Player Discussion #40 Elias Pettersson, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kallor

May 15, 2015
What happens if one or more of Gaudette/Dahlen/ Goldobin etc. outplay Pettersson during camp and preseason.

Will mgmt be willing to send him down and start a different youngster or will they give him the Virtanen treatment?

theoriginalBCF

Jan 29, 2018
What happens if one or more of Gaudette/Dahlen/ Goldobin etc. outplay Pettersson during camp and preseason.

Will mgmt be willing to send him down and start a different youngster or will they give him the Virtanen treatment?
The likeliness of that happening is minuscule. Maybe they should send Goldobin to the SHL?

kallor

May 15, 2015
I don't think it's that far fetched to suggest 3 older prospects who are more physically mature and have played pro hockey in NA already have a chance of outplaying Pettersson prior to the season starting.

I do expect he will do well and will earn a spot but I hope this group is prepared to send him down if/when necessary.

The thing I fear most for Pettersson is the McCann Gym Plan treatment.

Reactions: Nick1219

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Just not that many slots on the roster for kids.

I don't kind if he plays some AHL hockey to begin his career.

And I hope he was smart enough to have a SEL out in his contract. This young guy doesn't have to prove anything. Ranked as the number one drafted player not in the NHL, why in the world would you send him to the AHL. He's not going to develop better there, and give him the NHL salary.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
And I hope he was smart enough to have a SEL out in his contract. This young guy doesn't have to prove anything. Ranked as the number one drafted player not in the NHL, why in the world would you send him to the AHL. He's not going to develop better there, and give him the NHL salary.

The salary is the issue. Him playing in the ahl isnt.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Just not that many slots on the roster for kids.

I don't kind if he plays some AHL hockey to begin his career.
There are literally only 2 forwards on the roster that are better than him right now. Unless he plays like absolute shit, he better be on the roster.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
There are literally only 2 forwards on the roster that are better than him right now. Unless he plays like absolute ****, he better be on the roster.

Oh thats true. But we have weird contracts.

Also he could transition back to center whilr getting used to the NA rink and style far easier in the AHL.

Im not advocating it but the idea isnt without all merit.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I don't think it's that far fetched to suggest 3 older prospects who are more physically mature and have played pro hockey in NA already have a chance of outplaying Pettersson prior to the season starting.

I do expect he will do well and will earn a spot but I hope this group is prepared to send him down if/when necessary.

The thing I fear most for Pettersson is the McCann Gym Plan treatment.
Even if he is outplayed you still put him on team. Horvat was not great when he made team but he got better and better. There may be an adjustment but there is no doubt that the talent is there. My prediction is that like last year it will take some time to get comfortable then he will take off. He is a lot better than Jake and McCann and is a bit older as well. If he was a CHL player he could go to ahl something unavailable to 2 players above because of their age.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Even if he is outplayed you still put him on team. Horvat was not great when he made team but he got better and better. There may be an adjustment but there is no doubt that the talent is there. My prediction is that like last year it will take some time to get comfortable then he will take off. He is a lot better than Jake and McCann and is a bit older as well. If he was a CHL player he could go to ahl something unavailable to 2 players above because of their age.
Yep you have to be patient with Elias.

Just look at his season with Vaxjo this year. Started rather poorly then all of a sudden BOOM. In my decades of stat watching, last year was stat watching paradise.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
By the end of the year I would love there to be space for EP, Dahlen, Gaudette, Goldobin, Juolevi, Virtanen, Hughes, and Demko. It would mean that our prospects are progressing well, and that the team has moved out some serious dead weight (and ideally acquired a few picks). I know that icing that many rookies is a risk, but we aren't competing for the cup or even the playoffs this year, and they would still be surrounded by a goodly number of vets. I don't think this is likely to happen though.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think that's a common misleading misconception, personally. Horvat was not as flashy, dynamic, or productive as other players that preseason, but his fundamentals were stronger, and he looked a lot more NHL ready to me at the time. Contrary to popular belief, there should have been nothing questionable or indicative of non-meritocracy about him making the team that year, IMO, but that seemed to be the persisting narrative anyways because he wasn't putting up points.

It was the opposite of Virtanen's preseason when he made the team, where his fundamentals looked awful and didn't look ready at all, but had a few flash in the pan big moments (McDavid hit + some production) and was propped up onto the team prematurely.

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Do we know for sure Elias is coming to NA next season?

With the tumultuous situation in Canuck front office could he go for a 2nd year in Sweden to bulk up a bit?

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Do we know for sure Elias is coming to NA next season?

With the tumultuous situation in Canuck front office could he go for a 2nd year in Sweden to bulk up a bit?
Why would a player care if we are missing a figure head of a president?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
His job is to play hockey. I doubt he cares if Jim looks stupid in his interviews

I don't know what your point is here. The front-office is in turmoil with the owner saying one thing and the GM saying another with the president leaving 6 weeks from training camp because he didn't agree with the direction of the team.

Wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to be a part of the tire fire next season is set up to be.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I don't know what your point is here. The front-office is in turmoil with the owner saying one thing and the GM saying another with the president leaving 6 weeks from training camp because he didn't agree with the direction of the team.

Wouldn't blame him if he doesn't want to be a part of the tire fire next season is set up to be.
My point is Elias doesn’t give a frank. He plays for coach Green and not for Aquilini and Linden. As far as I can tell, the organization has treated the kid great. He is a competitor that wants to test himself against the best in the world. The front office may be In Turmoil but is the coaching staff? No. Seems like you are looking for drama that doesn’t exist

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
My point is Elias doesn’t give a frank. He plays for coach Green and not for Aquilini and Linden. As far as I can tell, the organization has treated the kid great. He is a competitor that wants to test himself against the best in the world. The front office may be In Turmoil but is the coaching staff? No. Seems like you are looking for drama that doesn’t exist

Ok so you think he probably doesn't care.

Its a pretty big deal, if both Hughes & Pettersson decline the Canucks for next season that is probably bye bye for Benning and Weisbro.

What do other people here think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad