way better for pettersson to have watched a former art ross winner play centre for a year.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
One of the biggest question marks facing this franchise: Can Pettersson fully convert to being an NHL C? Here's an audio clip with JD Burke discussing exactly this:

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/burke-can-pettersson-play-centre-for-the-canucks-1.1154278

I've also done some digging on his points spread in Allsvenskan. He registered at least a point in 29 of his total 43 games played. Of those 29 games, another centre contributed at least a point on the same play, or plays (multi-point games). This means that there were only 16 games where we can be reasonably sure that he was centering his line. Now of course, this comes with two major caveats:

- Just because another centre didn't figure into the scoring play, doesn't mean that one wasn't on the ice at the time.

- The games where he went scoreless, he could have played centre. That would be 14 of the 43 games.

Basically, we can only be sure (reasonably) that he played C in a 1/3~ of his total Allsvenskan games. This is his draft year, where he projected primarily to be a centre.

----------------------------------------

The other side of this are the requirements to be a C in the NHL. The projection goes something akin to:

1. Good at faceoffs
2. Strength to check down low
3. Read Dzone assignments
4. Navigate the neutral zone with the puck
5. Feed your wingers
6. Play in open ice more than the boards
7. Must have drive to backcheck
8. Go to the net
9. Play higher in the ozone
10. Support wingers on the offensive boards

And more...

Of those many facets, I think Pettersson will struggle with #2, #8 and #10. Is that enough to keep him away from centre ice?

Also, it was noted that even though his face off volume was limited, he still won a requisite number of draws. 51% I believe. This is why I think he can adapt to the face off circle. It's the other aspects of being a C that I'd be more interested in evaluating here. Pettersson needs to be a C for VAN.

Great analysis and I agree.
#2 is somewhat relative with respect to age. It's safe to say he'll probably be at his best here once he hits his physical peak of 27

As for #8 and #10 , I haven't figured out whether he's reluctant or willing to do this at the NHL level. I'm happier if he consistently tries to do it and fails because he's small rather than not try at all

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
you mock, but they do need some guys like that and beagle can teach pettersson some stuff.

that said, it would have been way better for pettersson to have watched a former art ross winner play centre for a year.

I mock because it is mock worthy.

What is Jay Beagle going to teach Elias Pettersson about playing hockey?

"Here Elias- this is how you dangle in the NHL" LOL.

Or are all of his intangibles just going to rub off on Pettersson by osmosis?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I mock because it is mock worthy.

What is Jay Beagle going to teach Elias Pettersson about playing hockey?

"Here Elias- this is how you dangle in the NHL" LOL.

Or are all of his intangibles just going to rub off on Pettersson by osmosis?

Jay Beagle has been a Cap since 2008-09. They were one of the biggest playoff busts until 2017-18. Based on how long it took for Jay Beagle to positively influence a talented Caps roster i’d suggest slow osmosis is probably the leading candidate.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
With the Sedins gone, our elder Swedish statesmen are gone. Now it's Edler and Erikson to make Petterson feel at home in the dressing room. And playing on the same line? That's huge. Yeah, I'm glad. Erikson has been a terrible fit until now. He's finally got a role to play on this team.

The two players who never talk lol.

They both can barely skate anymore.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Jay Beagle has been a Cap since 2008-09. They were one of the biggest playoff busts until 2017-18. Based on how long it took for Jay Beagle to positively influence a talented Caps roster i’d suggest slow osmosis is probably the leading candidate.

That must be why he got a long term deal.

Reactions: CanaFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad