Friedman: 4 Teams front-runners for Jaden Schwartz- Seattle, Van, Col, LA

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
As a Canucks fan I honestly hope it happens because an offer sheet will be a better contract than Benning could negotiate in his own. Let another team/GM figure out the contract then force Benning to sign it.

Probably don't have the cap space for an offer sheet though without trading other guys. Offer sheet probably comes in at $9.5m over 7 years at minimum & up to $10.2m, with compensation of 2 firsts, one 2nd & one 3rd round pick. Anything about $10.2m is four 1sts.

Vancouver is definitely vulnerable to offer sheets because of their cap situation.

We'll see if it actually happens. Majority of years it's all talk.

Reactions: Love

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Probably don't have the cap space for an offer sheet though without trading other guys. Offer sheet probably comes in at $9.5m over 7 years at minimum & up to $10.2m, with compensation of 2 firsts, one 2nd & one 3rd round pick. Anything about $10.2m is four 1sts.

Vancouver is definitely vulnerable to offer sheets because of their cap situation.

If the offer sheet is over 5 years, you average the total dollars over 5 years to determine RFA compensation, so those contracts you proposed would all be in the 4 1sts range.

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
So in this thread:

Possible:
Canucks need to worry about a thing that happened once in 2007 ( offer sheet not matched)

Not Possible:
Seattle drafts a stanley cup winning, backupgoalie on an expiring contract over AHLers like Lind Gadjovich Rafferty

Gotcha!

This aged well.

Not Possible:
Seattle drafts a stanley cup winning, backupgoalie on an expiring contract over AHLers like Lind Gadjovich Rafferty

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Benning realizes his top two players and RFAs still need to be signed right? Get that ink down before you go after Schwartz and Hyman

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
laughable all the hockey fans bashing Vancouver and the cap space issues...for 1 only EP40 can even receive an offer sheet, Hughes has 0 rights so he can sit and wait if he balks at contract offers sent his way, ain't gonna be an offer sheet coming his way, 0% chance!

What team is offer EP40 a 10m per season offer sheet??? He is likely doing a similar deal to Barzal then cash in after flat cap is over.

Schwartz has won a Stanley Cup, so he may not have the urge to go sign for less with say Colorado Vs another team offering more term and or more $$$. He would look good on almost any teams top 6, always been a fan of his and if the Canucks didn't rush to re sign Pearson for over 3m after his dreadful year maybe we could have a more legit shot at Schwartz, but Canucks need to fix the D!

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Love Schwartz and what he brings and he'd be a great complement to LA's young talent. I'd love something to work.

Iafallo-Kopitar-Turcotte
Schwartz-Byfield-Arvidsson
Moore-Vilardi-Kempe
Kupari-JAD-Brown

Something like that, haven't had my coffee yet, don't nitpick

Reactions: kilowatt

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I wonder if Vancouver is still in on Schwartz and would look at moving Miller for help on the backend

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I wonder if Vancouver is still in on Schwartz and would look at moving Miller for help on the backend

If they were going to move any forward—they’d probably move Boeser for an equivalent defenseman.

I think the team knows they are in a tough spot with his $7.5mm Qualifying Offer next year.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
I think we still need Miller at this point. Assuming Petersson can get better at face offs and Podkolzin can take a leap forward, moving Miller in the offseason next year should be the priority.

Anyways, I imagine we're out on Schwartz now. Top six is set and there's still a big hole on D.

Mergatroidskittle

Dec 26, 2015
If they were going to move any forward—they’d probably move Boeser for an equivalent defenseman.

I think the team knows they are in a tough spot with his $7.5mm Qualifying Offer next year.
No we f***ing wouldn’t holy shit where does this narrative come from?

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014

The narrative that we have no cap shows that people will parrot anything they hear and read without actually checking.
As of today Vancouver can spend 24.5 million after the Jake buyout, they can clear another 4 by buying out Holtby, giving them 29 million, 35 if they move Nate for picks but I think he stays.
Let's assume bridge deals for Petey and Quinn.
Petey-7ish
Quinn-5.5
Garland 5.
That's 17.5 million. That's 12.5 in cap left for an RHD, a backup if they decide dipietro isn't ready. Still gives them room to match anything and possibly even long-term deals.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
The drop-off from a player like Boeser to a replacement (let’s say Schwartz as an example) is a lot smaller than the drop-off between a legit top-four RD and Travis Hamonic.
Sure, but have you seen the market for RHD this year? Through the roof. You will not be happy with the RHD that Boeser returns if traded.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
The narrative that we have no cap shows that people will parrot anything they hear and read without actually checking.
As of today Vancouver can spend 24.5 million after the Jake buyout, they can clear another 4 by buying out Holtby, giving them 29 million, 35 if they move Nate for picks but I think he stays.
Let's assume bridge deals for Petey and Quinn.
Petey-7ish
Quinn-5.5
Garland 5.
That's 17.5 million. That's 12.5 in cap left for an RHD, a backup if they decide dipietro isn't ready. Still gives them room to match anything and possibly even long-term deals.

This was written prior to Vancouver trading away Eriksson et al and before the buyout of Virtanen. Benning has obviously made cleaning up the cap situation a priority before free agency, which is a smart move.

Reactions: GetFocht

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If Landeskog walks I hope Sakic aims higher via trade than just signing a broken Schwartz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad