4 teams left, who are the updated leading Conn Smythe candidates?

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Montreal: Price, and he's #1 overall for the Conn Smythe race, hands down. He's by far the MVP to his own team.

Vegas: Fleury as of right now, followed by Stone

NYI: I'd go with JGP

Tampa: Kucherov, followed by Vasi

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it's Kucherov over Vasy right now for TB.

1. Kucherov
2. Vasy
3. Point
4. Stamkos

Hedman is getting healthier, so he could jump to #1 by the time the conversation matters. And Point seems to be elevating his game by the series. He's a monster in the playoffs, and just warming up.

Side note, I think this is the first time Stamkos has been really good in playoffs, which should scare people.

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
I think it's Kucherov over Vasy right now for TB.

1. Kucherov
2. Vasy
3. Point
4. Stamkos

Side note, I think this is the first time Stamkos has been really good in playoffs, which should scare people.

Seems like stamkos would have decent series but then disappear in the next. I think its fair to say this has been a consistent playoff for him so far. 2nd line also looks way better than last year with him on it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Could Price get it if he loses?
If he plays well, sure.

Ron Hextall won in 87. He was insane that year. Montreal thoroughly dominated the Flyers in the playoffs but Hextall would flip the puck over the glass whenever Philly was in trouble. People say that Brodeur is the reason for the rule change but I’d point to Hextall as the best example of why it was needed. He stood on his head that year and no goalie has ever been better at handling the puck.

Reactions: WeaponOfChoice

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
Vasi was the big MVP for the Carolina series IMO. That series would have gone on longer if he hadn't stole a couple of games.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Fleury has been so hot and cold these playoffs I wonder if that will keep him from winning the Smythe.

I know the Knights don't have a lot of "major" scorers, but the tail end of the Minnesota series really hurt and he even struggled early against Colorado.

The last goaltenders to win the Smythe had a .946 and .940 save percentage, respectively (on teams with their best players scoring at a similar clip to the Knights). Does Fleury need to reach that level to win? I think he definitely needs to at least get closer to those numbers to have a real shot.

Cam Ward won it with a .920 save percentage, but we are also going back 15 years for a comparable. Other than that, the majority of goaltenders who win it post at least a .930 save percentage, going back to Mike Vernon's .927 in 1997. I understand numbers aren't everything, but I am not sure if Fleury is a special enough case to be given extra leniency in that regard.
So basically like every other playoffs for Fleury.

As a Wings fan Im not rooting for Tampa but it would be funny for them to win the Cup with the Smythe going to Kucherov just so all the whiners about the cap and tax advantages would lose their minds.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think the fact the Isles don't have a clear winner makes them a nightmare to play. they really are the Finland of the Final 4. Well coached and very balanced. I agree with above.. give the Smyth to Trotz Or Chia since he gifted them so many good players.lol

LV - Stone is just a beaut!
Tampa - Vasi followed by Kucherov (remember these sorts of things when saying Russians have no heart)
Montreal - Price

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Can the Conn Smythe go to a coach? Give it to Trotz lmao

Trotz is the best coach in the game but the Isles players are getting severely underrated. People say we are severely outmatched on paper to a team like the Bruins -- which is true at the top end, but not in the middle and the bottom end. (The Lightning are different and have the best roster in the league). As much as Lou and Trotz have brought them along, previous coaching, management, and ownership held them back. It goes both ways. Players like Josh Bailey were essentially ruined and rushed into the league on cap floor teams that nobody wanted to play for, but is actually a damn good hockey player.

Not to mention they have a ton of playoff experience together. Trotz certainly gets the most out of them, there's no denying that, but people are acting like a coaching god keeps taking an AHL team to the semifinals when it's a ton of first round NHL picks.

The problem is that nobody here knows how to evaluate talent until that person puts up points. Then that person is good. But there's zero ability to contextualize that. Are they in a good situation now? Be it a system, a line, a division, a role, etc. Is someone in a bad position now and therefore looks bad but is actually a good player? Nobody knows.

When Isles fans kept saying how good Pelech is, nobody really listened. He's not flashy, not a lot of points, kinda bald. But now that we've made some deep runs and John Forslund and Pierre McGuire give the nauseating full name "Adam Pelech" treatment like they say "Kristopher Letang", then now he's good. That's how it works. That's how player assessment goes, that's how the league awards go, that's how it all goes. And every hockey circle thinks the pundits and the league and the refs are complete idiots but then turn around and do the same exact shit.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Everyone saying Barzal clearly hasn’t watch the Islanders the whole playoffs. He’s easily #5 on the list behind Pageau, Pelech, Palmieri, both goalies

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Point isn't getting enough love. I think it'd be him or Kucherov for Tampa. Vas wasn't good at all in the first round.
Obviously Price for Montreal and Fleury for Vegas.
If the Islanders win the cup, it'll be somebody from the other team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, , at this point for the Isles it would be Pelech for me and not especially a close call either.

Fair or not, I'd be hugely surprised if the Conn Smythe is awarded to someone with so little offensive production. He's got 2 points in 12 games, so that paces for roughly 4 points if the Isles win all four rounds. The only comparable to Pelech winning was Scott Stevens in 1999-2000, when he was more of an elite shutdown D at that point in his career. But even he had 11 points in 23 games that playoff run.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Who is @Big Phil favorite? Got to be Stamkos, right? He's the only likeable star player left.
And if the Islanders somehow win the cup could we see Price or Fleury still win it in a tight series that goes 7 games? I mean it devalues the Conn Smythe to give it to some no name jobber like Pageau or Bailey...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Everyone saying Barzal clearly hasn’t watch the Islanders the whole playoffs. He’s easily #5 on the list behind Pageau, Pelech, Palmieri, both goalies

I didn't realize just how balanced scoring the Islanders are getting in the playoffs. 7 forwards have 8 points or more after 12 games. That's incredible depth production.

Reactions: buud

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
After watching the Avs run into their brick wall again and again, it’s either Stone or Pietrangelo, not Fleury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad