Friedman: 4 Teams front-runners for Jaden Schwartz- Seattle, Van, Col, LA

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
In what world does Seattle take Holtby , dude struggles to be a backup

So in this thread:

Possible:
Canucks need to worry about a thing that happened once in 2007 ( offer sheet not matched)

Not Possible:
Seattle drafts a stanley cup winning, backupgoalie on an expiring contract over AHLers like Lind Gadjovich Rafferty

Gotcha!

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
The Blues are going to have so much cap space. I hope they use it. If Schwartz is gone and Tarasenko is traded without much salary coming back, we're looking at well over 20 million and only a few low-cost RFAs to sign. Of course, if they strike out in free agency, we're talking full-on rebuild or serious retool and hope they can be big players in free agency again next year. Gonna be interesting.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
So in this thread:

Possible:
Canucks need to worry about a thing that happened once in 2007 ( offer sheet not matched)

Not Possible:
Seattle drafts a stanley cup winning, backupgoalie on an expiring contract over AHLers like Lind Gadjovich Rafferty

Gotcha!
'' a stanley cup winning goalie''

he's paid close to 4.5m to backup and he can't do it properly. Or they could just pick Virtanen and flip him instead.
lmao

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
So in this thread:

Possible:

Not Possible:

Gotcha!

Seattle saves 4.3 million by not drafting the sweater hanging off the crossbar formerly known as Holtby and sticks Vancouver with his contract as they are in the same Division.

GOTCHA!

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
So in this thread:

Possible:

Not Possible:

Gotcha!

If you go by the Stanley cup winning goalie logic then Seattle is picking Quick before Holtby to be a backup. He won 2 Stanley cups.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Ok I will play. Vancouver signs Pettersson and Hughes for 15 million combined. Schwartz is going to cost you 5 - 6 million and Larsson is 4 million ( rumor has it he has already agreed to a deal in Edmonton) So there is another 10 million. You are still short 1 defenceman to make 6 and you short at forward. That is going to be a lot of sweetening to just make those two fit forget about filling out just the rest of a 20 man roster.
The team expects to have 3.5 million to add before any moves are made, freeing up an additional 8-10 million is most likely the amount of cap they already have in their back pockets according to the Athletic. We also have at least 5 guys that will be on elcs filling the spot of the vacated contracts. If they sign Larsson and Hamonic accepts his offer, they probably have a move lined up for Nate, Holtby and Jake are most likely done that's that 12+ right there.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Tvillewr419

May 17, 2019
I know right, seems like the quietest 57 pts in 71 games from the season before.

Blues fans can you chime in on what he does well

this blues fan absolutely loves him. He has had some season where his point totals are garbage but he also does a ton of things that don’t show up on the books. He’s a puck hound and before ROR wud have said he has the best motor of any blue. He is a handful in the corner and cycling the puck low, our biggest complaint is probably his hesitancy to shoot at times. Two years after he was drafted a lot of us said he wud be a future captain, so I see why teams wud want him. A kid who lost his sister a few years back and grew up in the NHL basically, lost his father last year unexpectedly I think right before camp, and yet he still performed.

I will miss him a ton if he leaves the blues.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
this blues fan absolutely loves him. He has had some season where his point totals are garbage but he also does a ton of things that don’t show up on the books. He’s a puck hound and before ROR wud have said he has the best motor of any blue. He is a handful in the corner and cycling the puck low, our biggest complaint is probably his hesitancy to shoot at times. Two years after he was drafted a lot of us said he wud be a future captain, so I see why teams wud want him. A kid who lost his sister a few years back and grew up in the NHL basically, lost his father last year unexpectedly I think right before camp, and yet he still performed.

I will miss him a ton if he leaves the blues.

I really like him as a player and will miss him, too, but his hesitance to shoot is far from his only flaw on the ice (I know you just said biggest complaint, just expanding on that).

He's not fast for his size and he is surprisingly ineffective on the powerplay. I'm not sure why, he always seemed like a powerplay monster in college and showed flashes of it early in his career, but over the years, it's like he just lost all of his assertiveness and creativity on the powerplay. Due to his lack of size and speed, even if he wins a puck battle, he sometimes can't do anything with it because he's still boxed in on the boards and can't escape checkers or make a move to the inside. So Schwartz will sometimes go several games in a row where basically all he does is jam for the puck along the boards in the neutral zone and fall down. He also has no idea how to screen goalies. He always drifts to the side so the goalie can see just fine and he makes an ineffective attempt at a deflection.
If he played around the net the way he does on the boards, I'd want the Blues to give him a blank check.

Reactions: Tvillewr419

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Vancouver has 3 D men under contract with Hughes and Pettersson to sign but are looking at signing Schwartz.
Only thing they should be doing right now is getting them signed. If they start booking a UFA or two I see an offer sheet coming down the pipe.

Pettersson is exactly the type of player you offer sheet.

Yup. Already whispers about it in Montreal if we lose Price and free up his money. Bergevin is crazy enough to do it too.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Wouldn’t like to see him on Colorado but we might swap Schwartz and Landeskog with each other lol.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Not afraid of it. But Vancouver should be. An offer sheet on Pettersson for 8 years and 10 million would put them in a world of hurt just to match.
Exactly. This would be a total Benning move, spend all his time forking out assets to overpay a vet then have someone else come in and offer sheet EP40 because he wasnt paying attention. So long affordable bridge deal.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Not interested in anyone looking for a retirement deal and a player only interested because he can live on the beach. LA needs character guys that will go to war for their teammates.

Reactions: kinghock

Tvillewr419

May 17, 2019
I really like him as a player and will miss him, too, but his hesitance to shoot is far from his only flaw on the ice (I know you just said biggest complaint, just expanding on that).

He's not fast for his size and he is surprisingly ineffective on the powerplay. I'm not sure why, he always seemed like a powerplay monster in college and showed flashes of it early in his career, but over the years, it's like he just lost all of his assertiveness and creativity on the powerplay. Due to his lack of size and speed, even if he wins a puck battle, he sometimes can't do anything with it because he's still boxed in on the boards and can't escape checkers or make a move to the inside. So Schwartz will sometimes go several games in a row where basically all he does is jam for the puck along the boards in the neutral zone and fall down. He also has no idea how to screen goalies. He always drifts to the side so the goalie can see just fine and he makes an ineffective attempt at a deflection.
If he played around the net the way he does on the boards, I'd want the Blues to give him a blank check.

ill agree with all these weaknesses lol. I’m a casual fan for about 12-15 years and never played myself so my analysis was high level casual at best!

still remember 2010-2011 drooling over him and VT91 in all the videos we cud get out the KHL and CC, crazy we might lose them both this off-season.. but I’ll never forget 2019 and will gladly buy their jerseys for $50 on clearance to rock at home games

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Kings have taken chances on oft-injured players in the past with good results. See: Justin Williams, Willie Mitchell. He would certainly improve the team.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Arvidsson
Kempe - Byfield - Schwartz
Andersson - Vilardi - Brown

This lineup still is bottom 3 bound, so why trading anything what we can get for free?

Reactions: kinghock

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
'' a stanley cup winning goalie''

he's paid close to 4.5m to backup and he can't do it properly. Or they could just pick Virtanen and flip him instead.
lmao

Flip him to who? Virtanen is poison rn. No point in Seattle taking him in the ED. If they want him they can sign him after Vancouver buys him out.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Why does Seattle take Holtby though? There are easily 4 or 5 better goalies then him to pick. So there may need to be one hell of a sweetener added there just to start.

Virtanan and Rousell save you 3,766,666 and Ferland saves you 3,500,000 but if you sign Schwartz or Larsson at the low end of 5 million and 4 million you are 2 million short.

You just spent 15 million to keep Pettersson and Hughes. Plus you need to replace even at league minimum the forwards you just bought out. So now you are 3.5 million short

You then Trade Schmidt for picks which is fine you are now a plus 2,450,000 but you still have to sign Dickenson, Joulevi, and a replacement for Schmidt just to give you a 20 man roster.

That looks a lot like last off season where Canucks needed to have 3 or 4 things break perfectly. How well did that work out last year? Do you really think Benning is that capable of pulling that off?

That plus why would they want to help their competition by creating more cap space for them?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Yup. Already whispers about it in Montreal if we lose Price and free up his money. Bergevin is crazy enough to do it too.

As a Canucks fan I honestly hope it happens because an offer sheet will be a better contract than Benning could negotiate in his own. Let another team/GM figure out the contract then force Benning to sign it.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
As a Canucks fan I honestly hope it happens because an offer sheet will be a better contract than Benning could negotiate in his own. Let another team/GM figure out the contract then force Benning to sign it.
You would be happy with $10.5 by 5 years?If Bergevin puts in a real offer sheet that's the offer. But he might put in a fake one again so there's that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad