4 teams left, who are the updated leading Conn Smythe candidates?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Montreal - Carey Price. It really won't be anyone else. Tyler Toffoli is their leading scorer. If by some miracle the Habs win, it will be Price who will have to stand on his head beyond all reason.

Tampa - Kucherov, Vasi, Stamkos, Point and Hedman. Right now your leader is Kucherov, he has 18 points. Two rounds left, so any of the others could have a big round and be right there too.

Islanders - None of the goalies as they have split time. Could be Pageau, Barzal, Nelson, Bailey, etc. No one standing out.

Vegas - It has to be Fleury for sure. After that maybe Stone? But in reality after Fleury you have about 5 guys who could make their mark. Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Marchessault all have a shot too with strong playoffs, but it is clearly Fleury as the noticeable favourite on this team.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Habs - Price. I'd argue Price is #1 overall going into round 3. It helps his case that Habs are an underdog - but he's also played absolutely lights out (especially against Toronto - Jets just kinda sucked).

Tampa - Kucherov. A lot here are saying Vasi - and i'll be the first to admit i've watched very little Tampa games so far, so this is more me stat watching. But Kucherov has 18 points in 11 games. If he maintains that pace over 25 games, that's 41 points, or more than anyone not name Gretzky/Lemieux, ever. He'll probably slow down in scoring in rounds 3 & 4 if they go that far - but until he does, he's the favorite. I'd have him quite close to Price - slight edge to Price though.

Just like it was the case last year though - if Tampa does win the cup, there'll be a lot of contenders with such a deep team. Kuch may be in the lead, but any of Vasi, Point, Stamkos, Hedman could still catch up and overtake him. Who knows even someone like Killorn doing good so far. But as of round 2 - it's Kuch in the lead easily.

Vegas - Fleury, I guess?

NYI - I honestly have no idea lol. I haven't watched - and reading Islander fan posts, a few are saying Barzal, and then a few are naming at least 6 players above Barzal. So.....one of 7-8 guys?

Reactions: Hint1k and D1az

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
Not too many “sexy” picks on the Islanders- but I would say Pelech has been the best, and most important contributor night-in, night out. Huge, quality minutes against Crosby, Perfection Line, and were they to win the SCF- Tampa’s stars and whoever’s waiting in the SCFs top line.

I suppose it could change if Barzal goes off the next two rounds or Varly completely shuts the door the rest of the way though… one or both of which may need to happen for this to even be a discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: SirJW and sebsisles

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Outside shot but if Pageau continues his strong 200 ft game... he's got 13 pts in 12 games. His +11 is second overall to Mayfield's +12.

Reactions: buud and Leaves34

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
For the Isles, the front runner has to be Pageau for the work he's done offensively and defensively. He leads the NYI in points while probably playing the toughest minutes among forwards. Total stud

HM: Pelech, Palmieri

Reactions: buud and Rec T

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
If you watched the Colorado series, it shouldn't be Fleury. Their shot suppression and forecheck won that series. Every time the Avs started pressing and getting shots to Fleury, he was letting them in. Pietrangelo or Marchessault, or Stone if he picks it up now that he doesn't have to babysit the MacKinnon line.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
On LVGK Pietrangelo is #2 behind Fleury.
Yeah. Marchessault has stepped up big time but he's also benefitting from his whole line waking up and playing like it's the inaugural season again.

Pietrangelo spent the season looking at times like only the fourth best defenseman on the team behind Theodore, Martinez, and Whitecloud but in these playoffs he's played like the guy we expected when he got just shy of 9 million dollars.

But as much wear and tear as Fleury showed in round 2, he made the big saves that made the wins in game 5 and 6 possible and we definitely wouldn't have gotten through Minnesota is he hadn't played so well.

Reactions: Sentinel

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I’m guessing it’s gonna be a Vegas Tampa and it’s gonna be a tough one for a goalie to win
Stone or Kutcherov with Kutcherov for the win. Even has the story of coming from injury to lead his team.
But otherwise definitely Price and Isles any of 5 players so I’ll go with Trotz

Reactions: KuchieKooRov

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Fleury has been so hot and cold these playoffs I wonder if that will keep him from winning the Smythe.

I know the Knights don't have a lot of "major" scorers, but the tail end of the Minnesota series really hurt and he even struggled early against Colorado.

The last goaltenders to win the Smythe had a .946 and .940 save percentage, respectively (on teams with their best players scoring at a similar clip to the Knights). Does Fleury need to reach that level to win? I think he definitely needs to at least get closer to those numbers to have a real shot.

Cam Ward won it with a .920 save percentage, but we are also going back 15 years for a comparable. Other than that, the majority of goaltenders who win it post at least a .930 save percentage, going back to Mike Vernon's .927 in 1997. I understand numbers aren't everything, but I am not sure if Fleury is a special enough case to be given extra leniency in that regard.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Tampa - Kucherov or Vasilevsky
NYI - Pageau (can't give it to a goaltender if they continue splitting the net)
VGK - Fleury
MTL - Price

KuchieKooRov

Aug 13, 2020
He's been good for the lightning but not Price good. I'd agree against the Canes he was their best player though.
Overall, I'd still lean towards Kucherov on Tampa so far.
Not picking on you but Vasi leads in one the most important categorizes, GSAE goals saved above expected at 12.9, price is next at 8.6 so yes he has been Price good, actually better. His high danger sv % is also better than Price.
If Vasi continues this trend and Tampa makes it to the finals, there is a great chance he could be the con smyth favorite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad